Engine Rattling Noise

I own a 2005 sportivo an lately ive been noticing a rattling like noise, like a chain rattling its hard to describe. It only occurs high in the rev range from bout 7000 till redline.

My car only has around 6000 kms on it but the noise is coming from the engine. If theres anyone else experiencing a similar problem out there id love to know but looks like i may have to visit toyota again...

No the air-con is switched off, i dont think its a fuel issue or a bad batch either as im running BP ultimate. I wouldnt describe it as a pinging noise it is more of a rattle....

No the air-con is switched off, i dont think its a fuel issue or a bad batch either as im running BP ultimate. I wouldnt describe it as a pinging noise it is more of a rattle....

Hi there, I had a similar problem but at lower RPMs, Sent it back to the dealers a few times before they found out it was the air con piping that was rattaling at a certain RPM. All they did was put some isulating foam around it and the problem was fixed.

Hope this helps.

I purchased the car in march 05 so it was one of the first batch of the facelifted model. If its shifter cables thats not as big a deal as i thought, i was worried that maybe it was coming from the top end...

Maybe im better just getting it checked out.

Better to be safe than sorry.

wheres the noise coming from? I used to get a violent rattling noise in lift until i got my last service, now its magically gone. I don't know what it was or how they fixed it but its gone now so I'm happy.

It sounded like it was coming from the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel.

I do occasionally still get a whistling noise from the engine bay though, i cant work out what it is or whats causing it. only happens in the 4-8k rpm range and its very hard to replicate.. it just happens.

The noise i have isnt coming from the dash its definately the engine... maybe it is a pinging noise just hard to tell at higher revs.

I might try to reset the ECU see if that solves anything.

Thanks for all the quick replies guys :D

Have you got the Air Con turned on??? If so turn it off or you'll destroy your A/C compressor rather quickly :unsure: doing that sort of RPM.

Got to ask why is it that you should have you air con on off when driving at high RPM. The only reason is that my air con is permenently on - the exception being that when I do decide to hit lift I switch it off.

Have you got the Air Con turned on??? If so turn it off or you'll destroy your A/C compressor rather quickly :unsure: doing that sort of RPM.

Got to ask why is it that you should have you air con on off when driving at high RPM. The only reason is that my air con is permenently on - the exception being that when I do decide to hit lift I switch it off.

Air con compressors aren't really designed to be spun at high rpm. The bearings start to get noisy till they collapse alltogether. Any car that has had a flogging with the air on will have a real noisy compressor when the air is switched on. Anything over 4500rpm and I switch it off to stop the unnecessary wear on the air con compressor.

Another reason is they aren't cheap to replace. ;) I've heard some Sportivo's up here in Brisssy that already have compressors making a lot more noise than others.

my aircon remaining stationary for longer then 3 minutes will start rattling, any ideas?

i give it a blip and it goes away ^^;

it goes through to the pedals and u can feel it up your leg ^^; i dont think its compressor malfunctioning.

maybe i need a air con recondition ^^;

whats aircon? i dont even use mine its called windows!!! :D

that's all well and good in Melbourne but up here we have something called 'heat' outside, you may not be aware of that :P :D ;) ;)

Air Con ? Oh yeah that's the window de-mister isn't it ? :P :lol: :D