Lowering - Aurion SX6

Stealth

Hey all, this topic has been talked about here and there on different threads. I thought it would be good to have a dedicated thread covering how and with what equipment people lowered their cars.

Some say Pedders, i like the idea of King springs.

Love to hear your opinions, results, complaints, problems etc.

I still have my factory 17's on but plan to upgrade to 245/35R19 after the car has been dropped. By dropped i mean a standard 30 - 35mm drop.

I'm in Perth and have already had a quote to have King Springs put in at Wilkinson Suspension Centre. I then read on another thread that the King Springs make the back of the car sit lower than the front. Now i'm not sure what to do... People say shocks need doing too?

Resident expert - DJKOR take it away... :toast: (please)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LoL...DJ must be proud..

I got my dad came for holiday in the last couple of weeks. I got him to drive my car [ended up with light to medium scratches here and there] :( . Anw, I installed Pedders Sport, and he said the spring is too soft... I lowered it low enough that i can't even hold full passengers. Well, I can but it always scrubs on bumpy roads.

Don't know what u guys reckon...But he's not happy with it..I reckon it's ok, coz it's always been for 1-2 passengers drive.. :lol:

I know I may seem to know quite a bit, but I think a lot of that comes down to knowlege others can find if you look hard enough; it's just that I like the job of researching. Anyways, I can't really make a comparisson between King and Pedders mainly because I have only had experience with one. I had Kings in my old 91 Camry, but I wasn't after anything special so I didn't pay much attention to any sagging or whatnot. That car always seemed to sit higher on the rear end anyways. The ride quality was alright; don't know what I was meant to expect from it whether good or bad. Interestingly enough, sSEXSIX has asked the same question and there are some answers over here:

Kings or Pedders??

As for the sagging in the rear on any springs, you can look into getting urethane cushions like shown below. This will make the ride slightly less smooth, but they help.

dsc00166ic2.jpg

dsc00165vs4.jpg

Yeh im having the same dilemma atm too...pedders are allright but they seem to sit alot higher at the back then the front which i dont really fancy...i think ill go kings but do you no what the drop is? ive heard alot off differant numbers...Im goin to do some serious searching soon to see if i can get some coil overs or somthin from overseas, cos i no that the thai camrys (which are aurions) most of them put tien super streets on them but they dont supply them to australia yet. so i think a bit of looking around is needed because i dont think that 30 mills is gonna satisfy.

Ive got pedders sports and they are fine.

I did have scrubbing but my tyre was too big, went down from 35 to 30's and now its great. Oh yeah im running on 20's. No rubbing at all now.

When i was choosing my springs i had the same question pedders or kings. I reckon i read every comment on this forum on suspension. Overall i found that people with 20's and pedders were happy. But there were problems here and there with guys on 20's with kings. I remember someone saying that kings dont sit right, and another had scrubbing.

If you have 19's though i dont think you will have a problem either way. 19's are that much smaller that you would need a family of heefa's to make it scrub.

Although i found when you speak to fulcrum suspension (major coy that does king springs), they are so professional and knowledgeable. And guys usually at pedders are - wham bam thankyou mam- in and out on your way. In this case i didnt need any thing special being done, just lowered, so pedders was my man.

I just wanted a product that wouldnt give me grief. When i got grief, it actually wasnt pedders fault, (sorry about the blasting pedders), it was the rim and tyre supplier fault, who happily fixed my problem. As 35's end up being over the overall legal diametre anyways.

So from my experience, im happy with pedders.

i got pedders in mine with 18's and rubber is 235/40/18 which i had fitted bout a week ago i also had the camber and toe checked all round which was out on the rear and front and it only got done about 3 months ago thru ozzy tyres when i had this done my tyres which were 235/35/18 were half worn and in 3 months they were flogged to the point were canvas was thru one rear across the whole tyre so i aint go back there again but besides that the new tyres arent scrubbing and thats with a trailer on with my quad aboard also take a few adults into town from time to time and it dont scrub anymore probally due to the camber/toe being set right now.

i feel that for me the springs arent to soft and soak up the general road bumps etc pretty good and it also sits pretty level too.

all up mine sits 42mm lower than standard with the standard wheel tyre combo and thats with 20,000kms on the springs

cant say what kings are like havent had them in any off my cars but im not complaining for a $600 cost

p.s. standard shocks as well

I have kings in my wagon. I would not get them again, as the drivers side springs sit higher than passangers (to allow for when drivver is in car or something). Are the pedders the same?? Has anyone else with king springs noticed this??

Edited by SQU-47N

Well, sounds like there's a bit of a Pedders fan club happening. I had King springs in one of my previous cars and i couldn't fault them.

I guess my next question is, are the urethane cushions worth while? Does anyone else use them?

I also found out you can get a castor kit (for FWD cars) to stop the rear of the car dropping under hard acceleration. The kit helps keep the weight bias toward the front. Sounds great but what happens under heavy braking? Don't answer that, i'll ask the supplier myself...

Anyone else had any camber issues?

Edited by Stealth

i went with Pedders, i have had no dramas at all, and the drop was around 42-45mm. The handling/cornering is alot better than the standard suspension, I am only running the standard 17's.

mate u reckon shes got good handling with the standard wheels u wanna get yaself a wider lower profile setup i had to run my standard wheels for a bit until i could afford new ones and it was like a boat compared to the 18'' setup i just got the new tyres the other day and slammed them back on the car and u buety shes on rails again :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

i went with Pedders, i have had no dramas at all, and the drop was around 42-45mm. The handling/cornering is alot better than the standard suspension, I am only running the standard 17's.

