New Camry 2007 Test Drive

conquest976

I was invited by a dealer sales rep who sold me Corolla last October. So I came that night to New Camry launch at Chadstone Toyota. I was impressed by the external looks of the car (particularly the Sportivo). It looks really nice when viewing in person. Looking at the interior, pretty well done design but the knobs and buttons feel cheap. He then came to me offering me a test drive which I would love to. He gave me the key to automatic Sportivo and let me drive, accompanied by my wife (he didnt came along, was too busy with other guests). It rides so well on the road, quieter than previous Camry and suspension is a bit firm (given this is Sportivo model). With only about 185km on odometer, I decided to floor down the pedal to see how it goes. Unfortunately this car is really slow, even slower than my manual Corolla Conquest. The car feels heavy and I think that the Sportivo could handle more power (I wish Toyota could put the forthcoming 3.5L V6 from Aurion release later this year into this Camry, only for Sportivo model. Like the Corolla Sportivo that have Celica VVTL-i engine to differentiate from the rest of Corolla VVT-i models. It feels quiet inside, pretty close to a Lexus car. When comes to braking, it bites so well even I brake really hard. Back into the dealer, he asked whether I really like the car then said it's pretty nice. He asked me whether I want to trade my Corolla in for the new Sportivo. Well I want to find out more about the pricing. And now comes the price, manual Sportivo priced at $35,363 drive away. He told my car will be sold between $16,500 to $17,000 and he will take it for $17,000 if I say yes to buy new Sportivo that night. Well, I don't really think it's worth the money to get a slower car. I'd rather stick to my Corolla and looking forward to keep it for another 3-5 yrs time. By that time hopefully more affordable new cars with more new features will be rolled into Australian shore. That's all for my review, and next will be Aurion :D

Thanks for the review.... :D

That's too bad that the new model...supposedly totally brand new in its build-up...doesn't have go.

I reckon it looks real nice too similar to the Lexus ISs in some respects on the outside, but the inside maybe a little more work could've been done. centre console n speedo remind me of my stivo. Same shape just diff panel setup.

post-1989-1155360163_thumb.jpg

So i'm guessing that even the sportivo camry has the same engine as all the rest of the camrys in the series? If so...that's so disappointing. :angry:

To me it seems that toyota has gone conservative and totally chopped of its youth market of hot small-med sized sports cars. Toyota atm got no competition up against Honda's Integra, Sub's WRX, Mit's Evo, Ford XR5, Mazda 3 MPS, Holden Astra SriT, VW Golf GTi etc etc.

N how come...Camry's don got the vvtL-i tec in em? like if its a sportivo....wouldn't vvtL-i be sweet in Sportivo Camry? or do they not need it?...

Toyota Aurion...diff story. Lolz man...Dual vvt-i?!!! :o

$35k for a manual 117kw "sportivo" ?? dont get confused with the corollas as the previous corolla sportivo was really something and completely different from the rest of the corollas..

for that money, you'd bettter off buying an Accord Euro with a 140kw engine.. besides its CBU Japan and better equipped with VSA comes standard

Even if you asked me the $35K sticker price is so dear for Camry Sportivo, the dealer told me the top spec Camry, the Grande with same engine as the rest of Camry range retailed for $48k drive away (Satellite navigation included) :wacko::blink:

saw these on the road 1 week before their actual launch. Dealers were driving them to and from work with trade plates lol. They look nice. was a sportivo model, but they are big heavy cars and there is no way a 2.4L engine will propel properly.

I too would wait till the aurion comes out. Especially the sportivo =)

I knew it! I knew it wouldn't have much go having had the (unfortunate?) chance of owning the Gen5 4-cyl Sportivo and even then I felt that the engine was lacking - something I finally resolved by trading up to the Gen5.5 V6 last year.

They should've include the 3.5L V6 N/A with dual vvt-i for sportivo model, it pushes 277hp for Indonesian market. It made 268hp over in USA.

Then keep the S/C version of the 3.5 V6 for the Aurion. But the Aurion power is not clear yet, it only said it will made more than 190kw. 277hp is at least 205kw, so hopefully the Aurion made more than 277hp.

• 1 month later...

The new camry is hot i reckon,has awesome looks nice stylish interior but the motor could have been abit more powerful, but in this day and age fuel cost so much who wants to go that tad bit faster.If I had a family I wpould definately buy one over the honda or other similar cars .Its a toyota man my mums camry was bought new in 88 and no **** never broke down

Great review.

I am happy to extend an invitation to all that are interested in driving the new Camry.

My name is Sam and i work at Pennant Hills Toyota.

So that you are all aware of what Toyota Claim.

The Kerb Mass has increased from 1435kg to 1495kg

Power has increased from 112kw to 117kw, torque remains the same.

The wheel base and track are wider aswell.

I almost forgot... Standard 17" X 7" alloy's 215 X 55 rubber.

