Aurion AT-X 2010 going back to factory wheel help.

nickio

Hi guys,

I've been rolling on the TRD 19x8 245/35/19 for a few years now on my Aurion 2010 AT-X.

I feel it pulls and tram line a lot and wanted to change back to something a bit thinner and smaller.

I've seen two options:

1. 17x7 on 215/55/17, stock sportivo size

2. 18x8 on 235/40/18, stock newer camry wheels.

Any recommendation on which one I should go for?

Any feedback on tramlining and wheel pulling issue?

Anyone got any stock 17inch that they want to sell?

If you want a first class ride, go back to 16 inch wheels. Say 215/60/16 tyres.
Larger diameter wheels on low profile tyres suck- they ride like bullock drays, and more expensive to replace.

After a fair bit of reading, I have come to the conclusion that the best upgrade [from a safety perspective] is quality known brand tyres. Look at a number of tyre reviews and select a tyre for your driving style and needs. Then determine what tyre sizes are available. Perhaps your preferred tyre is available in 18"rim but not 17".

The following URLs are just some food for thought.

https://www.tyresales.com.au/tyres/michelin/pilot_sport_4

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

@nickio  Your current profile is extremely low, better suited to a Ferrari with supporting suspension setup. I would swap the 19's with the 17's you mention above, you will keep rolling dia very close to stock, same width tyre & gain 32.5mm in comfort profile which you will notice & feel.

11 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Above spec rolling dia way out of calibration, would consider 235/45 tyre instead.

Yes, you are correct. 225/45 and 235/45 both are very close to stock. 

2 minutes ago, jtfoto said:

Sorry, my bad. I am using 235/45-18's.

Speedo is only out by 3km/h compared to GPS.

Thanks for the feedback jtfoto. I think 3km/h is quite normal on most car’s speedo.

• Like 1

Have a look at what are the most common wheel sizes for the available Toyota rims you're looking to get. 215s already have heaps of grip, ever 205s are plenty. Larger side wall will give you a smoother ride, smaller side wall will feel slightly more rigid but more responsive. I'd chose the most common size as it would be cheaper and less hassle to find good rubber for them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DJScope said:

Have a look at what are the most common wheel sizes for the available Toyota rims you're looking to get. 215s already have heaps of grip, ever 205s are plenty. Larger side wall will give you a smoother ride, smaller side wall will feel slightly more rigid but more responsive. I'd chose the most common size as it would be cheaper and less hassle to find good rubber for them.

Yeah, looks like 215/55/17 is a much better option. It's time to look for some wheels now. I can get some 17x7 for about $600 and 17x6.5 for about $400. I really don't want to spend too much on an almost 10 years old car.

As the 18s that suit Aurion is not a common size and is quite expensive.

@nickio  hey just trying to help bud, but at end of the day you can put on the car whatever wheel & tyre combination you like. Heck some guys in the 86 community go nuts & put a 215 tyre on a 9.5" rim, it's just madness until they get pinged by the popo or it pops off altogether. Personally I see the Camry/Aurion as a comfort/cruiser & would keep the setup close to stock, as DJ has mentioned can work out to be cheaper also.

1 hour ago, ZZT86 said:

@nickio  hey just trying to help bud, but at end of the day you can put on the car whatever wheel & tyre combination you like. Heck some guys in the 86 community go nuts & put a 215 tyre on a 9.5" rim, it's just madness until they get pinged by the popo or it pops off altogether. Personally I see the Camry/Aurion as a comfort/cruiser & would keep the setup close to stock, as DJ has mentioned can work out to be cheaper also.

Yeah got it mate, and thanks for that.

There was times years ago when I thought 19 was cool, but not anymore these days. I do want to go back to as much stock as I can, and those I mentioned are some of the choices I managed to find for sale. 

Those are stock wheels that are pretty new at quite okay price and around the area that I can go pick up as well. 

That’s what lead me to start this threat. 

I have the factory 19s on my TRD, and they tramline a lot. Guessing this is normal then? Especially on uneven roads, it tries to follow the flow of the ruts and dips. 

On 21/08/2018 at 3:45 AM, nzzr6 said:

I have the factory 19s on my TRD, and they tramline a lot. Guessing this is normal then? Especially on uneven roads, it tries to follow the flow of the ruts and dips. 

I guess it might be the weight as well. The factory 19 is heavier than the 17.