Another car we can beat

I had a run last night with a guy in a lexus, its the one that looks like a soarer, turbo charged thing.

Now I WILL at this point say he had an Auto so he was disadvantaged but he also had a turbo and a 6 Cyl motor.

We had been playing with each other for a while when we finally got side by side at a red light, quick burst on the revs from both of us and we both knew it was one.

Lights went green, i got the jump on him and gained half a car length, as lift kicked in for me, boost kicked in for him, I got a perfect change and slipped my clutch to hold lift. Here is the surprising bit. Until a speed which I will not mention but lets just say it was very fast, he did NOT gain so much as a milimetre on me, I didnt pull any further ahead but he didnt reel me in either. I was most surprised as was he.

Go the N/A car beating a turbo car ;).

Hmmmm, i looked up the specs for the SC300 (which is what it was) and it say's it is N/A. On such a case, how in gods name did I not pull away when I was in lift? There is a common bolt on turbo mod, I can only think that he must have got that kit on there with a fairly low boost. Its an inline 6 cyl with DOHC. I fail to see how his power output at high revs would jump like ours does without some sort of forced induction, it makes no sense.

At the lights, we had been playing with each other, for the last 10 or so K's, overtaking each other then backing off but I never saw him before that. While in a straight line we were pretty even (except that I got a cleaner start than him) the corners we would clean him up, rear wheel drive, he has to be careful, front wheel drive if we lose traction, simply backing off will make it pull it back in, a rear wheel drive you risk it snapping back the other way or continuing its drift, much harder to recover :)

The soarer's have the 1jz engines.

The 1JZ-GTE is a twin turbo engine, this engine comes in 3 different configurations, 1JZ-GTE non-vvti,1JZ-GTE vvti and the 1JZ-GTE single Turbo VVTi.

The most common form is the 1JZ-GTE twin turbo non-vvti.

The engine comes with 8.5:1 Compression ratio with 280hp@6200rpm.

Displacement,cc: 2491

Max power: 206kw / 6200rpm

Max torque: 360Nm / 4800rpm

compression: 8.5:1

bore x stroke: 86mm x 71.5mm

I did have a go at a blue one before. i was half a length ahead in first gear. stuffed up the change to 2nd and he shot forward and gained half a length but didn't pull away :blink: and he wasn't game enough to go beyond that.

I know a guy who owns two Toyota Soarers with the 1JZ-GTE twin turbo. they are quick not only from a stand-still, but also quick from a rolling start. they have very little turbo lag and are great cars. These are performance cars right fromt the start.

I also have another friend with a Lexus SC400 V8 Auto. Aparently, the V8 only comes in auto and Normally aspirated form. they are nice as a luxury car (hence the Lexus badging) but will not perform as they are heavy. They would still kick our ****s in a hill climb though. they have climate control, SAT Nav on some cars and rear facing camera for parking through the LCD screen.

I think you may have raced a N/A car because the twin turbo model would eat us alive. torque is made very low in the rev range and they aren't that heavy to boot. the other alternative is that you're a better driver than him. :D

anyway, that's my 2 cents.

perhaps. You can almost always tell a turbo car by the sound of it's exhaust as revs rise. N/A cars scream louder and louder as they rev harder under load. Turbo cars usually give a more consistant deep roar throughout the rev range. the turbines in the exahaust muffle the sound and gives a more consistent groan without the screaming.

the blowoff valve if they have one is also a good clue :D

Those cars are heavy as.. just like the supras.. Thats probably the advantage you got.

They're more of a luxury sports hype.. sorry to say, just like ours. But at least ours performs AND screams :D

Well from what ive read in the past the soarers even though 206kw twin turbo 2.5, they were in the 1700-1800kg weight range. A twin turbo still pulls 0-100 in under seven secs according to specs on the car, it was 6.9 if i remember correct, and q/m was in the 14's. Now i think that was done with the 5 speed manual, which are very rare in Oz. I think youre right Blade Hunter, even if it was a twin turbo, you probably beat it, i mean they are very heavy cars, if it was NA straight six, you should have smoked it by more than what you did man, it does sound like you took on a stock twin turbo soarer. Well done :D ......ummmm what speed did u get up to? :) :)

I have a feeling it was a soarer non turbo. I have beaten a Supra Auto Non Turbs b4. Its not too difficult. Also beaten a e36 328 convertible which was sweet. He pulled up next to me and was like are you packing a turbo under there hehe. Nice to beat a 2.8L V6 even if it was 5 years old.

One of my close friends has a Soarer twin turbo with a larger exhaust as his only mod.

We have probably raced about 15 times off the line, and let me just tell you this:

Its just as embarrassing the first time as it is the 15th time losing by so much.

In the first 15 meters he has me everytime and his is auto.

I also did a 330 convertible, a 2002 model :o

He did his traffic light antics with the powered 'hood :blink: .........

To show off the trophy blonde in the passenger seat..... B)

Lights go green... i get half a car length at 70..... and a car and a half to me as i shift into 3rd..... :lol:

The whole time I could hear him giving the car s***, so he was going for it....

Again, the BMW is a wonderful engine, but the convertible adds around 120kg to the chassis (around 1650kg total), and thats enough to do it.

Put the same engine in the coup hardtop, and I wouldnt have a hope (6.6 0-100, 1500kg)

Lucio, 160

160? :blink: What was the speed limit on that road?

Thats exactly why I didnt post the speed in the original message, the speed limit of the road was 160, thats why we backed off there :)

160 huh... LOL, I wished we had roads like that here in wa.. :D