Rev limiter kicking in at 6.8

Hi, i own a 05 stivo, its done about 2000km now and only recently have i noticed that when i start the car up in the morning and drive out of the street and rev it up in 1st, the hi cam wont kick in and instead the rev limiter will kick in at around 6.8-7.

After a few minutes, ill pull over into a street and try again, and lift will kick in just fine and it'll be fine for the rest of the day.

This is strange since i have only noticed the problem now.

I tried to do a search on "lift" and "rev limiter" but yeah i haven't been able to find a post concerning my problem

Help please! what should i do?

Cheers

Arrr, LET IT WARM UP!@#$

... it's ok, I do it all the time. Think of it as a good thing rather then a problem. The ECU is being smart and not letting you ruin your nice new engine by thrashing it while its cold.

Corzza: Awh, he said tried!

Edited by iniff

The car's computer is programmed not to allow lift until optimal operating temp has been reached. If you continues to drive your car in this fashion without allowing for a proper warm up your car won't last long at all. You need to remember that most engines don't rev past 7k. The reason for this is the massive amount of stress that is put on the internals at these rev's

8000 rpm is approx 133 turns a second.

yeah :P i've read my owner's manual the day i got the car, and yeah i've read that bit about how to drive it for the first 2000 and i've been sticking to it MOST of the time.

But in the manual i never read about the rev limiter kicking in early, but now i know so yeah, silly me!

It's telling you to let the car warm up before hitting high revs. :rolleyes:

:D how needs lift anyway, right Carlo? <_< u 'stivo boys ... *tsk* *tsk* (just like what mum does) <_<

you should always warm it up first, no? It's sorta like foreplay - u remember foreplay, right? ;P

Edited by RME1

Hi, i own a 05 stivo, its done about 2000km now and only recently have i noticed that when i start the car up in the morning and drive out of the street and rev it up in 1st, the hi cam wont kick in and instead the rev limiter will kick in at around 6.8-7.

Mental note, do not buy a 2nd hand sportivo off holim :P

you should always warm it up first, no? It's sorta like foreplay - u remember foreplay, right? ;P

An aussie guys version of foreplay

"You ready love?"

p.s. Im aussie so i can pay myself out :P

• 3 weeks later...

After a few minutes, ill pull over into a street and try again, and lift will kick in just fine and it'll be fine for the rest of the day.

I tried to do a search on "lift" and "rev limiter" but yeah i haven't been able to find a post concerning my problem

Cheers

Never, and I mean never, ever give a motor a hard time when it's cold. No matter which car you're in. A good sign as to when you can thrash it is when the temp. gauge in our cars are at just over a quarter usually, maybe a bit higher. This means the thermostat is open and the motor is all nice and toasty warm, ready for action. If you run the crap out of ANY motor when it's cold you will get problems later on, such as a blown oil pump etc. Just NEVER EVER do that again Holim, it makes us cringe lol. Take it easy.

Cheers

Never, and I mean never, ever give a motor a hard time when it's cold. No matter which car you're in. A good sign as to when you can thrash it is when the temp. gauge in our cars are at just over a quarter usually, maybe a bit higher. This means the thermostat is open and the motor is all nice and toasty warm, ready for action. If you run the crap out of ANY motor when it's cold you will get problems later on, such as a blown oil pump etc. Just NEVER EVER do that again Holim, it makes us cringe lol. Take it easy.

And as for problems that can happen immediately.....

Cold engine = lack of oil around the engine, espcially in the top end.

If a piston grabs or it pulls a valve due to lack of lubrication, your up for some serious $$$!

If you simply "have" to thrash your car when you first get in, try and get into the habit of starting the car a few minutes before you leave!

Cheers

And as for problems that can happen immediately.....

Cold engine = lack of oil around the engine, espcially in the top end.

If a piston grabs or it pulls a valve due to lack of lubrication, your up for some serious $$$!

If you simply "have" to thrash your car when you first get in, try and get into the habit of starting the car a few minutes before you leave!

now u see the importance of foreplay? ...she's got to be well lubricated till u let it rip!!! :lol: (yes, yes , i'll stop with the puns now... B) )

Just read the manual on this issue guys, it says that the 2Z will not exceed 7100rpm without warming up, doesnt talk about the lift issue, but JEBUS, 7100rpm when its cold? I guess thats why they put it in the manual eh . . . . . . . :ph34r: