TRD Aurion brake options

David the Viking

Here is some info from the research I have done for myself and also Ash (Secaboy). Please double check listed part numbers before ordering.

Rotors:-

Front

Genuine rotors are modified PBR Corvette C5. The PCD holes are elongated to give us the required 5x114.3mm PCD instead of 5x120mm. Also the rotor has a hub locator ring fitted to reduce the centre diameter from 71mm to 62mm.

Part numbers to be updated.

Aftermarket rotors for the TRD Aurion are not available as a direct replacement, C5 Corvette rotors are available from DBA & RDA. These rotors will need to be modified the same as the genuine PBR sourced rotors.

DBA part number is DBA 067 (standard). 4000 & 5000 options available.

RDA ???

Rear

At the moment it looks as if genuine is the only option. The genuine rotors are PBR made.

Part numbers to be updated.

Pads:-

Front & Rear

Genuine pads are PBR sourced. In the sales literature for the TRD Aurion they are listed as Ferodo HP1000 compound pads. The pads themselves are marked PBR performance, which are according to PBR literature capable of being used from high performance street up to and including club level motor sport. These pads are quite hard on the rotors and have a very high dust output.

Aftermarket options appear to be very good as the pad shape for the TRD Aurion is shared with the Corvette C5/C4, some HSV's and the XR8 Falcon. I have found the best way to find pads is to look up '01 C5 Corvette for the front and '96 C4 Corvette for the rears.

i) Bendix part numbers are F) 7599 and R) DB1354

ii) Hawk Performance part numbers are F) HB247x.575 and R) HB112x.540 x=compound, Street compounds F=(HPS) High Perfomance Street, Z=Performance Ceramic.

iii) EBC part numbers are F) Red Stuff - DP31162C or Yellow Stuff - DP31162R and R) Green Stuff - DP21167 or Red Stuff - DP31167C or Yellow Stuff - DP41167R

Currently Im using genuine rotors front and rear with Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. I have found these to be much quieter and a huge reduction in dust compared to the genuine pads. After almost 5000km I do feel that these pads are also as good if not better than the genuine pads in braking performance.

I have had one small issue with the anti squeal shims on the inside rear pads moving and causing them to touch the back of the park brake drum. They appear to be just attached with a double sided tape and the piston does not press squarely due to shim being a different shape to what is fitted to the genuine pads. They were easy to remove and would recommend anyone using the Hawk pads to do the same before fitting.

Edited by SupaTouring
  • Like 1

Thanks again for your help david... i'll post up the part numbers for the RDA Slotted discs once i get them...

for the record, i've gone for a different setup to David... i've gone with RDA slotted discs with EBC Red Stuff at the front and stock discs with EBC green stuff on the rear..

so once i get them in and bedded in, i'll post up with my opinions on them... :)

• 4 weeks later...

first impressions are that the new combo i went with stops the car 100000000% better than stock...

they havent been bedded in completely yet, as apparently with these pads, that takes some time...

so time will tell how good they are and how dusty they are... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Gave the Hawk pads their first mountain run last night and I am extremely happy with the improvement over the OEM pads. After a little bit of initial fade the performance of the pads stabilised and continued to perform very well even with repeated heavy down hill brake applications.

I had done this same mountain run with the OEM pads and had to back off completely as the pads just went away and didnt seem to recover at all after the first few heavy brake applications.

Note: I have been using Penrite 525 super dot 4 brake fluid since the first brake fluid change at 30k and was used during both mountain runs mentioned above.

Edited by SupaTouring

Aftermarket options appear to be very good as the pad shape for the TRD Aurion is shared with the Corvette C5/C4, some HSV's and the XR8 Falcon. I have found the best way to find pads is to look up '01 C5 Corvette for the front and '96 C4 Corvette for the rears.

i) Bendix part numbers are F) 7599 and R) DB1354

QFM have just released pads for VE/VZ HSV Commodores, do you happen to know what model Commodore pads fit your car?

Front 7599

HSV VT - VZ & GTO - GTS Coupe standard caliper (PBR 2 piston)

Rear DB1354

HSV VN - VS PBR caliper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry mate, i didnt see this thread until now when you pm'd me...

i cant remember the exact amount i paid, but from memory it was roughly around the $900 mark...

that was front rda slotted rotors, front ebc redstuff, rear ebc greenstuff...

hey Ash,

lol that's fine buddy was a pretty old thread hay.

I got a few prices on the red stuff today and it ranged from $270 to $300 for just the front pads... the Bendix street road and track pads were $250 and probably a better pad than the red stuff?

very informative

Post boosting this way isn't going to help you sell your JZX100:

great stuff!
thanks for this!
love this guide!
hahahaha
nice car!
love this show
good rule

Obviously you didn't do this properly:

sorry mate please
read buy and sell rules

I shall quote the specific rule for you since you obviously need to read it again:

2) If you are a new member you must have atleast 30 posts to your name which are of value to the community as well as being a member for more then 3 months. You might ask well how do you measure this ? Its simple. You've answered questions, you've contributed to discussions etc this is NOT and you do NOT qualify if all your posts are in the buy & sell area or if all you do is post in the spam based threads (e.g. picture numbers, Word association etc). How will we govern this ? Again simple there are now over 2000 members on the forum im sure if we mods miss it one of them will be diligent enough to send me a pm. As it is the community of members who are asking for this governance. I should also note this includes linking to items being sold on other sites (e.g. other forums etc) or linking to auction sites (e.g. ebay, yahoo auctions etc).

