Replacement key, the big issue.

/me digs thread up

Hey, my 06 rolla only came with one key (only transponder) and one seperate remote. I've been quoted around $110 - $130 to get the key replaced (another 30 or so for the remote). Don't care about the remote as I'll be getting an alarm and will get two new ones with that.

Are any of you guys that have access to keys in SA by any chance? Hell even if I buy the key from someone you know I'd feel happier, even if it's the same price. The markup on them must be obscene!

the normal corolla keys are cheaper to replace, as it doesnt have all the security features that the stivo has... the stivo uses the immobliser and central locking system by Denso...

and yea... for a replacement key, it will cost you $300ish from toyota... and it's considered to be cheap... because the mini cooper's spare key cost $800

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

/me digs thread up

Hey, my 06 rolla only came with one key (only transponder) and one seperate remote. I've been quoted around $110 - $130 to get the key replaced (another 30 or so for the remote). Don't care about the remote as I'll be getting an alarm and will get two new ones with that.

Are any of you guys that have access to keys in SA by any chance? Hell even if I buy the key from someone you know I'd feel happier, even if it's the same price. The markup on them must be obscene!

the normal corolla keys are cheaper to replace, as it doesnt have all the security features that the stivo has... the stivo uses the immobliser and central locking system by Denso...

and yea... for a replacement key, it will cost you $300ish from toyota... and it's considered to be cheap... because the mini cooper's spare key cost $800

Conquest, Levin and Sportivo (and probably Ultima) ZZE Rollas all came with the same key (with central locking integrated). It was only the Ascent that had the seperate key and central locking system, however the key still has the donger in it which needs to be coded to the engine, so is almost as pricey anyway.

I bought my Corolla (2003 sedan) second hand and I only got the main remote locking key. This appears to be useless for the boot and doors. I was initially a bit worried that if the battery goes flat I'd have no way of getting into the car. How much would the boot/door keys cost keeping in mind that I do not have the original?

I bought my Corolla (2003 sedan) second hand and I only got the main remote locking key. This appears to be useless for the boot and doors. I was initially a bit worried that if the battery goes flat I'd have no way of getting into the car. How much would the boot/door keys cost keeping in mind that I do not have the original?

Well if you can't open the boot and doors... then that means you don't have the master key. If it is the spare key it should still be able to open the doors and start the car but not the boot.

I went to Toyota yesterday as I've got similar situation to you however I have the master key but the dealer I got it off said that was all they got. So Toyota said I have to get the key cut elsewhere and take it back to them for 30mins or so to get the key coded to the car for $45. He wouldn't quote me whether it would be cheaper to get 2 keys done. It's ridiculas but what can ya do.

By the way Master Keys are black. Spare keys are grey.

After having read you post, I went and checked the locks with the master key. It works on the boot and the doors. Me being the dumb ***** I am, never actually turned the key. Having once put it in the door and seeing it would not go all the way in, I thought that there was another key for the doors. :rolleyes:

You get two master keys when you buy your car.....well for the conquest and sportivo anyway.

Well, mine was a used car so unfortunately I just got the one.

The best price I've been able to track down was $80, but that guy didn't sound too sure.

Yep. You get two black master keys with the central locking remote buttons, the a third (grey) valet key. You should also have a small metal tag with an ID number on it. You use that to order extra keys from toyota.

And to the person with the RAV4 who said they can just bypass the stock imobiliser and put an aftermaket in, our cars have the imobilser built into the ECU. This means the car will not run unless you have the key to electronically unlock the ECU.

i found this business in my local smartsaver newspaper today.. (www.smartsaver.com.au)

hopefully itll come in handy and it wont cost an arm and a leg

"AUTOMOTIVE LOCK EXPERTS

nissan, TOYOTA, holden, ford, mitsubishi, honda, suzuki etc.

A lost computer key can cost up to 1000 to reprogram.

keys kut

locks repaired

safe locks

car locks and keys

master key systems

car locks recoded

dead locks

window locks

"THE CLEVER ONE HAD A SPARE KEY CUT FOR VERY LITTLE"

lock out service after hours - we come to you

the original blacktown locksmith

ESt. 1972

J.LOCKSMITH P/L

UNIT 8, 8 FORGE ST. BLACKTOWN

9621 4318"

Edited by JJCRU23R

I dont understand the point of the valet (grey coloured) key.

It can open all doors, but not the boot.

But if someone wanted to get in your boot, all they need to do is pull the seat down or better yet, use the remote boot opener from driver side door.

Is here something ive missed?

?????

Edited by neK

might have to ask toyota that question...

i always thought it was a spare key that just lacked the remote buttons.

when i bought my corolla the guy thought the grey key was for unlocking the glove box... but there isnt a lock on it?

found this on yahoo answers:

Question What is the difference between a valet key and master key?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Master key can open doors, trunk (inside or outside of car) start your car open the glove compartment etc! The valet key is mainly used for Valet to park your car, it can start your car up & lock it thats it! It cannot open glove compartments maynot open the trunk. Never give your master key even to the mechanics.

Edited by JJCRU23R

• 7 months later...
Hey guys im in sydney, i lost my car key on my birthday, which wasnt really my fault. I was wondering how much would it cost to get a new one replaced and what is the process in resolving this issue. I was told western toyota is the cheapest place. Anyone know or have any experiences??? i need help.

Cheers Voy

Answer for replacement keys

I have done much research on lost keys. I would like to helppeopl get the right answer

First list exactly what keys you have when asking.

Do you have master key? It is has black plastic ($40 see below)

Do you have valet key, It is dark grey plastic (seemed almost black to me till I saw it beside a master)($300 see below)

No Key? same as valet ($300 see below)

If you have master key you are laughing, just buy a blank of ebay for around $30 get it cut for $5-$10 and program it yourself (from toyota manual or search on WEB) Yes its all that 5 presses of brake pedal, hand brake stuff etc.

Total cost around $40 plus time.

It is also required to program remote locking fob

If you have valet key ,bummer!

You can get a cloned valet key for around $90, cheap eh? but if you want more its $90 each time as it cannot program otehr keys or remote locking fob if battery goes flat.

For a new Master Key I have got a quote for a new master key and valet key (that open all doors they said) if I remove ECU for $300, $500 if they remove ECU. NOt too bad, mush less teh $2500 sometime quoted

This means there must be some number somewhere (vin or something) to cut master Since this cmoapny could createa a master when I did not have one(this means new locks are never needed)

Also think about, A locksmith can just remove one lock, check it out make a key to fit, tadah!

Just email a few locksmiths and you should go well.

I am still trying to find one on the Central coast as removal of ECU and getting to Sydney to get it flashed are annoying.

Plus I reckon I can get it done for under $200 I mean the only cost to them is how much they want to charge me for use the fancy ECU flasher machine as I can supply ECU and cut keys (using Ebay method and copying my valet (My valet works on ALL locks except passenger of my 2000 Ultima, Locksmith said passenger is probably jammed from lack of use)

Once you have master then you can go back to the cheap options for replacement Keys and fobs.

Hope this helps

PS Never buy a Toyota without Masterkeys or service manual, they are annoying to replace or hard to find and add considerably to costs

Just to add to the thread, it migth save people some money.

When i bougth my sportivo it only came with one key.

Of course toyota want $300+ for it.

So i bougth one of ebay for $80, looks exactly the same as toyota with gold logo at the back, honestly real good key and you cant tell the difference.

Cutting was $11.95 and coding $30 at toyota and it took 20 min.

Here is the link to the guy that sold me the key on ebay

He doesnt have any corolla ones listed but i guess it doesnt hurt to ask if he can get some.

Hope this saves some one heaps of money like it did for me.

If you need any more info feel free to pm me.

Thx

So i bougth one of ebay for $80, looks exactly the same as toyota with gold logo at the back, honestly real good key and you cant tell the difference.

He doesnt have any corolla ones listed but i guess it doesnt hurt to ask if he can get some.

Thx

This is what I was trying to get across in my previous ramblings.

People are not making it clear what key they used or whether a new one was made using old keys

You have not made it clear what key you had to start with

If you have master key then in fact you could have coded it for free yourself

but if you have valet only and it was $30 at toyota then wow thats exciting

Also did they use your old key to code , cause if they didnt then wow again!

Please supply more info.

post-4278-1209298930_thumb.jpg

This is the pic of the key i bougth,

It is the same as the one i started of with, i guess you could call it master key,

not the valet key

Dont know how could i code it for free but toyota said they need the original key and the car to code it, it only took 20 min and $30

Edited by scrolla

I been thinking to buy one of those flip key cases. But then, it doesnt have one that fits the new rolla keys so a remote fob needs to be purchases then have to get the key cut then coded

If toyota can code it for $30 then thats not too bad. But worth it for the hassle just to get a flip key?

Thx

I wish someone made this thread earlier.... :(

I paid $300 for my key $50 to get it cut and programed....

Stupid me... that could have gone to my wing tips!!!

• 3 weeks later...

It is the same as the one i started of with, i guess you could call it master key,

not the valet key

Dont know how could i code it for free but toyota said they need the original key and the car to code it, it only took 20 min and $30

i plan on getting this key off ebay too.

If i only have the valet key, can toyota get the 2 buttons to work as well?

and is $30 all it'll cos to code it?

Cheers

I know I'm gonna sound very stupid with my question but heck, being a noob doesn't help much :whistling:

Anyway, I have an ascent and the car came with 2 keys, one master (black), one grey that can't open the boot and a remote. Now a few days ago, I went on ebay, browsing random things while waiting for the soccer game on TV, I found this key that has the remote built right into its plastic body and I kinda liked it. So the question is, would I be able to use such key with my Ascent?

Sorry for the dumb question <_<

not the valet key

i plan on getting this key off ebay too.

If i only have the valet key, can toyota get the 2 buttons to work as well?

and is $30 all it'll cos to code it?

Cheers

I dont think you can, you need the key with two buttons (master key) as that one has a chip in it with all the info to code it.

Best thing to do would be is to go to your local toyota and ask them if they can do it, than buy the key.

I've a 2002/3 Levin with only a lock to the drivers door and boot. the key I got withthe car when I purchased it second hand, one key only has no buttons on it and am unsure if Levin would have remote central locking etc.

A comment above somewhere suggested all conquest, Levins and Sportivos have central remote locking? Can this be confirmed by anyone here or can you refer me to the location of the unit inthe car somewhere?

Also to get myself a remote locking key, is this gonna be in the $2500 mark? or cost of key, cut and code for immobiliser!?

Toyota quoted $100 ish for the key and code for immob. ... would like central remote lokcing though if can be done cheaply.

Compare to $2500, i recon just hide a tracking module somewhere in your car, you can always check it online and know where it is 24/7. Cost? can be cheap as $300 to $2000

not the valet key

Is that just the key + casing, or does it contain the transponder thing inside?