Gear selector Cable

One thing that seems to be aparent in the talk of the recent recall, is that alot of dealers have not heard anything about the gear selector cables that can/are to be replaced along with the ECU and air cap.

If anyone (esp. the WA boys) could supply the rest of us with the part number for the cable. That would be greatly appreciated, and also stop alot of us ripping our hair out from niave and or stupid toyota service reps.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that the gear selector cable issue was a different thing altogether, it is not part of this recall but something for those of you that have mentioned previously to toyota of this rattling cable problem occuring in YOUR car, as not all cars seem to be affected by this for one reason or another.

Sorry I worded that a little wrong.

Yes you are right Blue, in that its NOT part of the recall but alot of people are trying to get the cables done at the same time to save time and effort.

'Hence' my original question :)

Sorry I worded that a little wrong.

Yes you are right Blue, in that its NOT part of the recall but alot of people are trying to get the cables done at the same time to save time and effort.

'Hence' my original question :)

That's alright Danthuyer, there has just been so much talk of the recall, and of the cable issue that I just wanted to clarify the point that they are seperate issues, I agree entirely that a part number would be great, and would help those in need greatly if someone knew it....

Cheers

Ooops thought you already had the gumph.. Will have a chat wid the folks today if I get the time...

Part 2:

Well spoke with the lads this morning.. Wouldnt give me the part numbers either.. :angry: But they said if your dealer is unsure about any parts, especially the Gear Selector upgrade then you should ask your dealer to call him direct.. I thought ***** hes going to get a heap of calls.. Anyways my dealer is:

Galleria Toyota.. Morley WA..

SERVICE:

9262 8899

service@galleriatoyota.com.au

PARTS:

9262 8800

parts@galleriatoyota.com.au

Just one quick question RE Lift. Is it the common thing that if you try to hit lift too soon before the car is warm it just won't hit it and just seems to miss at around 5-6k rpm. Just came home from Skirmish and when i got back on the road gave it some in first... done it... thought 'hmmm strange' changed to second... tried to hit lift.... same. Anyways... let it warm up a bit and hey presto... going sweet. I'm sure there is a good reason for why this is so... but i don't fully understand the mechanics of it all.. so atm i'm just assuming it has to do with warming the car up first.

Oil temp needs to be 70+ Deg Celcius if my memory serves me correct before it can reroute the oil and engauge the lift mechanism.

So hence why if you go too hard too early all you get to is the 5-6K RPM the same thing happens when you are in neutral and rev the engine. It will not engauge lift at all and will bounce at 6K RPM i think.

I have given up they still don't know whats going on. I have ordered the TOMS flywheel and Clutch. Alot of the Yanks have had this problem as well and the clutch has fixed the problem with gear changes.

Are you getting it through Bruce Peekay and how much is it advertised? I saving up for a clutch & flywheel combo too.

Zee

Yes I am getting it through Bruce. You will have to ring him re the cost with the dollar going up and down so much it depends on that. The Toms unit is Chrome molly whilst suposed to better constructed that the TRD unit (steel). And is slightly lighter.

Toms Flywheel 3.8 Kg (on left) Trd Flywheel 4.4 Kg (on right)

Thought i'd pass on some info i received today RE the Selector cables and why some people may be having issues tracing them down. I spoke to a guy at Stewart Toyota in Sutherland (who also had someone else getting him to trace the part down) and he got back to me and said that Toyota still haven't released the parts as yet, although they were planning on doing so VERY SOON (he said September 1st but to give dealers a week or so to get the parts in). He also mentioned that the cables had already been installed on a few cars as a trial to make sure they were working which he said had been a success. (so i'm assuming those of you who have the mod were lucky to be involved in the 'trial').

Finally, as mentioned above, he mentioned that the parts would only be available to cars which were confirmed to have had the rattle, otherwise there would be people receiving limited stocks who didn't need it delaying those of us who do need it. So i'm sure they will be needing to take your car for a drive and really test how bad the noise is etc etc.

So yeah... thats my info... he pretty much told me to call back in a week and they should have the parts.

Handy info to have Stewart and I have complained so hopefully they will be done. My rolla and his are going in to get the new clutch and Pressure plate on the 16th.

I have also ordered a new thrust bearing for both of us.

the new gear selector cable fix really smoothed out all transitions for me, its like a new gear box! :D very nice to drive :lol:

the stick is tighter now, the old one was starting to get flimsy and loose not to mention notchy.

...and the best thing is, NO RATTLES :D

along with the recall, the car feels very smooooooth B)

So how many people have actually got the new cables and gear knob???

As I have numerous times called my dealer for information on this issue. He finally called Matt's dealer (thx for the number btw) on which he comes back to me with

"The gear selector cables that you are talking about are not a 'fix' for the issue and have not been released by Toyota officaily" " There fore we wont be getting it done for you!"

If this is the case then how come people here in the Forum and coming back with positive results?? Where are toyota getting these so called ' no resolve' comments from...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :angry:

the 'Fix' is still in it's trial stage, I guess those that have had it done need to monitor and see what happens in the next few months before they (Toyota) can say if the fix actually works or if it is just a temporary solution to a larger problem...