You noobs are good at demonstrating how you still don't know how to read after being pointed in the right direction. Post boosting (even if you made informative posts... which you didn't), will not help you at all because you have to be a member for at least 3 months.

• Like 1

very informative

Post boosting this way isn't going to help you sell your JZX100:

i have read the rules, a mod has brought this to my attention.

thank you. regardless, i have no intention of reposting my car up for sale, my join date is indicative of this.

Edited by keioffice

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it looks like this is something I am going to look into not far down the track.

Ash, who did you take your rotors to when you had to get the holes drilled/elongated?

Dave, what would you think about getting say the 5000 Series DBA rotors? That way, once you get the centre hat modified, all that ever has to be changed in the future is the rotor component. Would this seem right, or is there some reason why this wouldn't be the wisest choice.

• Like 1

Dave, what would you think about getting say the 5000 Series DBA rotors? That way, once you get the centre hat modified, all that ever has to be changed in the future is the rotor component. Would this seem right, or is there some reason why this wouldn't be the wisest choice.

Not sure if you are referring to me. Nothing wrong with getting floating rotors, as the popular cars all have the option of replacing the rotor and reusing the hat. The only downside other than price is the tendency for the holes where the studs come through tend to elongate if you do frequent heavy braking; this is obviously made worse if there is high heat in the area softening the metal.

• 2 weeks later...

QFM have just released pads for VE/VZ HSV Commodores, do you happen to know what model Commodore pads fit your car?

Yep, we've got QFM pads on the the shelf to suit TRD Aurion.

Front

QFM HPX (Bendix Ultimate equivalent but very low dust and rotor wear) $110

QFM A1RM (Ferodo DS2500 or Bendix SRT equivalent) $149

Rear

QFM HPX $79

QFM A1RM $119

The Aurion fronts are special, most QFM pad are the same price front and rear as the rears quoted above. Any questions feel free to give us a bell on 1300 884 836.

Regards,

Greg

Yep, we've got QFM pads on the the shelf to suit TRD Aurion.

Front

QFM HPX (Bendix Ultimate equivalent but very low dust and rotor wear) $110

QFM A1RM (Ferodo DS2500 or Bendix SRT equivalent) $149

Rear

QFM HPX $79

QFM A1RM $119

The Aurion fronts are special, most QFM pad are the same price front and rear as the rears quoted above. Any questions feel free to give us a bell on 1300 884 836.

Regards,

Greg

Just incase anyone is wondering if GSLRallysport is legit, I can vouch for him as I have bought pads, rotors and fluid from him before from another forum. Great service and I had only messaged him the other day for prices on pads for my TRD which I will be replacing soon.

• 2 months later...

For the members that have installed aftermarket rotors, Is the hub ring transferable to the new rotor? Since the first post mentions "fixed" I am assuming not. How did you guys with aftermarket rotors solve this issue? Also, pictures of the upgrade individual components would be very helpful for visual aid. Thanks in advance!

ok, so i was cleaning my car out this morning (loonnnngggg overdue!) lol

and i found the receipt for the brakes... here are the details:

RDA Slotted Rotors (DR77409S) - $367

EBC Red Stuff Front Brakes (DP31162) - $270

EBC Green Stuff Rear Brakes (DP21167) - $175

catric69: no, i dont believe the hub ring is transferable. i just had the mechanic machine up a new one for me...

SecaBoy, Thanks for the reply. Do you have pictures of the machined ring? Also, to any members that upgraded their brake lines to S.S. brake lines, Which vehicle did you specify when purchasing the brake lines (Corvette or Aurion)? Also, any trouble install the complete set of brake lines?

SecaBoy, Thanks for the reply. Do you have pictures of the machined ring? Also, to any members that upgraded their brake lines to S.S. brake lines, Which vehicle did you specify when purchasing the brake lines (Corvette or Aurion)? Also, any trouble install the complete set of brake lines?

Remember this is the TRD Aurion brake options thread.

Out of the 612 or so TRD's that are currently in existence, I wouldn't be surprised if SecaBoy is the only one to have put slotted rotors on his TRD. That said, the chance of finding another TRD owner who has changed their brake lines to braided lines is pretty slim... finding even just an Aurion owner who has done this would probably be a bit of a search. Anyways, changing to braided brake lines wouldn't really be what I call an upgrade. You will probably find the difference to be that marginal that it won't really necessitate the costs.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FYI:Repco has 40% Off DBA Gold Series Rotors (On Store Stock Only), until 26th September 2010.

Repco Catalogue

From DBA website:

Street Series:

DBA2707X .RRP$290.55 ea (AUD) Street Series Gold (cross-drilled & slotted) Rear Solid

DBA2709X RRP$303.07 ea (AUD) Street Series Gold (cross-drilled & slotted)Front Vented

OR

4000 Series:

DBA42707XS RRP$0.00 ea (AUD) 4000 Series XS (premium cross-drilled & slotted) Rear Solid

DBA42709XS RRP$375.71 ea (AUD)4000 Series XS (premium cross-drilled & slotted) Front Vented

Edited by u54mot