17" Rims + Tyre for my 2003 Corolla

neK

Hey im considering purchasing some 17" rims and tyres for my 2003 Corolla Sedan (as my original stock ones arent as grippy as they should be), now ive been told those cheap tyre + rim packages you get from places like www.tempetyres.com.au are absolute crap as they are heavier and are of very poor manufacturing.

Im only looking to spend <$1500 on total, would i get better performance by getting cheap 17" tempetyre rims with 205/45/R16 or should i just stick with the stock rims that came on the conquest (195/60/R15) and get new tyres for them?

I will only be using these for daily normal driving, no crazy revving or nothing, and i am thinking of getting 17" purely because of a "i just want to" mentailty (ive been putting myself off getting 17" rims for the last years already =P).

Thanks!

Saw Xoom's ones, i reckon they look ok, but not really my style.

Looking for something more simplistic in design and probably silver.

Btw are Enkei and Advanti rims any good?

Cos ive been told by other ppl that the rims TempeTyres stock are ****, last thing i want is to buy a 17" that looks nice and handles worse than my stock corolla 15"

if you're getting cheap rims (as i plan on doing as im poor :P), then you're going to hear crap stories regardless of where you shop at... i've heard good and bad reports from tempe, ozzy, big-o, and all those places...

i say just go to the shop. if you like what you see, then go for it and hope things turn out well... most of them have good after sales support as far as i know, so if you're not happy you can usually talk to them...

if you're buying rims for daily driving, then the cheap rims are fine... you only need the lightweight performance rims if you're planning on racing....

Just went to the tyre shop to get some prices for a Enkei RP03 + Toyo tyre package.... approx $1500~$1600.

http://www.enkei.co.jp/en/p_detail_rp03.html

Click to view full-sized image!

However there are few things that worry me.

1. I asked the guy about the Enkei RP03, he shows me a some similar looking one, when told him i wanted Enkei, he replies "they are all the same". :Paranoid: But i made him find out how much the Enkeis were.

2. I ask him what tyres are going on it, he says Toyos FZ4's.

I had a look at the Toyo Australian website, and the only FZ4's are 16,18,19"

The 17" dont exist on the Australia Toyo website.

He showed me a 205/40/R17 (Product code 189710), even though i said i wanted 205/45/R17

Looked on the american site, and the ones he was pointing out were on there

(205/40/R17).

Would it be safe the say that these are more than likely to be parallel imports because if they were made in Australia they would appear on Toyo's australian website?

Wouldnt getting tyres made for the US and using it here in Australia be rather dangerous considering its not been design for australian roads? (Ignoring warranty issues and stuff).

I then went to Australia's best and inquired about the same thing, the guy says to me about $3100 with Toyos T1R's (he didnt call or check, but said I would be looking at $500 for each rim for Enkei's).

Why is there such a big difference between the two? Is it possible that the first store i went to can get it cheaper? Or is more than likely they got fake Enkei's?

Edited by neK

Are these good prices on Toyos?

Tranpath SW

215/45/R17 91W - $179

205/45/R17 88W - $195

Trampio TPG

215/45/R17 91W - $194

195/60/R15 88H - $141

Transas TEO

195/60/R15 88H - $135

If i do decide to stick with 15" probably better off paying $6 and getting TPG's yea?

Just went to the tyre shop to get some prices for a Enkei RP03 + Toyo tyre package.... approx $1500~$1600.

Click to view full-sized image!

However there are few things that worry me.

1. I asked the guy about the Enkei RP03, he shows me a some similar looking one, when told him i wanted Enkei, he replies "they are all the same". :Paranoid: But i made him find out how much the Enkeis were.

2. I ask him what tyres are going on it, he says Toyos FZ4's.

I had a look at the Toyo Australian website, and the only FZ4's are 16,18,19"

The 17" dont exist on the Australia Toyo website.

He showed me a 205/40/R17 (Product code 189710), even though i said i wanted 205/45/R17

Looked on the american site, and the ones he was pointing out were on there

(205/40/R17).

Would it be safe the say that these are more than likely to be parallel imports because if they were made in Australia they would appear on Toyo's australian website?

Wouldnt getting tyres made for the US and using it here in Australia be rather dangerous considering its not been design for australian roads? (Ignoring warranty issues and stuff).

I then went to Australia's best and inquired about the same thing, the guy says to me about $3100 with Toyos T1R's (he didnt call or check, but said I would be looking at $500 for each rim for Enkei's).

