air conditioning filter

ok so i read some other posts on here about there being a weird smell coming from the A/C.. i've had this problem for a few weeks now. usually (but not always), when turn on the a/c, i get this bad smell coming from my vents.. i cant really explain the smell...

anyway some posts said to pull out the filter which is located behind the glove box.. i just pulled a white tray thing out from behind my glove box, which im assuming is the 'filter' ... now there is nothing attached to this white 'tray'.. its just a bit of plastic with 12 rectangular holes... i would assume if its a filter there would be some sort of mesh or spongy stuff, but there is nothing...

here's the question of the hour - should there be something on my tray? or is it just a useless piece of removable plastic and i havent found the filter yet?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i wouldnt worry about it the australian celicas dont have the air con filter either but i know american celicas do, some ppl in america use the filter stuff from rangehoods (the 1 that every1 has above their stove)

Air conditioning is fitted by the dealers when the cars arrive at the dealership... They are done at the same time as the Pre Delivery service...

So you go to your dealer and order a car - then the car gets delivered to the dealership, they fit the AC, floormats, weathershields or whatever extras you wanted, carry out the pre delivery service, detail the car and then the car gets delievered back to the dealer ready for you to come and pick it up...

Usually, contractors are hired to fit AC systems and most of them are lazy... Some tend to forget to fit the AC filter...

I find them all the time...

Thats the reason why some aren't there...

Go down to your local toyota genuine parts shop and get an AC filter... Before fitting, spray some air freshener that you like the smell of onto the filter and that should make it smell better for you :) :) :) ...

• 3 months later...

ok so i read some other posts on here about there being a weird smell coming from the A/C.. i've had this problem for a few weeks now. usually (but not always), when turn on the a/c, i get this bad smell coming from my vents.. i cant really explain the smell...

anyway some posts said to pull out the filter which is located behind the glove box.. i just pulled a white tray thing out from behind my glove box, which im assuming is the 'filter' ... now there is nothing attached to this white 'tray'.. its just a bit of plastic with 12 rectangular holes... i would assume if its a filter there would be some sort of mesh or spongy stuff, but there is nothing...

here's the question of the hour - should there be something on my tray? or is it just a useless piece of removable plastic and i havent found the filter yet?

So how do i get to this filter? Do i reach behind the air filter? Is there even a gap there?

So how do i get to this filter? Do i reach behind the air filter? Is there even a gap there?

To get to the filter you need to pull out your glovebox.

Just push in on both sides and the glovebox should slide out. The filter is located behind there.

I was even nice enough to take a few photos, now I need to find my USB cable.

EDIT: Damn Fuji camera doesn't fit any of my cables :angry:

However it gives me a chance to use my printers card reader for the first time :lol:

This is the filter behind the glovebox, push in the clips at the side & slide it out

th_29674_Glovebox.JPG

And i've been ripped off, no filter here either :(

th_29686_Missing_filter.JPG

Edited by Conquest

thank you very much for the pics conquest!

Pulled out my air filter and just quickly cleaned off the dust, but im lacking one of them filters, looks like Toyota forgot to put one in <_<

Anyways, does anyone know how much these are from Toyota?

group buy? :P

LOL

Count me in.

Ill give Toyota a call on Tuesday and see how much they are.

(I really doubt Toyota is gonna care about a group buy, then again i could kick up a stink about how Toyota didnt put one on their to begin with)

lol nah it was a joke...

but seriously, its crap that they dont put one in there! i'm going to head out there on tuesday and get one... my air-con smells like crap, but only sometimes :blink:

let me know how much the cost.

Thanks mate!

To get to the filter you need to pull out your glovebox.

Just push in on both sides and the glovebox should slide out. The filter is located behind there.

I was even nice enough to take a few photos, now I need to find my USB cable.

EDIT: Damn Fuji camera doesn't fit any of my cables :angry:

However it gives me a chance to use my printers card reader for the first time :lol:

This is the filter behind the glovebox, push in the clips at the side & slide it out

th_29674_Glovebox.JPG

And i've been ripped off, no filter here either :(

th_29686_Missing_filter.JPG

No filter in our wagon, either! Perhaps we should get a full list of people who are missing filters and write to Toyota to see what they could do about it.

Edited by Buddha

yeah i reckon we should!

i am a little annoyed that i didnt get one, but if theres this many of them, then we should write to them! maybe they can at least enforce that the tradies put them in!! its poor service to not be given one!

In my European 2003 Corolla TS there is no filter tray. I remove a clipped cap (similar to the front face of your trays) and then I have access to the filter.

However, it is interesting to mention that there is a sticked label at the left of the lock on the glove box cover (internal face) WARNING us that an a/c filter is installed and it should be always used with the a/c !!! The manual "threatens" that damage may occur without it !

In any case, I have also bad smells frequently. I noticed that the smell is favored if the air vents have been used previously with a/c off.

nah i dont experience those sorts of smells... they are a really weird smell... almost as if something is dead in my air-con <_< ... but the weirdest thing is that i only experience it sometimes. so the smell has nothing to do with the outside world. it happens somewhere between my vents and my intake..

mines more of a dampness smell.

Bit like a wet towel thats been creased up and stuffed in a basket, if you ever smell it, its got a mouldy kinda smell.

Goes away if i put the fan on high for about a minute, then everything is back to normal.

The filters are not supplied with the car. Back in 03 when I purchased my car thought I had been ripped off as well but at the time told by Toyota they are only actually pollen filters (so won't stop any smell) and they are for European conditions only. What we don't have pollen here :huh: - well probably nothing like countries that actually have 4 seasons.

Saves Toyota money - also at the time you could not even buy one in Aus - don't know if that has changed.