help me out with my audio YO!! >.<

KaZe-

Hi all,

im dumping my stock head unit soon and upgrading my whole audio!! not sure what to go for just check what u ppl have and what i should go for?!

heres what i was thinking

i heard that JL was a good brand so i thought about

JL speakers and tweeters

JL amp

JL sub

not sure on the watts does the amp have to have more watts then the sub???

and i was gonna get a 7" double din pioneer head unit to go with it also??

what u all think or i was gonna go with all alpine too??

budget is 2k-3k

Cheers Steve,

Hmmm lemme start by giving "crazy black ba5tard" Steve a scenario. When you buy a car, what factors affect your decision when buying a car? There are a lot of things but in the end, it all comes down to your test drive and whether you actually like the experience of being in the car or not. Similar situation here. You gotta get out there and listen to what you like before you buy. People could tell you "GET ALPINE", "GO MTX!, "JL FTW!"... but this doesn't mean absolutely anything to you until you listen to the stuff yourself. They will most likely give you their experience with the product but when you're going with the better mainstream gear, there is very little chance anything could go wrong (provided they're installed properly of course).

Having said that, it's a good time you asked for what Audio stuff to go with because there's a car audio sound competition this Saturday. Round 5 of the CAASQ/dB Drag competition. Best chance to experience for yourself all the major brands and all the different types of setups available to see what will suit you best. Details for that show is here: http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=70930

The double-din Pioneer headunit you like is already around the $1.8k - $2k mark. Doesn't leave you much to spend on your speakers and amps especially if you want to go JL Audio. Unless you mean $2k -$3k on your speakers and amps alone?

Alpine stuff I'd recommend. The stuff I'd go for is what one of the members here (Nunga) has.

Amps:

MRD-M1005 - $899RRP

MRV-F545 - $799RRP

Subs:

SWR-1222D Type R X 2 - $800RRP

Speakers:

SPR-17LS Type-R Components - $349RRP

They're the RRP prices though. Street would be heaps cheaper. You could probably pick up all that stuff for around $2k. Leaves you with some money for your sub box and installation costs.

JL audio stuff, I'm not sure on their prices but I'm pretty sure they're more dearer because they're stuff is made in the USA I think?! Someone shed some light on JL gear...

Is there really any kind of logical reason for going all out on one brand?? Why not mix and match? I suppose matching the brands on the splits and the subs makes some sense. Most important thing when it comes down to selection is personal preference. If you like the way they sound and perform then by all means. But don't let other people tell you otherwise.

Another thing, your equipment will only perform as well as the installation. What I mean is don't spend all on classy equipment. A good quality installation is extremely important. For example, your type R splits cost around $400 so if you DIY, then its only $400. My boston splits cost only $300 if i add another $100 for sound deadening (do a google) my speakers would easily outperform yours. At this stage I still haven't got a sub for my car, cause my splits with sound deadened doors perform really well.

If your serious about your music then I suggest a better quality installtion over slightly better equipment. Your engine can only be so powerful until the gearbox breaks. As BigBum has mentioned, head over to Car Audio Australia and read up on the forums, you'll be amazed at the knowledge there and how far your money can go.

Cheers

P.S. I hope I don't offend you, cause I'm just assuming your knowledge in car audio is not that extensive.

Edited by Suprathai

You'd be an idiot to go with one manufacturer for absolutely everything. The only reason you'd stick with one brand is if they're sponsoring you in some way, shape or form. Companies excel in different areas, and very rarely in all areas.

For example;

Decks: Eclipse, Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion

Components Speakers: Rainbow, Dynaudio, Diamond, Morel, Eton, Boston, Focal

Amplifiers: Zapco, ARC Audio, Audison, JL Audio, Alpine, Phoenix Gold, Digital Designs

Subwoofers: Digital Designs, Rainbow, Alpine, MTX, JL Audio.

In no way am I saying you should avoid other brands, it's just when I think of a brand making a good *insert product*, I think of the above.

I've got no idea on RRP's for any of the stuff you could look at; use the internet and shop around.

I've got a fairly diverse sort of system, but my *** it hammers. You just have to do yoru research. CAA is a good start. You might think I'm being hypocritical by getting Alpine subs and amps, but the Alpine mono and subs came in a package which was really too good to refuse. The splits were bought off a mate who raved on and on about them.

Continuing on from Superthai above, quality installation is vital. And the first thing you really should do is sound deaden your doors and boot. There are many products available, from sheets to tar-based paint, and different companies, too. My front doors were first done in Sound-Off, which was fine. Then I did the whole boot, rear doors with Dynamat (arguably the best in the business). I had heaps left over (from 40sq ft) and got another layer over the front doors put on.

If you want a full-on psycho system, you'll probably be budgeting more than $3,000. BigBum isn't lying when he says half your budget went with the source unit (and is that unit really necessary???) However, corners can be cut to a point.

For corner cutting, go to www.jaycar.com.au and look at their splits and amplifiers. Cheap, reliable, brilliant. I had the 6.5" Kevlar cone splits for about a year running off an Alpine T220 amp, and they were awesome.

Drop me (or anyone else I guess) a PM if you want to have a more indepth chat. I'm by no means a professional (I can hook you up with a mate who is even more knowledgable) but I know enough to get me by.

