HELP! Gearbox/Transmission/Bearing Noise?

AlmostThere

I'm hoping some Kluger gurus can help out.

A few days ago my 08' Kluger KX-R AWD suddenly started making a noise. Difficult to describe the noise, but it sounds a bit like when the brake pads are worn, with some whining thrown in. Not very loud, but definitely noticeable. Here are some things I've noticed:

1. Noise is audible from almost standstill but becomes louder as the speed increases.
  2. Noise is audible with power on, quieter with no power (coasting), and louder again on overrun.
  3. Noise is audible in neutral (while moving)
  4. Noise disappears in overdrive (around 80-90 km/h)

Car has done 78K km, and has been flawless. Al services done. As things worked out the car was due for the 80K service. I took it to my local mechanic, and asked him to look into the noise. On top of the 80K service he also changed the gearbox oil. He didn't find anything unusual (oil looked clean), but he thinks it might be the front wheel bearings making the noise.

Has anybody experienced similar issues? Last thing I want to do is start playing "let's fix things that aren't broken until we figure it out"

Thanks, I'll read up a bit about that. Any particular reason you think it might be the UJ? Is it a common issue with the AWD Klugers? The thing that really puzzles me is that the noise disappears in top (over drive) gear. My thinking is that indicates a gearbox issue?