Brake pads on a budget

VVTLiR

OK I have pretty much no pads left, but really dont have any cash left after purchasing my coilovers so at this stage I have to settle for standard pads. So far here is what I have found.

Bendix CT - $86 bux from repco

OEM Toyota - $72 bux from Toyota

Now my Toyota Pads have been grinding since about 10K so I am a little hesitant to get them, but they are OEM and are designed for the car. Now I haven't had any experiance with the Bendix CT, but from their catalogue they sound pretty good.

http://www.bendix.com.au/Text/112866309599...784022-5334.pdf

So any advice?

This is one area that you DO want to spend money, and not be on a "budget" <_< . You're dealing with your life here, not to mention others around you. The better quality brake pad you buy, the longer it may last as well. One thing is for sure, spending an extra $20-$30 per set would be priceless, and the right move to make. Its funny that people will spend huge amounts of $$ on bling crap (aka alloys, stickers, bodykits, coilovers), but not on safety. Anyway EBC gets my vote (green stuff), they last longer than regular brake pads and are better quality, thats why they are on my stivo.

All the best with your decision.

Agreed with Omni1potent - Brakes on a budget :ph34r: With the coil overs installed, u'd want to go a little harder and faster, so go with the pads that the budget can best afford or drive 'economically' until u can :)

Be safe, merry and responsible *within moderation* :yahoo:

I have RDA slotted fronts and i have them mated with EBC Black Stuff - they do the job fine for daily driving and even for a track day. I think the black stuff were 80 odd? Much recommended for daily application with some spirited driving

Edited by RME1

Again re-enforcing what the guys have said .... these are the things that are going to stop u from crashing ...... recommendation Ferodo DS2500's ..... $250 - $350 a pop

Well I'm planning to upgrade my calipers and rotors later so there is no point spending big bux at the moment. Its not like i'm buying cheap crap, just pretty much what comes out stock on the stivo and most passenger car in aus. New brakes will be better than no brakes. Plus EBC and most performance pads can chew up your pads, grind/squeek, take a while to warm up and have much more brake dust. Its not a track car, its a street set-up (with street coil overs which are actually pretty comfy). So i'm looking for advice on good pads for daily driving. So please provide usefull comments for the above or don't at all.

Anyway, The best bendix sell for our cars is apparnely the CTs (with excption of heavy duty), which I understand a slightly better than the advance, however i was advised against heavy duty with regards to the amount of metal. Ferrodo, has any1 got any part numbers and suppliers.

Edited by VVTLiR

Weve no problem with ebc greens,its a kevlar type pad so it shouldnt squeal nor give huge amouts of brake dust like the ferodos excels or the bendix for these a mainly semi metallic composite( the cts are a economy pad i suggest not using these at all if u are still wanting to use bendix at least use the Advance or the Heavy duty series)even on a track day to the drive home ive never had any problems

u pay for what u get,invest a lil ,never skint on safety esp brakes.good luck on ur decision

Hey the stock pads are pretty good, and last really long and are made in japan.

Mekong spares at canely vale you can get them for 68 dollars.

Plus they have Japan made toyota oil filters for around 15 bucks

Edited by grimlock

This is not entirely correct. I got my EBC green stuff for street use. EBC red stuff is for track use. You can get EBC black stuff which is OEM replacement. I have no squeeling or grinding noises from my EBC green stuff. In addition they do not require warming up and do not have additional brake dust from normal pads, actually they produce less dust from standard. That why i bought these. Check prices and you may find them suprisingly well priced.

Well ive got the greenstuff too (Omn1potent here convinced me they were good), and well they are good :)

Im happy with them.

My only issue is that they are more dusty than the jap OEM pads from toyota, however in comparison to other european made pads they are pretty clean.

Still my wheels are covered in brake dust, at the 2 week mark they look like a nice gun metal grey, after 4 weeks they look crap and i know its time for a wash :P

Hey the stock pads are pretty good, and last really long and are made in japan.

Mekong spares at canely vale you can get them for 68 dollars.

Plus they have Japan made toyota oil filters for around 15 bucks

Hey are these filters genuine ones (or are they fakes?) Any idea?

Are the pads the same for all zze12# corollas?? Reason being is that I'm pretty happy with the pads that came with my conquest. I just got my fronts replaced at 80K, and still have around 50% on the rears!!

Nope :) the Sportivo ones are different to the 1ZZ models.

You'll find you get great economy out of rear tyres and rear brake pads compared to the fronts for obvious reasons (basic physics, brake bias, FWD). Economy is another reason to love your Corolla!!! :D

Go give it a hug!

I just discovered something called tire noise. Its bloody noisy if you ask me, I just swapped over the rims from the conquest to the sportivo. Most of the sound was gone, initially I thought it was a bearing problem. But it turns out its tire noise LOL. Another thing that I've noticed is that the wheel arcs on the conquest have some sort of bitumen/asphalt base sound deadening........whereas the sportivo has none whatsoever!!

Time to get some from supercheap auto!!

One thing though is that I have a squeky rear end, I think its either the sway bar or the hub and disc brakes need some copious amounts of copper grease.