According to industry journal Automotive

News this week, the new 1.8 will debut a new

family of engines ranging from 1.6 to 3.0 litres

in capacity.

Claimed to offer at least a five per cent

improvement in fuel efficiency compared to the

current engine, the new powerplant will be smaller

and lighter than the current engine and use dual

variable valve timing and ultra-light pistons.

It is also said to reduce friction by using roller

bearings in the rocker arms. To reduce size, Toyota

has apparently used a modular front section of the

engine, which incorporates the water pump and

chain cover.

Smaller-diameter spark plugs have also been

employed to reduce engine size.

The engine will be built at Toyota’s Shimoyama

engine plant in Miyoshi, near Toyota City in

Japan.

any figures yet?

To reduce size, Toyota

has apparently used a modular front section of the

engine, which incorporates the water pump and

chain cover.

all this means is that it will be big $$$$$ when something breaks :rolleyes:

The more I hear about new Toyota models and engines and stuff, the more I'm thinking my next car will be a good old fashion Commodore....

as much as I hate to say it.... the Focus XR5 is looking tempting

3 Litre corolla ?! :blink: ..interesting..

they are talking about the new engines not engines specifically for corollas ;)

oopse.. i got a lil carried away :P :D

Bommadores are clunky. They're like 'DUHHHHH ME IS TURNING' when you steer them etc. They have no 'feel' to them. I get back into my old man's GEN III powered VX 2 Calais here and there and fark I hate driving it. Gen III? Yeah it's quick...up top. The Sportivo kills it from 0 - 140 odd (already raced him).

Commodores...they're like, the 'Promagnon Man' or 'Caveman' of cars I think. "Me race 4 cylinder. Me win" lmao

Azza get an IS200 or something. They may only be an underpowered 2.0L straight 6 but at least they're really comfy and still Toyota. Plus they feel direct in everything. RWD too, burnout time lol.

I've got a 23 year old Commodore, still running fine on it's original engine and everything else except for shocks and exhaust for that matter... I can change the oil and filter on it without even raising the car because everything is so accessable.

I think what Azza is pointing too is modern engines are becoming a little too complex for their own good.

I've got a 23 year old Commodore, still running fine on it's original engine and everything else except for shocks and exhaust for that matter... I can change the oil and filter on it without even raising the car because everything is so accessable.

I think what Azza is pointing too is modern engines are becoming a little too complex for their own good.

I have no doubt about that. I just find them 'duh' and clunky that's all.

F1 tech yo George! lol

Thats becuase they dont want you to service your car. Its a guaranteed way for the company of making money on a vehicle long after its sale, by offering warranty, which can only be maintained by regular dealership services. Still, Toyota is pretty good. If you compare our current engine bay to a VW Golf, for example, its fairly accessible, but compared to an old Commo :D well, you have enough room in there for another engine, those days are well and truly gone.

I did like the IS200, and still don;'t mind the new one IS240 or whatever it is, however what I don't like is when TMC or any other manufacturer create a vehicle with certain features and spec, then they bring on newer replacement models and remove those specs, like underpowering an engine compared to it's previous spec.

As it is now, with a 141kW 1.8, I'd hate it if there were another Corolla Sportivo with either lack of lift or a 120kW engine or something....

But thats my opinion. Obviously I'm in a minority otherwise this wouldn't happen....

The Corolla has been testing in 3.0 and 3.5v6 guise, being new gen camry engines. The models being tested are AWD and most likley for Euro and/or North America consumption. The cost on this in oz would be huge (guess over $45k?).... so a turbo/supercharged is likley from TRD oz for the next gen rolla... if they make 1 sporty.