Why is there such a big difference between the two? Is it possible that the first store i went to can get it cheaper? Or is more than likely they got fake Enkei's?

Hello Nek. First off I don't want to encourage you get the RP03 beacuse I already have them on my Sportivo & it is nice being the only one :D

The first price you were quoted is way to cheap. Either they are giving you the tyres for free or the wheels are not genuine. The comments made by this dealer, "All wheels are the same" is not true. Enkei rims are manufactured in Japan using the best materials & manufacturing processes making them very strong unlike Chinese rip offs. Enkei are the supplier of wheels to the Mclaren Formula 1 racing team which speaks volumes for there ability to make high quality wheels.

I suggest staying away from the first dealer you mentioned.

I would expect to pay around $400 dollars per rim for the RP03 in 17". You will need to be careful though with your tyre selection. I can't tell you much about Toyo tyres as I have never had any experince with them myself

A good tyre shop will refuse to fit anything that is illegal, once you've found a shop like this then stick with them.

Anyway, nice selection.

haha, thats a bit selfish =P

Doesnt look like ill be getting them RP03's anytime soon, i called up YHI Australia and was told they are about $375 per wheel (way above my intended budget), so it looks like you'll still be the only Corolla with them on =D.

So ive decided to look elsewhere.

Ive looked a few manufacturers and would like to hear some comments about them ie they their rims are chinese made tin can material (and if possible rank them in order).

Advanti

Speedywheels

ALT Wheels

HR Racing

RJR (From Bob Jane T-Mart)

Currently im thinking of the Speedywheels Holotype-R (these are made in Australia so they are safe right?)

Ive been told by TyrePower its $1358 for the package

Package includes 4xToyo Trampio TPG 215/45/R17 @ $182 x 4 + 4x Holotype-R @ 157.50

Locknuts extra $20.

Ive noticed that ALT, HR Racing both have rims that look very similar to the Enkei RP03, Advanti have one too, but not in Australia yet (they have it in New Zealand and Singapore).

My stock tyres are 195/60/R15, will running 215/45/R17 have any defect issues (other than my speedo running a little bit out?).

Only reason why im looking for the 215/45/R17 opposed to 205/45/R17 is because the 205's cost more =P

Edited by neK

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Try using the link above to calculate the tyre size you will need. I found that a 215/45/17 will suit your requirement. The difference in overall tyre diametre is very minimal threfore it won't affect your speedo enough to be a problem & difinately will still be legal.

205/40/17 would be ideal but if cost is an issue than save your money.

Also, you will need to stick with a 7" width for the rim you choose. I'm sure the rim on the sedan is 6" wide, correct me if I'm wrong & in NSW anyway you can't go for more than 1" increase in width without an Engineer's certificate. It may be different in other States. Alot of 7" width rims with a P.C.D. of 4/100 have an offset of 43, this should be suitable for your car.

Take what you want from this information but make sure you double check with a professional.

Wheel Opinions:-

Advanti - Disributed by YHI, same as Enkei but I'm not sure where they are made. I owned a set of 17" Stalkers in Shadow for 3 years. They were a well made wheel with a great finish, although not the lightest wheel available. I got lots of comments on them for their sleek style. My brother has a set on his Sportivo at the moment, I will take a picture & post on the weekend.

Speedywheels - Australian made, excellent quality & good price as there are no import cost added to the bottom line. The Holotype R is a classic wheel that many other manufacture's have copied. Because of there simple design they will be very easy to clean & therefore always look great.

ALT - Not sure where they are made - There are some great designs to choose

HR Racing - Not sure where they are made but according to their website they are manufactured to Japanese standards. There are some great designs. Stick with an unpainted finish & I'm sure they will be fine

RJR - Not sure whether these wheels are manufactured in Australia or not. Could not find many designs to choose from.

I hope there is some useful information in there for you somewhere

Oh yeah, maybe you can help me. What does =P & =D mean????

Are these good prices on Toyos?

Tranpath SW

215/45/R17 91W - $179

205/45/R17 88W - $195

Trampio TPG

215/45/R17 91W - $194

195/60/R15 88H - $141

Transas TEO

195/60/R15 88H - $135

If i do decide to stick with 15" probably better off paying $6 and getting TPG's yea?

Where did you get these prices from? Seems like pretty good prices.

them RP03's are HOT!!!!

How much did you pay for the out of curiousity.

Anyways, i dont know if im gonna proceed with the Holotype-R's anymore.

