Running Costs

According to NRMA it costs on average around $170/week to run the sportivo, the cheapets is the ascent around $140/week.

The most exopensive in this category out of the cars testes was the Wrx Sti at $287/week.

In a year you are looking at around $9,000 in running costs (excluding mods). To keep a car running for 5 years you are looking at $45,000 + cost of the car $30,000 = $75,000/5 years. Resale value after 5 years...$18,000 maybe?

Its all sounds over the top and extravagand, but has anyone calculated the real cost per week, considering petrol, tyre wear etc etc. I think it would come close to $150/week. Not a cheap car to run the sportivo, even though we consider it a bang for your buck.

The trick with NRMA's figures is that they include depreciation in their calculations ... I read once that their assumptions are based on the ATO's residual values for leases, in very simple terms, they estimate a car to be worth 70% after 1 year, 60% after 2, 50% after 3, 40% after 4 and 30% after 5, as a percentage of its purchase cost.

In simple figures, including depreciation, fuel, tyres, rego, insurance and servicing, I estimate the wagon to cost us $160 per week, but leave depreciation out and it drops to around $90 a week.

I don't agree with the inclusion of depreciation, because I buy a car to own long-term, all things being equal. Its really only important to people who buy a new car every few years.

Having said that, though, it is food for thought ... you see some clangers on the road, and when people are asked why they drive their mobile crap, they say, "ohh, but I can't afford to get it fixed". I've always believed that if you can't afford to own a car, then don't drive a piece of junk around belching smoke with dodgy suspension and brakes, risking other people's lives.

... you see some clangers on the road, and when people are asked why they drive their mobile crap, they say, "ohh, but I can't afford to get it fixed". I've always believed that if you can't afford to own a car, then don't drive a piece of junk around belching smoke with dodgy suspension and brakes, risking other people's lives.

Only in QLD, we have Annual Inspections in NSW. :D :)

Gets most of the Dungers off the road. Unless you get a dodgy inspector.

that's not necessarily true. I was driving down the Hume Highway (sydney) and right infront of me was an old 80's civic. all of a suddent the front left wheel just collapses and the car is sliding along the ground, sparks everywhere. i pull over to see if they are alright. Guess what?.....the lower ball-joint just broke off!!! :blink:

the driver was just cruising and not even manuevering. the state of some cars on the road these days shock me.

I've always asked what's more dangerous?

a. A well maintained car travelling at 65km/h

b. A poorly maintained car travelling at 55km/h

Current road rules and regs are total rubbish

You are SOOOOOO right !!!

BTW, whats the speedlimit on highways in Australia?

I've always asked what's more dangerous?

a. A well maintained car travelling at 65km/h

b. A poorly maintained car travelling at 55km/h

Current road rules and regs are total rubbish

You don’t have to get a roadworthy with a second-hand car in WA. Yet when I brought my 6 month old Camry across I had to send it over the pits for an inspection :o

Can't trust those eastern state cars :rolleyes: