idled overnight - what have I done -- please help

toav

hi allI have a second hand Toyota avensis 2007  , excellent condition and  used it very sparingly as its my second car , always maintained it very well , all genuine parts  and I absolutely love it and want to maintain it that way , as I don't drive it regularly I turn it on for about 15 mins and turn it off so that battery doesn't run flat but the other day I have turned it on and completely forgot about it and left it overnight idling , not sure what damage that might have caused the engine , I took it for a test drive - didn't notice any difference ( atleast not to my knowledge ) - should I be worried about engine wear ,,, please advise and also looking for a good  honest mechanic around caroline springs area Melbourne who does not charge arm and leg  - any recommendations please please thanks heaps

p.s ; Any tell tale signs that any damage that idling has done , any suggestions , thanks heaps

I have inadvertently done the same thing. I would not be concerned about engine wear etc from idling.

You have given the cooling system a good workout. particularly the thermostatic fan.

You would only have a concern if the cooling system had failed and the engine had overheated.

Same as Ash said, I doubt any engine wear if it has been maintained as you said..keep an eye when driving on the temp level as the coolant and fan would have been worked over sitting idling..let us know if anything else shows up

KAA

hi Kaa  and campbeam 

thanks for your replies , thats puts my mind at  some ease but as I have left it overnight am worried as I read some horrible damage on the internet but as you said will take it out for drive and will report back and also would you be able to please recommend me a good mechanic around caroline springs area melbourne , thanks guys

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, toav said:

I read some horrible damage on the internet

Of course you are going to read horror stories on the internet. When you trace back to the underlying cause, it usually comes down to lack of regular maintenance or a part failing.

Time to stop worrying, go for that test drive and put your mind at ease. Your past maintenance has paid off.

I am very much into preventative maintenance and taking a step in time to save 9. It pays to regularly check under the hood at all of the fluid levels. Recent experience and learning is to investigate further any warning lights that briefly appear then disappear. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

Of course you are going to read horror stories on the internet. When you trace back to the underlying cause, it usually comes down to lack of regular maintenance or a part failing.

Time to stop worrying, go for that test drive and put your mind at ease. Your past maintenance has paid off.

I am very much into preventative maintenance and taking a step in time to save 9. It pays to regularly check under the hood at all of the fluid levels. Recent experience and learning is to investigate further any warning lights that briefly appear then disappear. 

thanks campbeam for your good advice

On 5/15/2020 at 1:31 PM, toav said:

any one else on good mechanic recommendations around caroline springs area - for regular maintainence

car will be fine…  

KTN Motorworks. Braybrook 

https://www.google.com/search?q=ktn+motorworks&oq=ktn+motorworks&aqs=chrome..69i57.3638j0j7&client=ms-unknown&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:,rc_ludocids:4545059492883193325,rc_q:KTN%20Motorworks,ru_q:KTN%20Motorworks

• Like 1

Take it out for a drive and clear the carbon out then get yourself a battery tender to keep the battery healthy. I use C-Tek for all my cars. You won't have to always start your car to charge the battery. The C-tek does it for you.