V-power

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you guys keep saying that a particular fuel is crap, what have you got to support this? Busted valves, blocked fuel lines, poor dyno readings????

You can't keep bagging stuff without saying why.

This thread is about V-Power, not bagging everyone elses products (especially without more detail)....

As for their plant's closing down, all I will say is that there is no problmes with supply of any Shell Fuels here in Brisbane, which means that whoever it was that said that ALL FUELS COME FROM GEELONG (or whatever) prolly has no real knowlege of the fuel industry....

V-Power Racing, yes, is 100RON with a E5 Blend. I like the Ethanol blend. And as for the price, well, I am now averaging nearly 100km per tank extra since using V-Power Racing doing my normal day to day driving. Works out probably an extra $5.00 per tank (when filling from empty to full).

Here's some math...

55 Litres of V-Power Racing at average Brisbane Pump Price of $1.30 = $74.25 which equates to 11.5 cents per kilometer as I average around 650 km from each tank. (630 - 670 range)

55 Litres of V-Power at average Brisbane Pump Price of $1.28 = $67.65 which equates to 10.4 cents per kilometer as I use to average around 500 km from each tank. (480 - 520 range)

At 10.4 cents per kilometer for the V-Power, to do the extra 150 kilometers would cost approx $15.60 whereasthe difference in the upfront price of the fuel to fill the car was only $6.60. This equates to a saving per tank of approx $9.00 per tank....

$9.00 per tank might not mean much to some of you guys with deep pockets, but over the year, at approx 1 tank per week, this is around $460 odd.....if you dont want to save this money, then feel free to use V-Power and sling your $9.00 to me each week (I'll PM you my account details.....you can set up a regular weekly transfer if you like... :P

(So what are you going to spend your $9.00 per week on????)

I'm not trying to push people into using the fuel, what I am trying to do is to demonstrate that for me, I have calculated this little saving which works for me. Everyone needs savings in their lives so they can afford the things they want, and this is one that I use.

Someone mentioned testing conditions for fuel economy and how you can't correctly measure the economy...my response is that my results are in our pockets each week when we do our budgets... Thanks to savings like this and using fuel dockets etc, this is how we are able to buy our big TV's, fancy leather lounges and custom made furniture....

At the end of the day though, each to their own....it's up to you what you want to spend your money on....

Good Luck....

Cheers

Aaron

As a Caltex employee, i only use the 98 man, don't mess around with the Vortex Gold, load of rubbish.. its a mixture of 95-98.

Thats crap - Vortex Gold has been around for a lot longer than any of the 98 octane fuels, it was the original Premium Unleaded (if any one else remembers, Australia used to only get 95 octane till pretty recently) Vortex Gold is a pure 95 Octane fuel, and is quite good for most vehicles, not for the sportivo, but still, any normal car, it would be a waste to run it on 98, stick with the 95. Any before you ask, no im not a caltex employee im a caltex franchisee.

And thanks Azza!! Finally someone with sense. everyone keeps saying that their car runs great on this and bad on that and blah blah blah. Wow. who cares. If i run my car on Caltex for 2 years and then chuck some shell in of course im gonna feel a difference. I even feel a difference with different batches of Vortex 98. How do you know your getting the same fuel? How do you know that the fuel your getting is even 98 RON? i'll also add the the whole octane RON business is pretty much a marketing gimmick as well, the real info you want is not the Research Octane Level, its the MON, or Motor Octane Level. Its all when and good to have it researched at a certian level but wouldnt you prefer to know how it is running in your engine?

And also, again i'll throw this in - IF you owned a Petrol Station and you ordered your delivery load (60,000 litres) and you found you ordered too quick, and not all of it will fit, what would you do with it? You can't send it back as you have already paid for it. Where do you put it???

I can tell you where most people put it. But im not sure you want to know.

As a Caltex employee, i only use the 98 man, don't mess around with the Vortex Gold, load of rubbish.. its a mixture of 95-98.

Thats crap - Vortex Gold has been around for a lot longer than any of the 98 octane fuels, it was the original Premium Unleaded (if any one else remembers, Australia used to only get 95 octane till pretty recently) Vortex Gold is a pure 95 Octane fuel, and is quite good for most vehicles, not for the sportivo, but still, any normal car, it would be a waste to run it on 98, stick with the 95. Any before you ask, no im not a caltex employee im a caltex franchisee.

