Oil light

Ok i was getting on to the M4 from Parramatta Road at Strathfield....i conducted my daily ritual of:

coming round the bend i gunned it hitting lift in 1st then 2nd then 3rd...

then i backed off getting back down to the speed limit...about 1 minute later my oil light came on for about 10 seconds...

this has never happened before under any conditions.....

can anyone tell me the cause..??

i checked dipstick as soon as i got home with a hot engine...there was oil in there....

Lucky you sportivo owners have chain lol i have a darn belt :lol: :P

As for the problem im no merchanic but could there be a glitch in wireing maybe? was the oil level still full??

Checked it this morning while the car was cold...

the oil levels were right on the bottom dot of the dip stick...

i think correct levels should be between top dot and bottom dot..

running low on oil.....which is surprising because i havnt seen any oil leaks on my garage floor...

could the car be chewing through the oil??

its due for service this friday

Ok i was getting on to the M4 from Parramatta Road at Strathfield....i conducted my daily ritual of:

coming round the bend i gunned it hitting lift in 1st then 2nd then 3rd...

then i backed off getting back down to the speed limit...about 1 minute later my oil light came on for about 10 seconds...

this has never happened before under any conditions.....

can anyone tell me the cause..??

i checked dipstick as soon as i got home with a hot engine...there was oil in there....

I pretty sure I have read about this on www.monkeywrenchracing.com. I think they said something about the 2ZZ not being able to keep up adequite oil pressure to safley keep the internals of the engine nice and lubed up when fanging it around corners (the only real downfall of the 2ZZ, especially on the track). And the problem will also occur if you oil is running hot as well. They recommend the Morroso Oil Pan which increases the volume of oil available for your engine and helps to maintain a cooler temp because the pan is made from aluminum or something like that. Hope this helps :D

i have just topped it off with 2.5 litres of oil...

hope it lasts till Friday when i take it for service....

I was just thinking...

no visible signs of oil loss...

could it be internal???

Red light is oil pressure and orange is oil level from memory??? (anybody care to agree??)

If your car needed 2.5 litres of oil then how long since your last service??

High revving N/A engines will consume oil due to the high rpm and the crank case pressure created from those revs. S2000 owners have to have an oil change at very short intervals(like 2500km or something like that) otherwise they void their warranty due to the engine using a little bit of oil. It doesn't burn it but merely blows it out the breather under high crankcase pressures. I'd imagine the Stivo is the same in that respect with high rpm and high compression ratios as well.

The oil light is on the right hand side of the dash and lights up when starting the car....

the engine light is on the left hand side...and both light up orange i think...

last service was 10000km ago....so that why its going in on Friday..for the 40000 service...

i normally change oils every 5000....this time i didnt do it....maybe i should not get lazy and change oils every 5000.

:blink: Does anyone actually check their oil level, coolant level, brake fluid, power steering fluid, tyre pressures here on a regular basis?

Or am I just a heretic ?

It doesn't matter if you find oil stains on the garage floor / driveway or not, you still need to be checking all these things on a regular basis on any car.

I check my tyre pressures once a week lol...

everything else i seem to ignore..i think its a new car...sort of anyway...what possibly can go wrong?

:lol: is that all you check?? i check everything all the time!! Muhahaha i have to :P

:blink: Does anyone actually check their oil level, coolant level, brake fluid, power steering fluid, tyre pressures here on a regular basis?

Or am I just a heretic ?

It doesn't matter if you find oil stains on the garage floor / driveway or not, you still need to be checking all these things on a regular basis on any car.

check tyre pressure oil and coolant weekly man, always have, just sorta became common practice for me. as for power steering and brakes, not as often and the others but still check em every now and then

Or am I just a heretic ?

I check often! Everytime i fill up so 1 every 2 weeks

I pretty sure I have read about this on www.monkeywrenchracing.com. I think they said something about the 2ZZ not being able to keep up adequite oil pressure to safley keep the internals of the engine nice and lubed up when fanging it around corners (the only real downfall of the 2ZZ, especially on the track). And the problem will also occur if you oil is running hot as well. They recommend the Morroso Oil Pan which increases the volume of oil available for your engine and helps to maintain a cooler temp because the pan is made from aluminum or something like that. Hope this helps :D

I too had read about that... the stock oil pan is not sufficient to keep oil going to the engine at ~1G of sideways action... they changed the pan in the Lotus(added a baffle), and also in the Toyota Racing series here in NZ(2zzge in an open wheeler) after a few weeks of failures based on oil starvation.

I've been looking at one of these(aftermarket pan) as I will be doing a bit more track action shortly... but $499USD, ouchy.

Before i use to do 5,000kms every 6 weeks so i didnt bother checking because the car goes to the mechanic every 5,000kms. Now i do 5,000kms in 10 weeks so i have to check it more often. 1 thing you forgot is the water in the washer bottle ;) Last thing you want is to be driving along to a meet and have a bug splatter on your windscreen and cant get it off :lol: