My Recall Rework is happening tomorrow..

I just got contacted by my dealer.. We have a really good relationship so I expected the call pre the letter getting to my place.. He has the recall parts sitting on his desk ready to install for me tomorrow.. Be interesting to see the results... I will post on the outcome as soon as the stuff is in... :)

why are people removing the cai for the recall work??, if it is TRD it is covered under warranty and a toyota partif it is another brand it should not matter as you own the car. I don't think taking it off will do any difference and they will tune the new chip exactly the same. just get the new air box cap thrown in the boot, i think peekay had the right idea and is just going to swap them old for new and get them to put it on the back seat.

at the end of the day i don't think toyota are going to think badly if you have the CAI or other mods.

my opinion only. if any one has heard of toyota not going to do the recall work with engines that have up grades please tell me.

Well inregards if u have trd or other brands.. the car wont be under warranty... well thats what i have been told by toyota (trd r made for jap spec cars not aus cars). Now in regards to the recall I have heard 2 stories.

1) if u have already got a cai (doesnt matter which brand), it will be removed and the new airtake will be added as well as the rest (ecu, cable selector etc). Because the car must leave toyota under warranty.

2) if u have already got a cai on board they will leave it and just add the other components.

It all depends upto your service provider. So far i know Lane toyota will follow (1) and nadaw will follow (2).

cheers.

in respect to TRD parts it is toyota so it is covered by warranty - not effecting you new car warranty. the parts are covered for 1 year and if installed before delievery for the life of the cars warranty. The TRD parts most made for our cars are designed and developed in USA, both myself and mikesportivo03 have discussed this with toyota australia at length, i discussed it when the rep from customer information who rang me to confirm i was happy with my warranty work as i have complained a few times, re: gear select and ecu etc.

there is no need to take them off. I think if they take the CAI off they will be re installing it for free the minute their warranty service is over.

no offence to any one intended. I hope toyota are smart about this work.

If Toyota removes you CAI then they are breaching your legal rights. This recall is for a fault/mistake which has occurred in production of the vehicle.

Under Australian law they must rectify this to bring the vehicles back within the ADR regulations the cars were tested to. Nothing done to the car can stop this from happening as no works performed to the said cars caused this fault. It was a manufacturing error carried out by Toyota!

If you had a warranty issue which a modified part may have contributed to then Toyota has legal grounds to object.

The Service managers who insist the cai be removed are to put it simply "D!cks". In my experience, and if you ask many people in the car industry most Service Managers are not really up to the job they perform.

The friend of mine that manages a Toyota dealer recently had to advertise for a new service manager and was bitterly disapointed with the applicants. Not one respondent met 50% of his base criteria but was forced to appoint one of them as the position desperatly needed to be filled. Now he has the headache of trying to force this guy up to spead and to perform at what he deems an exceptable level.

Well its done.. And my first impressions.. Well dont expect any Rocket ship.. What you get is much improved feel in the 4500 - 6000 Rpm range.. Definitely a little more peak power but as we were told by our SA buddies not tyrefrying at all...

The revised Air Box lid looks exactly the same as the one it came off the production line with.. The difference I see is in the design of the intake exit covers.. For those that havent seen inside their Airbox the is a white tube that covers the exit from the airbox internally.. In standard form the tube has a grided arrangement.. The revised part has the grid removed and a centre divider put in its place.. I guess you will understand more when you see it for yourself... I dont have my digital camera handy so I cant take any pics atm..

But this is the biggy... !!! :o They put the new and revised shifter cables in also with the new design heavier shift knob.. Now this is what really makes me happy, the shifter rattle is completely gone and the shift is now a whole heap more positive.. The best mod so far IMO... :)

So make sure when you get your recall letters you ask for both mods to be done.. The Ecu and Lid and the ****er mods...

Cheers,

Matt

Well its done.. And my first impressions.. Well dont expect any Rocket ship.. What you get is much improved feel in the 4500 - 6000 Rpm range.. Definitely a little more peak power but as we were told by our SA buddies not tyrefrying at all...

The revised Air Box lid looks exactly the same as the one it came off the production line with.. The difference I see is in the design of the intake exit covers.. For those that havent seen inside their Airbox the is a white tube that covers the exit from the airbox internally.. In standard form the tube has a grided arrangement.. The revised part has the grid removed and a centre divider put in its place.. I guess you will understand more when you see it for yourself... I dont have my digital camera handy so I cant take any pics atm..

But this is the biggy... !!! :o They put the new and revised shifter cables in also with the new design heavier shift knob.. Now this is what really makes me happy, the shifter rattle is completely gone and the shift is now a whole heap more positive.. The best mod so far IMO... :)

So make sure when you get your recall letters you ask for both mods to be done.. The Ecu and Lid and the ****er mods...

Cheers,

Matt

Nice to see that you guys are getting your upgradesw now.

Give the ECU between 200km and 500km to "settle in" as it measures certain parameters within the first few warm up cycles. Driving style seems to be important during this period (I can't say why, but take it from me - it makes a difference). So teach that ECU some manners and have lots of fun filled kilometers :lol:

Cheers,

Matt

Did you have your car dynoed? And also did the new cable and gearknob solve the shifting problem? Thanks in advance.

Zee

i really like the current gear knob.

do they let ya keep the original gear knob? Or do they take it back and then give you a new one?

if they're going to take the original back..i think i'm going to have to purchase a cheap gear knob..so they can't take it off me.

:D