Replacement key, the big issue.

Hey guys im in sydney, i lost my car key on my birthday, which wasnt really my fault. I was wondering how much would it cost to get a new one replaced and what is the process in resolving this issue. I was told western toyota is the cheapest place. Anyone know or have any experiences??? i need help.

Cheers Voy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i can tell u exactly

Key - $300

Cutting (have to get it done elsewhere) - $50 for factory coding cut

Coding Ecu to Key - Dunno cos i had it done when the ecu was changed in the stivo

my advice - find the other one! :P hehe or just use your spare

by the way, look after your keys! if u loose all u gotta buy a new ecu, new ignition barrel and new keys. u can add that one up :P

i can tell u exactly

Key - $300

Cutting (have to get it done elsewhere) - $50 for factory coding cut

Coding Ecu to Key - Dunno cos i had it done when the ecu was changed in the stivo

my advice - find the other one! :P hehe or just use your spare

by the way, look after your keys! if u loose all u gotta buy a new ecu, new ignition barrel and new keys. u can add that one up :P

Yip thats it! lost my key from my barina and it cost about the same when you convert it to South African currency!

When I bought my new Rolla it only came with the spare "grey" valet key. I asked Toyota how much for a new keyless remote key....this where it gets scary

since I didn't have the original to code it off big $$$$

yes new key $300 ish,

new locks for doors/boot/steering wheel

new computer

recode

labour

All up ....wait for it $2500

Get real Toyota 2.5k just cause you lose your key.

So hang onto your original. Lucky the car yard found my original.

cheers

Ralph

i lost a set of keys and i was scared they may have been stolen and i enquired to toyota about the cost of getting all the locks changed..

$2800...

stuff that.

lets hope noone has my keys and decides to steal my car hey..

Since ive found my spare now couldnt i just get a key cut and get an alarm system and use the central locking? Thats what my dad did for the Rav4, i could do that for the rolla right? You can get a key and get it cut for around $50 bucks (not toyota key) and get an alarm system for $250 installed = $300ish in total, wouldnt this be cheaper then get an original toyota key?

The stupid code number on my key is worn away anyways. Stupid toyota. If anyone wanna get Key i can hook ya up for a good price, my uncles a master locksmith.

Cheers Voy :D

Since ive found my spare now couldnt i just get a key cut and get an alarm system and use the central locking? Thats what my dad did for the Rav4, i could do that for the rolla right? You can get a key and get it cut for around $50 bucks (not toyota key) and get an alarm system for $250 installed = $300ish in total, wouldnt this be cheaper then get an original toyota key?

The stupid code number on my key is worn away anyways. Stupid toyota. If anyone wanna get Key i can hook ya up for a good price, my uncles a master locksmith.

Cheers Voy :D

The reason why it is so expensive is becos the modern car comes with the engine immbolizer, notice your head of your key is fat "the black platic bit with the toyota logo"? It has a chip in there....Everytime you insert that key into the iginition, it communicate with the unit in the car.

I remember someone told me that's what the key code is for, so if you lose one key, you can order a spare from Toyota, they have the data base of the code, so they can reproduce a key for us....so it's not necessary to change the whole set.

i lost a set of keys and i was scared they may have been stolen and i enquired to toyota about the cost of getting all the locks changed..

$2800...

stuff that.

lets hope noone has my keys and decides to steal my car hey..

Ponders to himself! :ph34r::ph34r:

Toyota aren't the only ones like this ... from the conversations I had with customers when I worked in insurance claims, I think you'll find that most cars have similar issues when keys go missing.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this will help any one but check out ebay if you need a blank key:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Most-Model-K...oQQcmdZViewItem

You can also get others with buttons (but looks like you need to get the insides)...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Key-Blank-Re...oQQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

FB

• 1 year later...

/me digs thread up

Hey, my 06 rolla only came with one key (only transponder) and one seperate remote. I've been quoted around $110 - $130 to get the key replaced (another 30 or so for the remote). Don't care about the remote as I'll be getting an alarm and will get two new ones with that.

Are any of you guys that have access to keys in SA by any chance? Hell even if I buy the key from someone you know I'd feel happier, even if it's the same price. The markup on them must be obscene!

Edited by AlexM