CAI or SRI

Which is better?

Now before you answer

SRI will be boxed with a cold air feed coming from the front of the car. Cold air feed will have a slightly larger diameter then the SRI tube

CAI is CAI

From my research there are mixed reports some saying CAI is still better, SRI has better throttle response. Anyone care to explain in a bit more detail?? Does the length of the pipe make a difference?? Momentum?? Reynolds #, Laminar or Turbulant?? Engineers its time to strut your stuff.

Cheers

P.S. If I'm wrong, please kill me :ph34r:

If the money can be invested into an SRI setup do that. Much much better throttle response. Would be the same as CAI (if you can match the air delivery) only the throttle response would be zippy.

I was going to do this myself only, I got lazy haha.

Which is better?

Now before you answer

SRI will be boxed with a cold air feed coming from the front of the car. Cold air feed will have a slightly larger diameter then the SRI tube

CAI is CAI

From my research there are mixed reports some saying CAI is still better, SRI has better throttle response. Anyone care to explain in a bit more detail?? Does the length of the pipe make a difference?? Momentum?? Reynolds #, Laminar or Turbulant?? Engineers its time to strut your stuff.

Cheers

P.S. If I'm wrong, please kill me :ph34r:

Yes the length of the intake tract does make a difference. The shorter it is, the sharper your throttle response will be, particularly at low revs/low speed.

SRI = Short Ram Intake

CAI = Cool Air Intake

SRI - is just a tiny pipe just sticking out of the engine and a pod at the end of it with enough room for the MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow i think is what it stands for) anyway this just sucks air from in the engine unless you get it enclosed and get a pipe from the front of the car going into the box that can hold a lot of cold air at one time.

CAI - is just a long pipe going from the engine to under the headlight or foglight this takes longer for the air to get into the engine so it is slower throttle response obdviously becuase the air has to go all the way back down the pipe

hope this helps just a quick reply CBF going into total detail ill let some other member go into it if u want a longer explanation

SRI = Best performance if you can be bothered to engineer the airflow to it on a street car. 5kw atw odd.

CAI = Best bang for buck performance, as it's a sraight bolt on and gains 5kw atw odd too. Not as good throttle response, but who cares on a road car really haha.

;)

It depends what you want it for. If you want top end power, CAI is the way to go.

But if you want throttle response and low end power, then get a SRI.

I think the SRI starts to have the same preformance as the stock air filter setup above 4.5k -5k rpm.

(Please someone correct me if I'm worng on this) :D

I've been looking at getting a SRI setup, similar to the below picture, for some time now.

Damm bills and my tax return wasn't even enough to cover petrol for 2 weeks. :angry::angry:

So still saving.......

This is a Simota SRI with a Carbon Fiber setup:

This is a Simota SRI with a heat shield air filter with a air intake extension kit:

This is a Simota SRI with a heat shield air filter with a air intake extension kit:

Out of curiousity Rainman, how much are those setups? and where can they be sourced? - espcially that carbon fiber setup one - that looks rice B)

I've been searching for about a month now and everytime I found a Simota distributor; they never stock it.

Apparently there's not much demand for them, so they don't stock it. :angry::angry::angry:

Don't know the price for the carbon fiber one but the HeatShield air filter is $37.28 and the extension kits $41.42, not including shipping.

I did found a distributor in NZ (www.broomfish.co.nz), and apparently they are getting a lot of emails about these SRI kits. BUT they only have SRI kits for the 93-97 Corolla. :angry:

I think they have the Heat Shield Air filter and Air Intake Extension Kits, but didn't ask...

Found out that CyberCentury sells the SRI pipe for only $80. I was gonna have a look at it and see if the Simota Heat Shield Air filter and Air Intake Extension Kits will fit it. But haven't had the time.

The searching still continues............

Edited by Rainman

I had some crazy theory going on. Something like this...

True the longer the pipe the more 'lag' that will be present (assuming that its a perfectly sealed system). But I was thinking along the lines of maybe momentum of the air flow (but then again air is not exactly heavy. unless you compress it...but thats different), so maybe it counts for nothing. What about the resonance of the air??.

So there are no draw backs to the SRI if it receives an adequate enough air supply??

Cheers

Edited by Suprathai

THe most important thing is the temp of the air entering the throttle body as the temperatuire of the air will help the engine combustion process thus creating more power.

The only reason why dyno results show that a CAI give more KW gain then a normal SRI is the combustion process is better with colder air. In saying this if you used a short ray with good COLD air flow you will have the same temp Air with better throttle responce.

From my experiementation and so forth with drag racing and trying to get more power, you will get better results when you know how to drive and use it. Better off buying a gtech for 300 bucks an learnign how to launch then spening 200 bucks on extra intake equipment. :P :P Or better tyres and suspension for that matter.

Remember with the SRI you will not have the same noise outside the car liek you do with a CAI :P THats food 4 thought

It depends what you want it for. If you want top end power, CAI is the way to go.

But if you want throttle response and low end power, then get a SRI.

I think the SRI starts to have the same preformance as the stock air filter setup above 4.5k -5k rpm.

(Please someone correct me if I'm worng on this) :D

I've been looking at getting a SRI setup, similar to the below picture, for some time now.

Damm bills and my tax return wasn't even enough to cover petrol for 2 weeks. :angry::angry:

So still saving.......

according to the locals that have tried the carbon induction. it sucks. after a while no one bought them. most ppl go the simota twin charger. if u're really really serious about that CF box. PM me, i might be able to give u a hand.

Is this what the Twin Charger looks like yeah??

Got quoted $270 with a free breather here in Melbourne. What the heck is a breather?? :huh:

Anyway I really want a SRI kit with a intake extension for the throttle response; only cause my rolla has never been above 4300rpm. And that only happened cause my dad miss shift dropping to 4th -- went to 2nd instead.