Toyota Camry Altise 2005LE (Australian) ODBII

Votality

Hi,

Has anyone successfully used the odbii port on this car to connect to a program like torque to get vehicle stats? If so, how?

I have tried using one of the generic elm 327 bluetooth dongles, but as soon as it is inserted the abs light flashes. I had read online that this may be due to pin 14 and the dongle interffering with the can bus on that port (some people had reccomended disconnecting pin 14) no idea if that information is correct although. 

I have also tried asking toyota what coms protocol the vehicle uses for odb2 but it apppears they have no idea what their own vehicle uses. I believe it uses some variant of the can bus.

vot

Edited by Votality

Suggest you have good read through the OBDII thread in the Corolla/Sportivo  section. There is a lot of good stuff in there on this subject, especially from the " Sucess I've got it working"  section. I used the information to get mine working and I can tell you it's not easy, but it is doable. It works on both my 2001 Camry and 2005 Corolla. Toyota are very protective of their software. It may take a while for you to work it out, but it does work if you follow the steps. The best place to start is from "SUCESS I HAVE IT WORKING!!". That's where most of the info you want is.You will need the Techstream software. It's awhile since I did mine so my memory of what I did do is somewhat faded..But it does work....

I hope I have been of some help and the best of luck to you..By the way one of the things that does happen when you plug it in is, the ABS light does blink!!  The ELM327 is not the unit you need. You will need a TIS Compatible one, it's all in that thread...

Edited by Topdog

• 3 months later...

from here: http://blog.blk-it.com/odbii-and-the-aussie-camry/

After revisiting, I finally got my generic ELM 327 bluetooth OBD scan tool to work with my 2004 corolla sportivo!!

turned out the initial “handshake” needed to communicate with the ECU is quite particular, so when running the TORQUE application on galaxy S4, I set up a vehicle profile for the sportivo, then scroll all the way down to the “custom conflagration string” field an input the following:

ATIB 96 \n ATIIA 13 \n ATSH8113F1 \n ATSP A4 \n ATSW00

and here is what it does/means:

ATIB 96 \n     –    set the ISO baud rate to 9600
ATIIA 13 \n     –    set ISO (slow) init adress to 13
ATSH8113F1 \n     –    set Header to 8113F1
ATSP A4 \n     –    set protocol to Auto, 4 and save it

ATSW00        –    set wakeup interval to 00 x 20 msec

hope this helps anyone who has encountered the same problem

And thats all that was required, that one line for the Custom Configuration String: ATIB 96 \n ATIIA 13 \n ATSH8113F1 \n ATSP A4 \n ATSW00

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, astol87 said:

The above works in my '04 with the Torque app and a $15 bluetooth OBD2 reader off ebay. any problems, give me a shout

In the interest of helping others, could you please detail the exact procedure and hardware that you used in order to get it to function.

Stumbled across the same issue with my '04 Avalon and an 'el cheapo eBay ELM327 clone ( $10ish ).  Appears to have initial comms error as it operates on a slower BAUD rate on these pre-'05 / '06 cars. Interestingly ELMScan Toyota (available as a free demo on Android Play Store) seemed to not take issue at all and worked seamlessly, even does freeze-frame data for any DTC's thrown.

Edited by Reliabota

On 9/21/2016 at 3:11 PM, trentmeyer23 said:

In the interest of helping others, could you please detail the exact procedure and hardware that you used in order to get it to function.

Sure!

I have THIS OBD2 dongle, plugged into my 2AZ-FE Camry. I've used the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Motorola Moto G 2015 phones, installed the TORQUE Pro app, configured the vehicle profile for the camry in the app,and down the bottom in "Very Advanced" it looks like this: ATIB 96 \n ATIIA 13 \n ATSH8113F1 \n ATSP A4 \n ATSW00

Edited by astol87
changed link

i also have a tasker profile set up around it, so that when my phone connects to the stereo bluetooth, it starts the Torque app, sets appropriate volume levels, has a plugin to read sms's aloud and clears the lockscreen password, and do the reverse when it disconnects from the OBD

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
On 9/21/2016 at 11:28 AM, astol87 said:

The above works in my '04 with the Torque app and a $15 bluetooth OBD2 reader off ebay. any problems, give me a shout

I also have an 04 Camry.

