Replacement key, the big issue.

Hi guys,

I'm new here, I know this is thread is for Corolla's, but I was hoping it'd be similar for a Yaris.

I'm looking to get an extra remote key and reading up on what others have done with getting them on ebay, I'm wanting to take the plunge :)

I have the master key (battery is dead which needs replacing), but I'm not sure what to type in to the ebay search field to look for the keys. Would appreciate the help!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys im in sydney, i lost my car key on my birthday, which wasnt really my fault. I was wondering how much would it cost to get a new one replaced and what is the process in resolving this issue. I was told western toyota is the cheapest place. Anyone know or have any experiences??? i need help.

Cheers Voy

if you have your spare you can take it to those mister minit shops that cut keys. i got mine cut and another remote all programed for $100

Hi all,

Just thought i'd let you guys know

The little metal tag you get on the key ring when you buy the car has nothing to do with the coding of the transponder

to the ECU. It is the code for the cut of the key. If you lose this tag, the code is also written on the drivers door barrel.

The locksmith will use that code to cut an accurate copy.

Mrs Whitestivo has lost all her keys. The house, the car, the racing bikes, the lot.

I asked my mate at toyota, he said all up about $300 reprog at mates rates (!!). Said they key was the main offender for high price.

I saw a thread in here about keys off ebay, and am posting up for what people think of these keys 6 months later.

I still have both another remote key, and the valet key with silver id. I need another remote key as we only have one car.

Alternatively, if anyone has moved on from their corolla (or another shape with same key), and has a spare key lying around, I offer you $100 for it.

Thanks

whitestivo

Alternatively, if anyone has moved on from their corolla (or another shape with same key), and has a spare key lying around, I offer you $100 for it.

Thanks

whitestivo

Don't bother mate. Once a key has been coded to an ECU, it can't be coded to another.

My sister is using two of the ebay transponder keys on her ZZE corolla. I programmed them using the procedure in the service manual, but my local dealer charges $40 per key for programming. Works out a ****load cheaper than $300...

Mrs Whitestivo has lost all her keys. The house, the car, the racing bikes, the lot.

I asked my mate at toyota, he said all up about $300 reprog at mates rates (!!). Said they key was the main offender for high price.

I saw a thread in here about keys off ebay, and am posting up for what people think of these keys 6 months later.

I still have both another remote key, and the valet key with silver id. I need another remote key as we only have one car.

Thanks

whitestivo

• 5 months later...
I had a search on ebay and all I could find was shells, no actual keys.

If I can save $150 on the key, I'd be very happy.

whitestivo

go to "mrminit" (the shoe repair /key cutting guys in your local shopping centre)....to supply a key AND code it...$169....

i did not belive the guy when he told me.....

so to confirm....

IF U TAKE A WORKING TOYOTA KEY TO HIM HE WILL GIVE U A EXACT SAME WORKING KEY FOR $169.(almost same as a new blank key from toyota)

U DO NOT NEED THE CAR TO CODE IT LIKE TOYOTA WILL TELL YOU!!!! TRUST ME.. (they should be reported for lying to us to make heaps of money)

does same prices for hsv's with the hsv/gto logo keys etc...he has some fancy computer right there next to his boring old shoe machine ha ha..how times change

• 8 months later...

urrrm.... i've managed to get my hands on a USED master key...

The plan is to get a shell and cut a copy of my current key

My question is:

is it possible to reprogram the chip to my car? [for the stivo]

i was searching some people say the transponder can be reprogrammed once it's programmed to one car and some say they can't

so which is it?

Edited by envykenshin

• 3 months later...

hi. i can supply a spare key and fit for you..

all u need is one spare key.. ( a valet key is fine to do this.. as the only difference between the black and the grey valet is its cut different so that if

you get valet parking, you can leave your valuables in the glove box or boot so the valet attendant cant get into them..

the valet key still has a transponer working(or you wouldnt be able to start your car(nor would the valet attendant)grey key has the end missing.

i can also program remote keys for you but im all out of remote keys atm but had a few spare keys left.

email me on steveauston@hotmail.com

anyone in adelaide is welcome to contact me..cheers

oops seems im a little late on this post lol.. offer still stands for anyone needing a key..

Edited by steveauston

• 1 year later...

Just to add to the thread, it migth save people some money.

When i bougth my sportivo it only came with one key.

Of course toyota want $300+ for it.

So i bougth one of ebay for $80, looks exactly the same as toyota with gold logo at the back, honestly real good key and you cant tell the difference.

Cutting was $11.95 and coding $30 at toyota and it took 20 min.

Here is the link to the guy that sold me the key on ebay

He doesnt have any corolla ones listed but i guess it doesnt hurt to ask if he can get some.

Hope this saves some one heaps of money like it did for me.

If you need any more info feel free to pm me.

Thx

I know this is really old, but where did you get the key cut for $11.95. Mister Minit is quoting me $89, just to copy my master key, even if I provide the blank key. Thanks.

I know this is really old, but where did you get the key cut for $11.95. Mister Minit is quoting me $89, just to copy my master key, even if I provide the blank key. Thanks.

what car do you have ? does it have an immobilizer ?

its expensive because your master key has a code in it,