The offset is 38 according to Speedywheels (I called and confirmed), and i dont like the idea putting on 205/40's as it means im gonna clock up more Km's that i should (215/45/R17 scrape the guard so they are a no go and 205/45/R17 just shoot the cost above my desired budget).

Unless someone can give me some more suggestions.

Well I haven't got much to add about 17's but I do have a 2003 sedan <_<

I bought a 'cheap' Tempe Tyres 16*7 wheel & tyre package almost 2 years ago and although they are heavier than the stock alloys the extra inch in width made a noticeable difference in handling. Even with crap tyres they still felt alot more predictable than the stockies...

Anyway that's just my $0.02 & good luck with your search B)

Edited by Conquest

Just thought ill share this with all the other ppl who are searching for wheels.

I came across these when i was looking for something that looked like Enkei RP03's

(Yea im being cheap, but theres no way ill fork out $375 per rim for EnKei RP03's, especially when these are for day to day use :P )

http://www.altwheels.com.au/wheel.jsp?whee...=AT-267&size=17

The rims are $170 each (so $680 for the four), and have a offset of 38-40 and are made in Taiwan.

HR Racing also make rims that look these, but they are $245 a rim.

http://www.agrtyres.com.au/products_closeu...CING&part_no=16

(I was quoted $1390 for Sime Tires 205/40/R17 + HR125 Rims).

They are both nice rims, just get different tyres. I had a look on sime's website, check the link below. I couldn't find a 205/40/17 that meets load requirement. I can't stress how important this is unless you want to take the risk of cracking your rims among other things. The Toyo's you mentioned earlier would be a better option.

I like the HR one's the best.

http://www.simetyres.com.my/pdetail.asp?LI...YR.TYR.PCP&fm=d

The issue about the 215/45/R17 is the scraping (when the other guy who had the holotype-r's said there definately would be scraping it seriously had me worried).

I know you said you had scraping when you drove thru the national park, just wondering what offset your rims are?

Cos I know the Enkei RP03 come in either 35 or 45 offset (which one is yours btw?), and the ALT267 come with a 38-40 offset (im assuming the 40 is acheived with spacers).

Given the default 15" alloy is 15x6 and 45 offset, im thinking a 38-40 offset would scrap, or do i have the offset mixed up? Is higher offset better for corollas or lower offset better?

Check out the pinned topic re. offset http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=3683

Basically if the offset is too high then you risk scraping the inner suspension while if it is too low then your wheels will stick out of the guards. I think the 'deep dish' rims usually have a near zero or negative offset but please correct me if i'm wrong.

Anyway if you want to fit wider rims/tyres then you want to reduce the offset down from 45 to around 40 or so, however you don't want to go too low otherwise the wheels will stick out of the guards and possibly scrape. The best option is to visit a few rim & tyre shops & see what they suggest.

In my case I went from 15*6 +45 to 16*7 +40 offset with a corresponding change from 195/60/15 to 205/50/16 tyres...

i got my wheels brand new off ebay.

theres a seller from sydney that includes postage to your door on price.

he also sells tyre wheel packages.

anyway i priced my wheels here in melb and anything close to the design was over $1000 just for the rims.

i got the wheels from sydney for under $800 to my door.

well worth a look mate.

by the way my new wheels feel better and are just as light as the wheels i got from bob jane and paid a fortune for at the time.

The issue about the 215/45/R17 is the scraping (when the other guy who had the holotype-r's said there definately would be scraping it seriously had me worried).

I know you said you had scraping when you drove thru the national park, just wondering what offset your rims are?

Cos I know the Enkei RP03 come in either 35 or 45 offset (which one is yours btw?), and the ALT267 come with a 38-40 offset (im assuming the 40 is acheived with spacers).

Given the default 15" alloy is 15x6 and 45 offset, im thinking a 38-40 offset would scrap, or do i have the offset mixed up? Is higher offset better for corollas or lower offset better?

The offset on the 17" RP03 to suit the Corolla which has a PCD of 4 x100 is 45. I know a little about offset, but not enough to explain it very well. What I do know is that if you stay with the same offset you can't go wrong. I have said previously I only get minor scraping on bad roads (read very bad roads) at high speed but one other important thing I think I should mention is that I can turn the wheels full lock without a problem.

Also, spacers are illegal.

wat about 18" rims? theres just a set for a reli good price atm.

and i have an ascent lowered with king springs about 35mm..

u reckon ill have a problem with scrubbing or any problems in general????

cheers

any help will be much appreciated..

C-rolla