Hi From Western Australia (SW)

Welcome to the Forum. I jumped ship from Honda to Toyota many years ago. At the time it was more a purchase price decision but still wanting to have a reliable vehicle.  

I have a tendency for preventative maintenance to avoid expensive repairs. Also being DIY and "old school", I recommend an engine oil change interval of 5000 kms and regular changes of the Automatic Transmission Fluid [ATF]. 

On 1/3/2022 at 12:57 AM, robsanders85 said:

Always been a Mazda owner all my life, decided to jump ship, after many years.

We won't hold that against you mate :biggrin:

Seriously, welcome aboard and congrats on the new Prado. They are beautiful vehicles and I'm sure you're getting a great sense of satisfaction when you climb into that drivers seat !

Follow Ashley's advice on regular service intervals and you can't go wrong. Don't follow the stupid service book oil interval changes, because it will degrade your engine from the accumulation of oil sludge and burnt oil deposits and make for costly future repairs. 15k service intervals is a Joke.

There's plenty of evidence of that happening here from unsuspecting owners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a bloke on YT, named Customer States What, who now works on Toyotas at a Toyota dealer in Brooklyn NY. He puts out good videos. His channel is worth a look.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, joeallen said:

There is a bloke on YT, named Customer States What, who now works on Toyotas at a Toyota dealer in Brooklyn NY. He puts out good videos. His channel is worth a look.

I will have to view some of his videos tonight.

Similarly on TouTube videos there is a Toyota Master Technician named The Car Nut who works at a Toyota dealership in Chicago. His series of videos are well worth your time. Worthwhile to know the proper techniques and procedures to service and maintain your Toyota.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joeallen said:

I admire those who put out good content based on impeccable knowledge. Thanks for the tip.

Here's a link for those who would like a short cut.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn6vqubMiovmrQt-MmYjjBg/videos

The Car Care Nut Channel is also up there with the better ones too. He goes by the name of AMD and is very knowledgeable as Ashley mentioned.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, campbeam said:

I will have to view some of his videos tonight.

Similarly on TouTube videos there is a Toyota Master Technician named The Car Nut who works at a Toyota dealership in Chicago. His series of videos are well worth your time. Worthwhile to know the proper techniques and procedures to service and maintain your Toyota.

Have to agree with The Car Nut being awesome. I just did my front brake pads and fluid change using his videos and they are very easy to follow with great tips. 

• Like 2

Totally agree Adam, he explains things very clearly and makes sure to get across the VITAL MUST DO things which make it easy to understand and instead of being terrified to try things on my computer on wheels I feel brave enough to tackle them myself like I used to do. 

KAA

16 hours ago, KAA said:

Totally agree Adam, he explains things very clearly and makes sure to get across the VITAL MUST DO things which make it easy to understand and instead of being terrified to try things on my computer on wheels I feel brave enough to tackle them myself like I used to do. 

KAA

Yep. It's like anything. Know what you're doing before you do it. Do the research, learn and follow the procedure and you can't go wrong.

Remember the threads surrounding the service of the U660E transmission for our Aurion's ? It looks like a daunting task to service, but after some research and gathering of the necessary tools and items, it wasn't as daunting as it was claimed to be. Anyone handy, who can wrench, can do it and most other DIYs Rob.

Don't be afraid, I say. 

Stuff like engine out jobs etc, of course it would be for the workshop mechanic, not so for the average DIYer. If I had to do it, I would attempt it because I used to do plenty of engine/transmission out jobs back in the day, so it doesn't phase me. These modern cars are very different though and again, learn and follow the procedure and you can't go wrong.

• Like 1