45mm drop.. You sure about that? Sounds good to me.

I've been told the Kings will only lower my car by around 35mm. An extra 10mm sounds like a bargain.

Speaking of which, would you mind telling me how much you paid? I went to Pedders after today work to get a price but they were closed already. I was quoted around $560 for the Kings.

So, with all these talk about different springs etc etc etc,

Does anyone know what the stock spring rates are on the Aurion? If the ATX is the same as the Sportivo etc?

If we do not know this, how do we know adding king spring, pedders blah blah will make any difference?

The Aurion is a tug boat anyway, even the TRDs, I'm just keeping mine stock, rocks the baby to sleep.....LOL.

So, with all these talk about different springs etc etc etc,

Does anyone know what the stock spring rates are on the Aurion? If the ATX is the same as the Sportivo etc?

If we do not know this, how do we know adding king spring, pedders blah blah will make any difference?

The Aurion is a tug boat anyway, even the TRDs, I'm just keeping mine stock, rocks the baby to sleep.....LOL.

Thanks for the help. Sounds like changing the suspension won't make any difference then eh?

I've been told the Kings will only lower my car by around 35mm. An extra 10mm sounds like a bargain.

Speaking of which, would you mind telling me how much you paid? I went to Pedders after today work to get a price but they were closed already. I was quoted around $560 for the Kings.

Anyway, I just got a quote from Pedders for $832. Seems a bit much to me.

Has anyone had any experience with Lovells springs. I've got a mate at a tyre shop that can do them for me for half the price of the King springs. I hear they're popular with the Fords.

I guess the point of the story is, if you're looking to lower your Aurion, there's a third option.

Anyway, I just got a quote from Pedders for $832. Seems a bit much to me.

Has anyone had any experience with Lovells springs. I've got a mate at a tyre shop that can do them for me for half the price of the King springs. I hear they're popular with the Fords.

I guess the point of the story is, if you're looking to lower your Aurion, there's a third option.

Maaaan that quote from pedders is toooooooooooooo high. Mine cost me me 645.00 total. Pedders at browns plains queensland, quote that to him. If i was you i would go back to him and ask him why - the exact same springs cost 200 dollars less at another pedders franchise. And what does he actually do, that is different from other pedders franchises. Different enough that will cost you a extra 200 bucks.

I think he is trying to take you for a ride dude. Put it back in his face and watch him tap dance.

I cant stand rip off merchants.

Edited by BONDIE

yeah man way to much i got my springs and camber bolts for $450 but i installed it all myself it only took bout 1 1/2 hrs to do but pedders back home only quoted me $600 for them to supply and do it

Well then, the breakdown was this:

2958 Sports Ryder Coil Spring $185.00

2959 Sports Ryder Coil Spring $185.00

Fitting $330.00

Wheel Alignment - 4 wheel $132.00

GST $75.64

Total $832.00

$132 for a wheel alignment??? :blink:

Fitting $330.00

GST $75.64

Total $832.00

ill check my bill and give you a breakdown so you can go back to them. ill get back to you tomorrow.

Fitting $330.00

GST $75.64

Total $832.00

Wowwwww....Ripp offf in action..

I did mine for around 500-600 with Pedders as well.. Can't remember the exact price..

But above 700 is not acceptable :angry:

$600 at Pedders for me.

Here's my break down dude,

front springs 175.00

rear springs 175.00

fitting 210.00

wheel alignment 90.00

total 650 buck out of my sky-rocket.

So far you have guys from brisbane, sydney, darwin, townsville, who got it done around the same price, which is a alot less than you got quoted.

Stand-up for yourself, go in there and ask him why is prices are so inflated, and how does he account for it. If nothing happens and he tells you to bugger off, atleast your said your piece. And if enough people tell him he's a rip-off merchant, maybe he will re-think his busines stradegy and bring his prices down to acceptable level.

Only the fittest will survive dude.

Edited by BONDIE

$600 at Pedders for me.

front springs 175.00

rear springs 175.00

fitting 210.00

wheel alignment 90.00

So far you have guys from brisbane, sydney, darwin, townsville, who got it done around the same price, which is a alot less than you got quoted.

Stand-up for yourself, go in there and ask him why is prices are so inflated, and how does he account for it. If nothing happens and he tells you to bugger off, atleast your said your piece. And if enough people tell him he's a rip-off merchant, maybe he will re-think his busines stradegy and bring his prices down to acceptable level.

True...And I reckon It's very unlikely for them to turn u out coz they know, they're tryin rippin u off...

Go there and give them pieces of our mind... :lol:

and whats the drop of them do you know?

$600 at Pedders for me.

front springs 175.00

rear springs 175.00

fitting 210.00

wheel alignment 90.00

geez browns plains are tempremental...i went there a few weeks back and i got quoted 720, and u got it for 650...hmmm <_<

$600 at Pedders for me.

front springs 175.00

rear springs 175.00

fitting 210.00

wheel alignment 90.00

geez browns plains are tempremental...i went there a few weeks back and i got quoted 720, and u got it for 650...hmmm <_<

Na f*ck that dude. Next time you go in, tell them they are full of sh*t and tell them you know the dude who drives the silver aurion, and you want it for the same price, 650. They know who i am, from when i had the rubbing problems. When you decide to get it done, i can give ya a photocopy of my invoice so ya can show them. But they should have it on file anyways.