Old model had trailing arm rear suspension, new model has chapman struts.

Aurion will hit Oz roads towards the end of October early November.

The inside information from my big wig contact's at Toyota, is that next year there will be a TRD line up released. With a TRD Camry, TRD Aurion...... etc......

Edited by MRROLA

Just wait for the v6 camry version - Aurion

i'm waiting for that and my free test drive :)

Sam - hows does Monday round 11 sound? It would great to see wot they have done. And i'll be more than happy to do a jermy clarkeson style review (not driving like jeremy, just be critical of everything!) and submit it to this forum

PM me if its all good.

Just wait for the v6 camry version - Aurion

i'm waiting for that and my free test drive :)

Sam - hows does Monday round 11 sound? It would great to see wot they have done. And i'll be more than happy to do a jermy clarkeson style review (not driving like jeremy, just be critical of everything!) and submit it to this forum

PM me if its all good.

for those thinking about getting a new camry / test driving it, be mindful of these:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=4170

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=6575

and finally:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=7691

just a heads-up :)

...Toyota Aurion...diff story. Lolz man...Dual vvt-i?!!! :o

The new corolla coming out next year also has dual vvt-i (in the 2ZR-FE engine)... although rumours say it still preduces around the 100Kw mark :huh: ... Although I am guessing it's because they are holding it back with the throttle/throttlebody and cat. converter like they have with the Post-October 2005 1ZZ-FE's (for Euro IV and other emissions restrictions) :(

The inside information from my big wig contact's at Toyota, is that next year there will be a TRD line up released. With a TRD Camry, TRD Aurion...... etc......

17" alloys are not standard, Altise only gets 15" steel rims.

Aurion will only be released in November.

Your big wig's contact at Toyota is wrong, there won't be a TRD Camry. TRD Aurion release has been delayed from Apr to June 07. TRD Hilux will be Nov 07. Only 2 TRD models so far.

17" alloys are not standard, Altise only gets 15" steel rims.

Aurion will only be released in November.

Your big wig's contact at Toyota is wrong, there won't be a TRD Camry. TRD Aurion release has been delayed from Apr to June 07. TRD Hilux will be Nov 07. Only 2 TRD models so far.

Hey toyrex.

Sorry. Standard on the Altise are 16" steel wheel's.

Ateva gets 16" alloy's with a steel spare.

Sportivo gets 17" alloy's with alloy spare.

Grande gets 16" alloys with alloy spare.

Your right all TRD models will be released in 2007. I said that.

Oh and their are no TRD models in the Toyota range at the moment.

Sam :)

Edited by MRROLA

there won't be a TRD Camry.

How do you know for certain? I was pretty sure last year's sportivo concept hinted at turbocharging the current 2.4L engine, so we should probably wait and see :)

You'll be waiting for a very long time for a turbocharged 2.4l to appear, possibly next model which is due in 2011.

Edited by toyrex

New to this...Can I put a V-Tech controller into the new Camry's like in the Honda's. Is the VVTti technology the same as the HOonda V-Tech engines?

117kw is a bit weak but my wife does not like the shape of the 380.

:help:

I'm going to make the pretty fair call that any kind of performance-oriented Aurion (i.e a version with 240kw or so) will go for around the 45 grand mark, probably more. For that money, you can get a brilliantly engineered, RWD V8 with 270kw, and 530Nm. This car can also do 13.5's down the quarter, and 0-100 in almost 5 flat. Fuel economy is excusable for such silly straight line performance, but even 14.5/100km isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things. A hard pedaled supercharged Aurion (or whatever donk the sporty one will have) will be just as thirsty, if not thirstier. And there is no way an Aurion will get close to matching the sprint times; FWD will always have limitations going in a straight line, and even more going around corners.

And before you all start huffing and puffing, screaming blue murder, and telling me Commodores are pieces of sh*t, sit in a new VE. Holy sh*t, the interior quality is astounding, if only because of the improvement over the VT-VZ cars, let alone the competition today. I'll admit it's only been out for a month and we're yet to see any recalls (which will almost inevitably happen), but the same will go for the Aurion when it's released.

Edited by Nunga_08

IS250 Prestige 6sp manual is $54 large + on roads, Sports Luxury auto is $78 large + on roads. The IS350 will be out of reach for most people, guaranteed, and if the reviews on the IS and GS are anything to go by, it's still not a fantastic drive.

But, it seems we've digressed.

By all accounts the new Camry is a good car; its biggest fault being a lack of power. But, an engine with a compression of 9.6 is just begging to be turbocharged, in spite of the fact it's undersquare with a 96mm stroke (and thus 88.5mm bore). But look, in all seriousness, you're not buying a Camry to win drags or do circuit work; you're buying a Camry to comute to and from work, and take the kids to school. I know there are people that do this and still enjoy taking the long way through the mountains home, but they should probably look for something like an N/A XR6 or spend a bit more and get an SS.