Need to properly balance out your system. Your first priority is getting nice splits and some sound deadening. I spent a whole day in 40 degree summer heat sound deadening my doors, and I can tell you right now its the best thing that I've ever done. To put it into perspective, my friend had a 10" sub, splits, amps and HU. I only had splits, HU and sound deadening. He loved my initial setup, he told me I don't need a sub. LOL

Cheers

First, define what music you like to hear.

second, look for front speaker that is suitable for that kind of music

third, choose the amp that can deliver the best out of the speaker

fourth, pick head unit that can gives the clarity you want

Fifth, choose a suitable subwoofer for the music

sixth, grab yourself sound deadening, cables and quality RCA.

I have reason why I go on that order to build my sound system, but in regard to brands - yes big name brands deliver, but you don't have to go all the way all branded to build balance quality audio. 2nd hand can be a real bargain also - as audio parts depreciate like crazy, its good if u can spot some.

Here's how I calculate. If I have $2000, I will try to balance my spending for all the item above. So $400 for each step. You don't have to necessarily spend $400, but thats the allowable budget per step. No point buying something like Boston Accoustic speakers, but you run it with Pioneer amp. So with balance budget, you should be able to build balance system that (here's my favourite word) synergy with each other.

Edited by Danz

The way that I went about with my system is.

Speakers

Sound deadening

HU

AMP

Sub (yet to come)

Wiring - do not buy crappy wiring!! Do it properly once and it won't bother you again. Remember to protect your system properly by running fuses properly.

Cheers

:blink: omg thats alot of stuff i just wanted all brand names cuz i thought it would be better cuz they all the same!! :P daym... i checked out JL already and the speakers and tweeters,sub,amp will cost me 1k exactly and 2k for my pionner head unit... oh weoz sound dendening or wateva is just lyk to stop the rattle right?? i think... omg

so hard just for a sound system may ill just get a head unit...... :unsure:

Why double din?? Does it have a screen or something??

$500 would net you quite a decent HU. $300 for splits and $200 for soundening and wires etc. If you DIY, its a great way to start. I cannot stress enough how important sound deadening, $300 splits + sound deadening would outperform a set that cost three times as much without sound deadening. I would stay away from JL cause they are over due for an update.

Edited by Suprathai

its a doubledin dvd 7" touchscreen and its balck?! i like it!! >.< sound dending what again?

steve, john man >.< no way im putting more then 1 sub in my car too much weight my car is heavy as it is :ph34r::lol:

put those 2 12s in and run me again .. i might have a chance lol :D

Go all Alpine ..

2 X 12 Type R subwoofer..

2 v12 amps

alpine slips and speakers ..

garranty i can hear u from my house.

I bet my Rainbows are better than any splits Alpine make. Which brings me to my first point; why stick with one brand? It's ludicrous.

And dude, seriously, if you're that worried about weight, maybe you should get a single-din source unit to save another 150g. :P If you want DVD then yeah, double-din is the way to go for sure.

Buy the source, then the sound deadening, then splits and an amp. Front stage is the most important; the rest can come later when you save more money.

Sound deadening not only stop rattles, it improves the mid-bass. Just like a subwoofer, the box must be rigid and will not vibrate to ensure best sound. In mid bass case, the door is the box - which will vibrate without the aid of sound deadening, wood pdf spacers and some of those foaming thing around the spacers.

Seems to me, you are aiming "just loud" audio set up. Which shouldn't be hard to do.

you want it in SPL(BANG audio) or sound quality? in the SPL, you only need to buy good subs, good sound deadening and cheap high RMS amp(like jay car). in SQ, you need to start from headunit, speaker, amp and subwoofer.

as you mention, you have pioneer head unit (please list the model cos it would influence your sound system). predict your head unit is average, i suggest you to spend 800-1000 on speaker, 600 on amp to run your speaker. they play the most of your system. then you have 1500 on subs and sub amp. you may use 300-450 for sub and 500 for sub amp. rest of the budget you can use it on sound deadening and cabling.

speaker: phass, morel(same as dynaudio in my opinion), boston and eton.

speaker amp: phass, crossfire and JL audio(slash series). if you can add bit more budget on it, go for tube driver. best amp to play in SQ.

sub only DD or JL audio.

sub amp DD and JL audio.

1 4channel amp (can give you extra power to run your rear stcok speaker as rear fill) and 1 mono amp would do the job in your case.

TRD

That's right. Headout to the Audio show this Saturday and experience for yourself the differences between SPL and SQ and see which one you prefer. It's very difficult to demo the difference in an audio store and the sound just isnt the same compared to when in a car. Alarm is deffinately a must. It has saved my system from being stolen numerous times ;)

Oh and also, there will be plenty of Alpine and JL Audio cars there too ;)

• 4 weeks later...

ok hi ALL again!!? its time one of my frens is selling his audio gear and want to know wat u guys think?

here goes his got

an

alpine typeR sub *dual coil* or somthing lyk that he said

alpine splits

alpine sub 800w monoblock or somthing lyk that

for $750 installed for me also??

wat u guys think??

Cheers Steve,

ok hi ALL again!!? its time one of my frens is selling his audio gear and want to know wat u guys think?

here goes his got

an

alpine typeR sub *dual coil* or somthing lyk that he said

alpine splits

alpine sub 800w monoblock or somthing lyk that

for $750 installed for me also??

wat u guys think??

Cheers Steve,

Buy it dude the amp alone is worth more than the price he's asking (I'm pretty sure) let alone the sub and installation