Calling BS on reliability

Henstepper

Ok so i bought my toyota aurion after listening to a lot of mechanics go on about toyota reliability. So far in the words of scotty kilmer mine has been an endless money pit. not only do things break often, when they do brake they are damn expensive to fix

My window wiper fluid stopped working, So here i was thinking it was just low on fluid. Fill it still nothing. Take it to toyota and they hit me with the motor not working that will be $600 for the motor and $150 an hour for labor and it takes 2 hours to fix.

i almost dropped to the floor. i declined the repair and swiftly walked out because in my mind i cant justify spending almost $1000 just for a gadget to spray water. How absolutely absurd!

Anyways toyota reliability? yeah not really.

/end rant

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

That repair quote is absurd particularly for the electric pump motor. You should find your way to a wreckers. 40 series Aurion or Camry will be suitable.

The wiper fluid bottle is hidden away so will take some time to access.

Best to check the fuse box first, to confirm/eliminate it is not just a blown fuse. Also check the wiring and electrical connector.

• Like 1

Totally agree with Ashley's statement that is total BS, I also suggest hunting down another washer assembly from a wrecker as they are not a part that is on constant use you should be able to locate one of the V40 series Aurion/Camry easy mate. The only thing is removal and replacement takes some time if you do it slow and steady you will sort it fairly easy. Let us know what you end up doing, after all the vehicle is 13 years old so things do go. A friend of mine just bought a new LDV and after 1 week it had to go back for multiple engine sensor faults so new does not mean good, for me Toyota is still the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned.

KAA

• Like 1

Remember that American Camrys and Corollas are different to ours. Theirs are littered with hundreds of issues ours don't face.

But did you try some basic things? Blowing compressed air down the (unplugged) jet to make sure it's not blocked up? Were you able to isolate where the issue could have stemmed from?

You went to Toyota directly. Any dealership will charge an arm and a leg for anything. That price was ludicrously expensive though. Damn shame they quoted you that much! Any other mechanic would probably do it for 1/2 the price.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 4:41 PM, Henstepper said:

Ok so i bought my toyota aurion after listening to a lot of mechanics go on about toyota reliability. So far in the words of scotty kilmer mine has been an endless money pit. not only do things break often, when they do brake they are damn expensive to fix

My window wiper fluid stopped working, So here i was thinking it was just low on fluid. Fill it still nothing. Take it to toyota and they hit me with the motor not working that will be $600 for the motor and $150 an hour for labor and it takes 2 hours to fix.

i almost dropped to the floor. i declined the repair and swiftly walked out because in my mind i cant justify spending almost $1000 just for a gadget to spray water. How absolutely absurd!

Anyways toyota reliability? yeah not really.

/end rant

That is most definitely a rant but a failed washer motor and an obscenely high quote don't make a car unreliable. 

Edited by noah_73
  • Like 4

Going to the dealer should be everyone's last resort and even then I'd still hesitate. 

You were absolutely right in walking out in disgust. I would too.

Don't let a problematic window washer dampen your spirit of the mighty Aurion my friend. Our Aurion's are probably the last remaining bastion of reliability when comparing to many other makes and models that have been and continue to come. I plan to keep mine as long as humanly possible. It's too good to give up.

If I encounter an issue, I always like to research the issue first and attempt to fix it myself. A general search on google, then YouTube university can be surprisingly good.

When it comes to parts, I search Ebay first as there are many wreckers who advertise there now, including private sellers. I've been lucky over the years and have stockpiled a few good spares for my car. Mainly the consumable items among others.

Don't despair. Check the obvious things first. It could be something as simple as a fuse or plug may have dislodged. If the pump is bad, no big deal. You can get a good used item for peanuts and install it yourself if you have some DIY capability. If you don't ask a friend to help. There's always a better solution to handing over $1000 for something that shouldn't cost more than $100 give or take.

Let us know how you get on. Perhaps we can help in some way.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more Tony. I have a 2010 Toyota Aurion ATX granpa spec. Bought it in 2019 with 48K on it from a cattle station out Gunnedah way. I am an aircraft mechanic and have been under cars since I could hold a spanner. In my old age I don't find enjoyment in crawling under my daily drive regularly, so I drive the last utterly reliable Toyota with only one known issue (I'm looking at you oil cooler lines) and capable of easily eclipsing half a million kays with only oil changes...yes more expensive on fuel than your fifty thousand dollar modern econobox...but I own my car and have ridiculous power on tap when desired and no need to buy a new car for many years...my 2 cents. Cheers 

• Like 4

To be honest, we rarely have to use the washer. I cringe having to use it because you are wiping dirt and grit into the glass, and despite it "cleaning" the windshield, over time you will see those unsightly streaks etched into the glass.

I much prefer to keep a few dedicated microfiber cloths handy with a bottle of my favourite Rain-X and give it a once over when required. That way, you not only clean the glass safely, you also top up the hydrophobic coating, so that you almost never need to even use your wipers. Win-Win. 😉

• Haha 1

ah, the ocd wiper 😆

Thing is you're right, until that wiper becomes wet the glass is going to get marred.

I'm actually going to test removing light scratches/marring on the Aurion as well as heavy water marks on my ensuite glass with a product I already have, CeriGlass, but this time with a proper glass cutting pad on my RO machine. I'll report back once done 👍

Edited by ZZT86
typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 11:14 AM, ZZT86 said:

I'm actually going to test removing light scratches/marring on the Aurion as well as heavy water marks on my ensuite glass with a product I already have, CeriGlass, but this time with a proper glass cutting pad on my RO machine.

I have to put that job on my long list of to do items too. I have some Ceri Glass and the correct rayon pad for the job. Just need some free time to get it done because it's not a five minute job either. It can take hrs to do properly.

Luckily for me, mine's not marred up but there is some etching though. 

On 2/10/2023 at 5:20 PM, Henstepper said:

My mechanic charged me $140 to fix the issue. I told them about toyotas $900 quote and they couldnt believe it

I was confident it would be a cheap fix. Shame on Toyota for that rip off gouge attempt.