I purchased this ELM327 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-Bluetooth-Car-Scanner-Torque-Android-CAN-BUS-Auto-Scan-Tool/172983909616?epid=23026729384&hash=item2846a4fcf0:g:fTMAAOSwPDBaDXul:sc:AU_Regular!2168!AU!-1:rk:2:pf:0

When plugged in the ABS light starts flashing

I also have configured the vehicle profile on the Torque pro app using that special line as above and also copied the settings that astol87 uploaded however is does not seem to work. 

Here are some screenshots

IMG_3586.HEIC IMG_3587.HEIC IMG_3589.HEIC

My ABS light flashes too, I believe its just a bug with the connector, ABS works fine

Screenshots - can you post to imgur or something and give us the links?

hmm. I'd look more into the "ATIB 96 \n ATIIA 13 \n ATSH8113F1 \n ATSP A4 \n ATSW00 " settings and adjust slightly. Do you have the v6 or I4?

https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Custom_Init

Edited by astol87
add link for investigation

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

Can anybody tell me is the bluedriver scantool Bluetooth enabled with a Huawei y330 uo1 is compatible with 2004 Toyota Camry altise 2.4 auto ,2az-fe, can find the device, it pairs up and initialzes ,but won't connect, I would appreciate any help with this teck information ,as im unable to make this work , I need to know if the Camry 04 model is obd2 compliant and what exact protocol Toyota Camry altise uses , thanks for any feed back at all cheers

Edited by Brett lack

On 8/28/2019 at 2:04 PM, Brett lack said:

Can anybody tell me is the bluedriver scantool Bluetooth enabled with a Huawei y330 uo1 is compatible with 2004 Toyota Camry altise 2.4 auto ,2az-fe, can find the device, it pairs up and initialzes ,but won't connect, I would appreciate any help with this teck information ,as im unable to make this work , I need to know if the Camry 04 model is obd2 compliant and what exact protocol Toyota Camry altise uses , thanks for any feed back at all cheers

Oh what a feeling ,  now I know what Toyota means , I will unjoin  your owners club ,I will get closure and therapy lol

Edited by Brett lack

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2016 at 11:27 AM, astol87 said:

from here: http://blog.blk-it.com/odbii-and-the-aussie-camry/

After revisiting, I finally got my generic ELM 327 bluetooth OBD scan tool to work with my 2004 corolla sportivo!!

turned out the initial “handshake” needed to communicate with the ECU is quite particular, so when running the TORQUE application on galaxy S4, I set up a vehicle profile for the sportivo, then scroll all the way down to the “custom conflagration string” field an input the following:

ATIB 96 \n ATIIA 13 \n ATSH8113F1 \n ATSP A4 \n ATSW00

and here is what it does/means:

ATIB 96 \n     –    set the ISO baud rate to 9600
ATIIA 13 \n     –    set ISO (slow) init adress to 13
ATSH8113F1 \n     –    set Header to 8113F1
ATSP A4 \n     –    set protocol to Auto, 4 and save it

ATSW00        –    set wakeup interval to 00 x 20 msec

hope this helps anyone who has encountered the same problem

And thats all that was required, that one line for the Custom Configuration String: ATIB 96 \n ATIIA 13 \n ATSH8113F1 \n ATSP A4 \n ATSW00

You are awesome... thank you, I have always used Torque on all of my cars, but I now have a 2005 Camry and I have been very frustrated that Torque won't work on it... and the other apps that I have tried that do work on the Camry, are far less user friendly...!
Thank you soooo much for this post 🙂

• 4 months later...

Hi astol87

I have tried your Custom Configuration String on my 2003 Camry ACV36R using Torque Pro and 3 different ELM327 adapters but without success.
All I get is a blinking ABS light. Any recent update to your Configuration String?

The adapters were: Tonwon T2 Bluetooth LE 4.0 (which works fine on my 2005 Jaguar), a generic ELM237 BT adapter, and a WiFi ODBII Diagnostic Interface.

Has any other member on this forum been able to get this working?
I would be keen to learn about your experience.

• 3 weeks later...