Giving it some stick

just recently i was really giving it to my stivo, wanting to see how high i could keep the revs up and one of my gear changes caused a bit of a loud thud....maybe coz i let the clutch out a bit too quickly. my mate heard it n he reckons its the differential basically Sh**ing itself. as im still gettin used to the car i felt a bit bad and decided to drive like a granny for the rest of the time :( .....lol

is this realllllllly bad for the car? and which part does it most likely effect?

thanx in advance for all your replies!

p.s. i think im gonna take it easy from now on............

if you bounced around after shifting gear, then it's the clutch bouncing against the flywheel or maybe it's the throttle cable? - hey now u got ur stivo, u can give me ride!! :lol:

Robby,

your fine to hammer it man, you saw how i drove that Celica when i had it. cars have rev limiters in them to prevent over reving and hence detremental damage to the engine, bro you can fang that thing and it will be fine, as one of the others said its meent to be hammered. Man the car is there to be enjoyed, if your not gonna hit tech, then you might as well have a normal corolla ;) its a revvy engine, drive it like a race car (only in same conditions) :)

Robby,

your fine to hammer it man, you saw how i drove that Celica when i had it. cars have rev limiters in them to prevent over reving and hence detremental damage to the engine, bro you can fang that thing and it will be fine, as one of the others said its meent to be hammered. Man the car is there to be enjoyed, if your not gonna hit tech, then you might as well have a normal corolla ;) its a revvy engine, drive it like a race car (only in same conditions) :)

rev limiters aren't going to save incompetent shifting. esp downshifting. we all know wat happens when u select 2nd intead of 4th. :)

Robby,

rev limiters aren't going to save incompetent shifting. esp downshifting. we all know wat happens when u select 2nd intead of 4th. :)

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

BANG!

all over..... :P

what actually happens when you select 2nd instead of 4th and blow up your engine? like does it just go bang and you lose all your power?... do you totally lose control? what breaks exactly?

Where is that very old Honda Integra TypeR (DC5) vid of the dude shifting into 2nd instead of 4th... revved waaayyy off the tacho but nothing really happened to his car, like it didn't go bang or loose control. I do have experience in a car with a piston that sh!t itself though, it goes like this... you take off from a standtsill, into 2nd gear, revv and all of sudden its like someone jammed on your brakes or like you hit an invisible brick wall and the bloody car jerks forward aggressively :blink: not fun.. That's my expeirence, the car took 8 weeks to fix, overhauled engine and cost the dealership $6000 B)

Rollagirl did plenty of damage on a miss shift. Search for it as it's on here somewhere. Rev limiters stop revs on upshifts but on downshifts you can actually get the engine rev higher than the 8200rpm limiter. Makes a mess if it goes bang I can tell you. I've dropped valves before at peak revs(not in a Sportivo) and it stuffs the head,piston, rocker gear and fills the rest of the engine with metal shavings. Brissys boys who have been with me to my parents house have seen the "trophy cabinet".

As for Sportivo's going bang.... well Northy's had a custom made inspection point in the front and the back of the block so you could check out the wear on the crank, rods(what remained of it :o ) and the rest of the bottom end. :D

what actually happens when you select 2nd instead of 4th and blow up your engine? like does it just go bang and you lose all your power?... do you totally lose control? what breaks exactly?

Do you mean downshifting from, for example, 5th?. B/c I tried it once when I was doing 80km in 5th and downshifted to 2nd. My friend in the passenger seat literally got chuckled bad. The revs jumped from like 3000 to like 8000 and back to 7000. All together, an amazing feeling. :D SUGE!!!!. btw, i own a 05' stivo.

I suggest everyone should try it. lol.

Do you mean downshifting from, for example, 5th?. B/c I tried it once when I was doing 80km in 5th and downshifted to 2nd. My friend in the passenger seat literally got chuckled bad. The revs jumped from like 3000 to like 8000 and back to 7000. All together, an amazing feeling. :D SUGE!!!!. btw, i own a 05' stivo.

I suggest everyone should try it. lol.

8000rpm in 2nd gear you would be close to 100km/h ;) pretty brave to try that though or did you just miss the 4th gear slot?

8000rpm in 2nd gear you would be close to 100km/h ;) pretty brave to try that though or did you just miss the 4th gear slot?

That's right! I was somewhere near the 100km mark give or take. Was going home from city, and thought that I'ii give it a try. therefore, it was intentional. :D

Should have seen the look of my friends face. :D -- Priceless.

a friend of mine did a 6th to 2nd(when going for forth) change at 120 to throw it into lift to overtake, and blew the oil pump apart... he has no pics, but said it looked the same as when mine blew itself apart for no apparent reason.

IMAGE_007.jpg

IMAGE_008.jpg

IMAGE_009.jpg

photos were taken with my phone hence the slightly "off" quality.

its 8500! serious!, lol

my rsm displays like i can rev to 8500 then it cuts out........ not flat shifting!

my highest revs were 86xx or something

you sure you weren't a little high on intoxicants that day :P :P

maybe you have a PFC but you don't know it :P :ph34r:

but seriously the engine is only meant to rev up to 8200rpm stock. to remove the rev cut you need somethng like a full replacement ECU or some piggybacks (the new Unichip?) Celicas are the same although there were rumours of 7800rpm cutouts which sucks.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

according to the trusty blitz r-vit. my peak rpm was 8400+rpm.

the cutout still occurs around 8200rpm but the cutout isn't very smooth so it bounces around. also i noticed that cutout seems to occur a fraction later if u're not flooring the pedal. just my observations...

according to the trusty blitz r-vit. my peak rpm was 8400+rpm.

the cutout still occurs around 8200rpm but the cutout isn't very smooth so it bounces around. also i noticed that cutout seems to occur a fraction later if u're not flooring the pedal. just my observations...

i have noticed that too that sometimes the revcut seems to hold off a bit longer like maybe 8250?? but nowhere near 8500rpm though.. got to admit i would love it to rev that high. and Shao is right, i also noticed when u have gas pedal slightly off when u r right on redline you will notice the revs climbing a bit higher without really hitting the rev-limiter or maybe it was smack on the rev limit but not enough gas to get it to bounce back and forth.