Pod cause loss of power?

Josh_89 Ultima

hey everyone!

one of my friends said that puting a pod o my car (89 camry) could cause a loss of power :blink:

i dont understand how that would work though...

Anyone else heard about this, or is he just talking out his ...

any help would be appreciaed as i want to put one on

oh ok... so when you say you installed a cold air intake, do you mean a pipe that runs fron the front of the car to the pod so it is only getting cold air?

i have looked at the standard air box and it has a 'tube' the runs to the front on the engin bay....

If i was to put a pod, could i use the already existing 'tube' thats is been used for the original air box, but make an extention so it points directly into the pod. This would improve air flow would'nt it?

2062019_67.jpg

My Short RAM Intake With Massive K&N Pod Filter

Stick with your stock Airbox, they're good enough. But if you want more cold air, get Cold Air Intake. Other than that the STOCK Box is OK :)

My Cold Air Intake with K&N Pod Filter

2062019_75.jpg2062019_76.jpg2062019_77.jpg

also sounds so much better if you get CAI, In my opinion. B)

I wouldnt put a put a Pod filter over the existing tube. You might have a leak somewhere in the piping.

If you ever wanted to get smart you could custom fabricate an airbox for a Short Ram setup.

The main benefits with the Short Ram setup is throttle response. It's much better. However you'll have to screw around to deliver cold air to it.

Cold Air Intake is fine for people like leasaunce and me who just want power and no screwing around haha.

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of a pod, have you considered a K&N replacement panel filter? That way you maintain the acoustics of the original airbox and inlet tract, and it keeps the engine bay looking smart and original. Theres a lot of engineering involved in designing an intake tract, why mess with it?

Since, on the inlet side of things, power is liberated through increased airflow and reduced temperature, I think it simpler to use a performance panel filter to increase airflow, and retain the original cold air feed to the airbox. I guess if you like you could make an additional cold air feed to the airbox.

Who knows, with a high-flowing panel filter instead of a pod, you may get the increased airflow that your after, but without the strange loss of bottom end some people are experiencing.

Otherwise, with a pod, you would need to make an enclosure PLUS a cold air feed.

Again, personal preference comes into it all. I like to keep things looking original. B)

post-2598-1156156117_thumb.jpg

Edited by Altise_Guy

Should at least take off the resonator if you are going to do the above. A nicer roar ! lol

But most people like the pods before of mainly sounding faster than real power.

• 4 weeks later...

I've stuck with the original box with the K&N panel filter.

I found that two air boxes exist...1 upper (with panel) and a lower one.

Inquisitive as I am, I cut a hole in the underside of the lower box wiith a hand angle grinder

......took the snorkel from the top and fixed it below (wire used to hold it in position).. (taped up where the snorkel was previously attached)....

...heh...grabbed a plastic smiths chips tube (similar to a pringles packet)...cut to shape and clipped into position....so virtually no extra weight was added to the car.........wulah.

post-1720-1158579478_thumb.jpg

Brad

Edited by V(Sportivo)6

Did you find that it helped at all?

Good idea!

Yeah.... I believe this helps with the response of the engine. Definately better than the original engine bay breathing intake..

I have drilled holes in the airbox (ie swiss cheese.......9-12, 8mm holes) in my previous car.....naturally done on the dirty underside of the air box with a K&N panel filter. If your not happy with the response from this you can fill the holes back up with silicon. This gives a good aspirated growling sound. You could also point a cold air feed to the intake mixture.

I dont believe that too much thought went into the air intake for the camry. They could at least could have designed some type of funnel behind the housing of one of the headlights at least.

They probably did this to prolong the life of the paper air filter....

Paper Filters ......cheap and nasty ...needs annual replacement does not breath as well

Foam Filters .....breaths a bit better ....has a turbulance of air ...not a good flow ...plus difficult to clean (look good only when new)

Oiled/Mesh filters.....just cant go past one of these.. I personnaly prefer the panel ....If using the pod (will need a heat shield)....re-usable too!

hope this sheds some light on air filters

Brad

Edited by V(Sportivo)6

The bottom air box is the resonator =). It is put there to silence the intake noise and thus making the car quieter for their intended buyers (family people). I know that this is a little snorkel that goes behind the left head light with the Gen4s. It goes from there into the resonator and then out of the resonator at the same opening. Removing or modding the resonator like above, would give better throttle response. I'm about to get a SRI from the states and then modding it into a CAI very soon.