And thanks Azza!! Finally someone with sense. everyone keeps saying that their car runs great on this and bad on that and blah blah blah. Wow. who cares. If i run my car on Caltex for 2 years and then chuck some shell in of course im gonna feel a difference. I even feel a difference with different batches of Vortex 98. How do you know your getting the same fuel? How do you know that the fuel your getting is even 98 RON? i'll also add the the whole octane RON business is pretty much a marketing gimmick as well, the real info you want is not the Research Octane Level, its the MON, or Motor Octane Level. Its all when and good to have it researched at a certian level but wouldnt you prefer to know how it is running in your engine?

And also, again i'll throw this in - IF you owned a Petrol Station and you ordered your delivery load (60,000 litres) and you found you ordered too quick, and not all of it will fit, what would you do with it? You can't send it back as you have already paid for it. Where do you put it???

Well i work with Caltex Starshop (Caltex Francise) i asked my site manager again, he said the real figures were between 95-97, really a marketing gimmick like you mentioned. I don't want to get into who knows better than who. That's just what I was told while working there for 3 years.

Also nice post Azza, good to see you sat down and worked out the best for you. I had a quick question, I was told if your car isn't tuned for a certain type of petrol or octane level. There really wouldn't be any difference in the k's and performance you get from the fuel. Is this true? or a load of crap?

Also nice post Azza, good to see you sat down and worked out the best for you. I had a quick question, I was told if your car isn't tuned for a certain type of petrol or octane level. There really wouldn't be any difference in the k's and performance you get from the fuel. Is this true? or a load of crap?

Obviously a load of crap. When I first changed from Optimax to Optimax Extreme (98RON to 100RON) I just did an ECU reset. Some cars maybe be different and not notice it.

Well i work with Caltex Starshop (Caltex Francise) i asked my site manager again, he said the real figures were between 95-97, really a marketing gimmick like you mentioned. I don't want to get into who knows better than who. That's just what I was told while working there for 3 years.

Well your boss is exactly right.... the octane rating is never the same - hence my post about u dont know what u are getting. Both the 95 and 98 are specified as minimum octane levels. Caltex comes and tests on site every 3 months or so, and every time the figures are above what is the minimum. Best i've seen is 98.9 Octane for Vortex 98 and 96.5 for Vortex 95. the 95 is not a mixture at all, it just depends on the quality and how well they refined it, each batch will always be different.

I got a more general question.

Is it better to stay on the same brand of fuel? or it doesnt really matter i use different brands (same octane) week in week out (pending on price)

The reason i ask is that sometimes i "feel" theres more power/throttle response when i put in fuel thats different to the one in the tank; compared to when im consistant with a particular brand.

Hmmmm........Just watching from that You tube video. He states that...

"Now all new petrol cars sold in the UK must be capable on running normal unleaded which has an octane rating of 95"

So does that mean their regular unleaded petrol has a octane rating of 95?? Or is this guy sniffing the stuff too much??

I could google, but I'm lazy.

I put some V-Power racing on the weekend so its too early to say how the economy is. I have noticed that the car sounds a little more throaty on first start up, other than that, i cant say that there is much of a noticable power increase. I guys i will see how many kms i get whether the extra 10c a litre is justified.

I dunno whether it is coincidence or not, but since my car has been on the V-Power Racing, I get a semi-intake suck noise when I shut the car down, and I don't have CAI....

Like I said, coincidence???maybe....

I dunno whether it is coincidence or not, but since my car has been on the V-Power Racing, I get a semi-intake suck noise when I shut the car down, and I don't have CAI....

Like I said, coincidence???maybe....

Azza, even with the stock filter and box you do still get some sucking noise on shutdown.

Yeah, but not as much....it's actually to a point where often my wife will ask if I have done something different to the car.

It is considerably longer than it used to be, as I was saying, it may be a coincidence...

don't believe this has been covered in this thread, is it true V-power and other higher octane fuels damage injectors/engine on cars which have not been tuned for this type of fuel?

i.e. i use v-power or whatever high octane fuel i can get my hands on all the time but only drive a conquest and not a sportivo

cheers