Accelerator stuck on full throttle!!!!!

Slurdog

Goodmorning Girls and Boys,

I had an interesting thing happen...

On Saturday morning I didnt have much to do, so I went for a long drive by myself in the mountains behind Coffs Harbour (end-less twsity back roads with near-no traffic). I found this loop road that is about 25 kms long, and is absoultely stunning in the difficulty of the road and the beauty of the surroundings. It was like no road i had drivin before, almost like it was designed for a tarmac rally or something. :D

Anyway, my driving nirvana came to an abrupt stop when; while in third at around 80kmh in a section of narrow and twisty sweeping bends, my accelerator got stuck and the car lurched forwards without my wishes!!! instinctively I braked, and the car just pushed through the braking making the brake pedal feel like a rock!!!, so next I chucked it into neutral and it was bouncing off the limiter!!! so then i turned the car off and stopped. :o

I got out and checked the pedals and noticed the accelerator was pinned to the floor, it wasnt stuck behind the floor mat or anything, but just jammed on the floor, i pushed it back up and its back to normal, WEIRD.

It could of been a disaster...big time!!!

Im definately taking it back to the dealer for a look!!!

Has anyone else experienced this???

I HIGHLY recommend that people check this out on their cars (mine is a july 05 build), as mine didnt show any sign of degradation, it didnt feel crunchy or sticky at all.

Slurdog

geez. glad ur ok. sounds like a hairy moment. the throttle cable probably got stuck inside hte sleeve. take it back. that is an unsafe defect. if it is the throttle cable. get them to replace it. u'll find they might just spray some WD40 on it.

pretty poor considering it's a relatively new car.

Goodmorning Girls and Boys,

I had an interesting thing happen...

On Saturday morning I didnt have much to do, so I went for a long drive by myself in the mountains behind Coffs Harbour (end-less twsity back roads with near-no traffic). I found this loop road that is about 25 kms long, and is absoultely stunning in the difficulty of the road and the beauty of the surroundings. It was like no road i had drivin before, almost like it was designed for a tarmac rally or something. :D

Anyway, my driving nirvana came to an abrupt stop when; while in third at around 80kmh in a section of narrow and twisty sweeping bends, my accelerator got stuck and the car lurched forwards without my wishes!!! instinctively I braked, and the car just pushed through the braking making the brake pedal feel like a rock!!!, so next I chucked it into neutral and it was bouncing off the limiter!!! so then i turned the car off and stopped. :o

I got out and checked the pedals and noticed the accelerator was pinned to the floor, it wasnt stuck behind the floor mat or anything, but just jammed on the floor, i pushed it back up and its back to normal, WEIRD.

It could of been a disaster...big time!!!

Im definately taking it back to the dealer for a look!!!

Has anyone else experienced this???

I HIGHLY recommend that people check this out on their cars (mine is a july 05 build), as mine didnt show any sign of degradation, it didnt feel crunchy or sticky at all.

Slurdog

What model Corolla do you have ?

thanks

Qkslver: I will keep that in mind when taking it in, Thanks

Perth camry, Saiya, RedLiner: Cheers for the concern

My car is:

July '05, Sportivo, Silver

faarrrr out!!! thats nasty! funny enough... i have the same build and same colour as you...

i'll be checking it at my next service....

Slurdog

You should be also aware of another problem that happened to me. The brake (drum?) of a rear wheel may lock occassionaly during driving.

Twice within 2 months, I had realized a vibration of the car while moving with 5th gear and low gas. One week ago this happened 2-3 times in a 70+70km trip and when I came back the rear left wheel was quite hot with burning smell.

I could not reproduce it in a trip yesterday. I try to figure out what happened.

Perhaps previous wet wheather or washing of the car may have some effect. But it would last for 140km?

Ive hod both of these problems on different cars ..

I had my accelerator stuck on my 88 corolla .. and yes .. i know how scary it can be when that first happened... I was going round a round about .... that was freakin scary ..

and Ive had the same burning red hot left rear wheel on my jeep .. it was a drum brake that had "Fused" and cost $1500 to fix ..

hence the reason to sell the jeep ..

i still prefer the pre facelift to the new model, esp when the sports grille is attached, facelift is boring cos u cant do any cheap mods like that yet to make the front stand out more.

also, i had this problem in my 90 model laser, except it happened to me in peak hour traffic at 8:30 in the morning! but it was my pedal, so i managed to pry it back with my foot reasonably soon but damn its scary. but it was ok, about a week later the car was written off so it didnt matter anymore lol

I have heard it happen to an Echo.. this is a very serious issue guys, who knows how many elderly people have died n head on collisions because of this safety defect and Toyota have got away with it because here wasn't an inquest?? I reccomend you people with this problem write to Toyota Motor Corporation direct to lodge a serious complain, that might prompt an investigation. Bringing back to your dealer is good but also write to Toyota.

I totally agree with you Z.

When I brought it up with my Dad he was horrified! He is an ex Toyota Dealer, and he straight away put that into motion. We have written a letter of concern to their quality control people.

Even more concerning is that the same thing just happened to my cousin, who drives the same car (but a may 05 build). Im not sure if it has something to do with the weather in Coffs, or how close we are to the beach, whatever it shouldnt happen hey.

I get the car back this evening.

When I brought it up with my Dad he was horrified! He is an ex Toyota Dealer, and he straight away put that into motion. We have written a letter of concern to their quality control people.

Even more concerning is that the same thing just happened to my cousin, who drives the same car (but a may 05 build). Im not sure if it has something to do with the weather in Coffs, or how close we are to the beach, whatever it shouldnt happen hey.

Could you please advise the best person/address to send the letter to. I intend on writting a letter to Toyota on a number of issues.

thanks & regards

Could you please advise the best person/address to send the letter to. I intend on writting a letter to Toyota on a number of issues.

thanks & regards

Look under "Sportivo Issues" its pinned on the main page of this forum. Here is a quick link :

Sportivo Issues

thanks & regards

Look under "Sportivo Issues" its pinned on the main page of this forum. Here is a quick link :

Sportivo Issues

I assume it is still jenny then?

thanks & regards

Sportivo Issues

I assume it is still jenny then?

poor woman

Hey fellas

Got my car back yesterday evening, The problem was the cruise control. They said that the cable for the cruise was 'sagging' over the accelerator cable, and when i put my foot down the cable must of snagged on the accelerator cable holding it at full throttel. They tightened the cruise up and assured me it would not happen again ;) Im a bit suss on that <_<

If it happens again...............

and in good service fashion, they took my car for a test drive, an scraped the Sh#t out of my front spoiler (chunks!!). took it back straight after i noticed, and he said "well its very low". I went off. now they are repairing and re-painting the front end (hehehe i had heaps of scuffs prior :D freebie)

End of the Day: If anyone has the cruise fitted, get them to have a look at the cables, coz its only gotta get stuck once in a bad spot to give you some serious problems.