sportivo manufacturing error

hey everyone im new to the forum and currently on the search for my next car .... a stivo!

whilst i have been looking for a while and done a lot of research i have come across the issue of the manufacturing error which occured on the production line for the stivo. it is stated that some came out with a lack of kilowatts (120 insteatd of 141). Now of course, before i do buy the car id like to know if there is a way of telling which vehicles may have this defect! after all a drop of 20kw is quite a considerable amount!

if anyone could shed some light on this issue (eg. the manufacturing dates??) it would be greatly appeciated and also speed up the process of the purchasing my stivo! for

btw i am currently looking at 2003 sportivo (October rego) with 39,000 k's that i would be purchasing off a friend...what would also be a resonable price ?

thanks heaps for your time guys!

happened to all 03/04 models, go open the drivers door, and underneath the hinge there should be a silver sticker with the date the recall was completed and the new ecu code.

good choice of car though, hope its blue!

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

3 Members: Northy, RedLiner, xoom

bill saw you first, black is faster then blue :P

this issue has been covered pretty good have a poke around the forums as there is alot of info on it.

thanx for the quick reply pple appreciate it heaps!

yer ill keep poking around the forum for some more info....

does that mean all the cars were called back and if they dun have the 1's that dun have a silver sticker still sit on 120kw??

and inCiDent were u serious bout only the black ones were 141 kw?? thats odd!

my mates 1 is black n he want 23 500 for it........i perosnally think thats a bit hi....what everyone else reckon??

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

3 Members: Northy, RedLiner, xoom

bill saw you first, black is faster then blue :P

this issue has been covered pretty good have a poke around the forums as there is alot of info on it.

Mate your dreaming :P :P :P :P :P how many stivo's have done sub 15's ????? And how many of them are Blue :P :P :P :P :P :P I dont think a single black one has broken the magic 15 buddy :P :P :P :P

so how many are still 120kw??

There should be NON left as the cars that havent had the ECU replaced are actually breaking ADR rules and as such should/will not be insurable as that means they are not road worthy .... This is why Toyota was legally obliged to send a letter to everyone to make it happen.... The other way you can check is ring toyota and give them the chassy # and they should be able to tell you if it had the recall or not as they would need to keep records of it i guess to prove they got them all ....

don't think they were ever that low in power to be honest guys. Didn't we do before an after dyno runs and i believe it showed a best of around 5 kw atw gains post recall? Pre-recall the cars were running between 95-105kw stock and post recall we are seeing 110-115kw. So the flywheel figures pre-recall would be nearer to 130-135kw. 21kw difference is way too much, those Stivo owners that had the recall done would be able t tell you there is NO WAY the car feels like having 21kw more power. :)

Btw its a pity that people are throwing thousands of $$ away for selling their Stivo dirt cheap.. Motoman's 04' model with 22,000kms could easily fetch another 2-3grand if he wasn't in such a rush. Another thing is there are too many "rich kids" driving the Stivo so they just thrash them and sell them dirt cheap, dropping the value of the Stivo. My advice is if you can afford to keep the Stivo keep it, selling it is throwing $$ away. Its a car that will keep its value few years down the road ;)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Btw its a pity that people are throwing thousands of $$ away for selling their Stivo dirt cheap.. Motoman's 04' model with 22,000kms could easily fetch another 2-3grand if he wasn't in such a rush. Another thing is there are too many "rich kids" driving the Stivo so they just thrash them and sell them dirt cheap, dropping the value of the Stivo. My advice is if you can afford to keep the Stivo keep it, selling it is throwing $$ away. Its a car that will keep its value few years down the road ;)

I hope you're not calling me a rich kid <_<

My car was pristine.. anyone who had seen it would have agreed... but i had absolutely no interest in it at all... was advertised for months... then after selling for $22k i had 6 people call me in one day wanting to buy it.. always the way :blink:

I would have loved to have kept it.. but at the end of the day.. it was costing me too much.. and i would much prefer a business to a car

here she is in her resting state... look at that shine!

ok you happy... now you have depressed me.. :unsure: i want my car back... :P

low2.JPG

I hope you're not calling me a rich kid <_<

My car was pristine.. anyone who had seen it would have agreed... but i had absolutely no interest in it at all... was advertised for months... then after selling for $22k i had 6 people call me in one day wanting to buy it.. always the way :blink:

I would have loved to have kept it.. but at the end of the day.. it was costing me too much.. and i would much prefer a business to a car

here she is in her resting state... look at that shine!

ok you happy... now you have depressed me.. :unsure: i want my car back... :P

low2.JPG

Hehe Motoman, a man's got to do what a man's got to do :D great looking Stivo btw, whoever bought it for that price must be so lucky ;)

Yeh with those sportivo's and the recalls i actually spoke to toyota customer service the other day and they told me that corolla sportivo's with the build dates between 04/03/2002 - 21/04/2004 were the cars that needed to be recalled. The "gentleman" i spoke to on the phone told me that there was not a reduction in power however a "increase", not sure i believe that. I was told that pre recall they had 125kw, this was due to wrong ECU and air cap...

The member who just sold his blue sporty for cheap, i saw that man and told my mate to go for it, but man that was a steal, u let that go wayyyyy to cheap...

Cheers

Nick

the reason the toyota really had to go back was that the intake of the car made too mush noise wasnt it? i was told that the major reason was it didnt pass an ADR regarding drive by noise, and it was something to do with the intake.

anyway, all i can say is that i noticed no difference between new and old ecu and airboxes, except maybe that the power delivery is a lot smoother