follow on from the manifold thread

i have been following the TRD vs thread with great interest..........

i would never have thought to mod the stock manifold and was surprised to see how inefficient it is. I have hopefully sourced a second-hand stock manifold with the view of porting it. I have a pro compressor which is more than upto the task - but what sort of grinding/deburring equipment do you recommend, not necessarily makes but more specs and grades of grinding equipment and any techniques or problems you may have come up against.

i see that the manifolds are then heat treated - would heat wrap work as well?

Any advice, hints or suggestions is very appreciated

Edited by AE102

They are usually heat treated so that the exhaust gas temperature is higher, thus evacuating the manifold faster.

I'm not sure what shape burr is needed, but you will need something from the Tungsten Carbide section.

heat wrap works well, just have to apply it properly. If you want to get the manifold coated then Competition Coatings in QLD charge $180 to coat 4cyl short manifolds http://www.competitioncoatings.com.au . HPC no longer have a QLD office and are now in Vic.

The bullet shaped tungsten carbide burrs work very well for porting the manifold, takes about 20-30 minutes in total.

You can finish it off with a 60grit flap wheel to suit the die grinder you're using.

I use a makita electric die grinder, much easier on the ears than the pnuematic ones. The US/AUS made carbide burrs work a hell of a lot better than the China-made stuff. The china stuff is ok for alloy with alloy cutting fluid.

Take note that the port size in the head isn't as large as the port hole in the exhaust gasket, dont port the header out to the size of the exhaust gasket. You can port the header out a little larger than the port in the head which will assist in avoiding port reversion of the exhaust gas.

The port diameter size is smaller? is this at room temp? ie it shrinks slightly with heat or the cylinder head/exhaust manifold adjusts with heat ?

Would these modifications to a standard manifold gain same or similar results to an after market one?

Thanks for the replies so far. sorry for my late response but i've been on the road all week.

rollamods i gather you know a bit about this. i was talking to my mate who's a biker and he always mods his gaskets to fit perfect so they cant cause any restriction. i'm not sure why you say not to match the size of header port to the size of the gasket........ can you shed some more light on the subject?

if you match the header port to the size of the hole in the gasket, you will have a 5mm step from the port of the head to the edge of the header all around...

did a quick representation in solidworks to illustrate the point...

The pic shows the difference in port sizes if you port the headers out to match the gasket... the headers will end up MUCH larger than the head port...

assem1.jpg

Edited by rollamods

:idea: - it all becomes clear! Nice one rollamods, Top man.

will let you know how i get on. I sourced a manifold but the fella let me down so will have to source another, shouldnt be too much trouble.

Edited by AE102

i have been following the TRD vs thread with great interest..........

i would never have thought to mod the stock manifold and was surprised to see how inefficient it is. I have hopefully sourced a second-hand stock manifold with the view of porting it. I have a pro compressor which is more than upto the task - but what sort of grinding/deburring equipment do you recommend, not necessarily makes but more specs and grades of grinding equipment and any techniques or problems you may have come up against.

i see that the manifolds are then heat treated - would heat wrap work as well?

Any advice, hints or suggestions is very appreciated

:idea: - it all becomes clear! Nice one rollamods, Top man.

will let you know how i get on. I sourced a manifold but the fella let me down so will have to source another, shouldnt be too much trouble.

Glad i got someone's head ticking ..... ;)

picked up a manifold today - the fella got back in touch after i emailed him again.

Where's the original thread gone?

Edited by AE102

Sorry to hijack this thread but, does anyone know of any exhaust stores in Perth that will port and polish the stock extractors?

there is no need to have them polished just ported. there certainly is no benefit of this being done. just get them ported and then sanded smooth and it will work just fine.

If you can't find anyone to do it call CES and see what postage would be. there is also a group buy on CES headers atm. check out group buys section for more info.

picked up a manifold today - the fella got back in touch after i emailed him again.

yeah....

where has it gone ???? hhhmmmmm

deleted i guess ....

oh well, good luck in all that ...........

yeah....

where has it gone ???? hhhmmmmm

deleted i guess ....

oh well, good luck in all that ...........

dont know why it would be deleted - its fairly obvious when you look at the manifold where its inefficiencies are.

i remember seeing a post of superdave saying about porting the throttlebody?

also i'm thinking of buying a inlet manifold - any gains to be had? but i'm thinking to increase the internal diameter of the throttlebody will require a visit to an engineering shop?and what about the butterfly? and i suppose the same with the part of the manifold that the throttlebody connects to?

modifying the throttle body and inlet manifold would only yield good gains with some more internal work. throttle body is already a good size and the inlet ports on the head and manifold are quite large too. don't waste your money on something like this if you aren't going to change cams and do other internal work to make more power.

modifying the throttle body and inlet manifold would only yield good gains with some more internal work. throttle body is already a good size and the inlet ports on the head and manifold are quite large too. don't waste your money on something like this if you aren't going to change cams and do other internal work to make more power.

where not talking a lot of money - i got the exhaust manifold for around $80 your money and i can get the inlet and throttleboby for around $140.........

cams are something i have been thinking about, the only ones i know of for the 2zz-ge are Piper cams - they claim to improve low down torque and give a few more ponies at the top end, they have a dyno chart on there website. If anyone has tried these i would be interested to hear or if you are running differnt cams your reviews are wanted!!

where not talking a lot of money - i got the exhaust manifold for around $80 your money and i can get the inlet and throttleboby for around $140.........

cams are something i have been thinking about, the only ones i know of for the 2zz-ge are Piper cams - they claim to improve low down torque and give a few more ponies at the top end, they have a dyno chart on there website. If anyone has tried these i would be interested to hear or if you are running differnt cams your reviews are wanted!!

i'm not talking about money but moreso about time and effort for work that mighten yield a lot of gains without other additional mods. Superdave is currently looking into cams here in Brisbane through a guy i know. He is a guru and is doing some R&D on cams for the 2ZZ

i'm not talking about money but moreso about time and effort for work that mighten yield a lot of gains without other additional mods. Superdave is currently looking into cams here in Brisbane through a guy i know. He is a guru and is doing some R&D on cams for the 2ZZ

keen too see the results..............

dont mind wasting a bit of time playing with me toys! i can see your point - inlet are cast and dont have the lips but while i can get them at a good price of a decent seller................... no harm in trying? was hoping someone had done similar.............