Changeover manual A/C for Dualzone climate control

Hi peoplz

im new here as you can see,,, have been trying to use the search to find any info on what im asking but no luck,,,

Can anyone tell me if its possible to do a straight swap over of the manual knob controls on ,say an AT-X aircon and replace it with the clmate control module??

i dont really care if dual zone doesnt work,, but would prefer the smaller neater looking automatic controls ,,, does anyone know if the heaterbox is compatible ?

i havent looked behind the dash yet to see if its electronic,,,im guessing the days of cables and vacuum tiubes are gone.

FAT

i havent looked behind the dash yet to see if its electronic,,,im guessing the days of cables and vacuum tiubes are gone.

I am wondering about the same thing.

I looked behind mine this morning and the manual controls ARE electronic. There are no vacumm lines or anything like that there. An electrical connector is all that plugs into the back of it.

What we need is someone with a ZR6 to try it in a SX6/ATX.

I am wondering about the same thing.

I looked behind mine this morning and the manual controls ARE electronic. There are no vacumm lines or anything like that there. An electrical connector is all that plugs into the back of it.

What we need is someone with a ZR6 to try it in a SX6/ATX.

or someone willing to forkout for the module :whistling:

anyone looked into what its worth from toymota spare parts?

havent come acrss one on ebay yet.

In addition to the control panel, I'm guessing you will also need the temperature sensor which goes underneath the steering wheel. In the models that don't have climate control, the cut-out is there, just the sensor isn't. I also wonder how it will react without the appropriate dual zone components.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to rehash an old topic, but did anyone try this with success? If no one has tried it, I think I will give it a go...

I'm not home to pull my unit out so can someone with a manual unit take a quick look at the back of the unit to see if it looks something like this?

post-12732-1241019639_thumb.jpg

Sorry to rehash an old topic, but did anyone try this with success? If no one has tried it, I think I will give it a go...

I'm not home to pull my unit out so can someone with a manual unit take a quick look at the back of the unit to see if it looks something like this?

The connector on the manual controls is exactly the same. The manual controls have less wires though (obviously). For the manual controls, you only have the PURPLE, BLUE, WHITE, GREEN, and BROWN wires. I reckon those digital controls may work, but you may find that it will have difficulty getting the temperature right since you won't have a temperature sensor fitted if you originally had the manual controls. That and it may throw a diagnostics code cause it may think the dual zone servos are busted.

Don't even bother trying. There are a huge number of differences in components between the 2 systems. Quite likely not even the same A/C amplifier as the software is totally different.

The only difference in the number of wires going to the control panel between the 2 will be the wires going to the steering wheel buttons. The others are power and communications.

• 6 years later...
Reviving an old thread here, but I did this swap today and was mostly successful. After spending a lot of time comparing the real-life wiring connectors between the manual controls and digital controls I came to the conclusion that Toyota used the exact same connector for the rear of the A/C control panel, except mirrored the wires vertically/diagonally. What I initially did was shave the clip off my connector so I could flip it around and plug it into the digital unit, but when I did this there was no power to the unit at all, whereas putting it in the original way allowed the unit to get power to the unit (screen illuminated but with no words/symbols and only a couple of buttons worked).

So to cut a long story short, if I plugged to digital unit in using the original knob-type connector the screen would illuminate but you could't control the unit for any function other than the rear screen demister and making the A/C button light up. Determined to make this work, I ended up changing the A/C amplifier under the dash while I was replacing the cabin filter today. To my amazement this actually worked! And the display lit up with all of the symbols and I was able to use all of the buttons + turn the temperature up and down etc.

There is however only one problem - I can't get it to blow warm or hot air whatsoever. A/C on cold works perfectly but no hot air regardless of what setting or temp I put it on. I''m guessing this has to do with the lack of the cabin temperature sensor (I have one sitting here but haven't hooked it up). Either that or one of the wires that controls the hot/cold mixer isn't cross-compatible with the original plug.

So to sum it up:

* I now have awesome digital controls that look so much better than the oldschool knobs.

* I only had to change the A/C amplifier under the dash to make it work.

* All functions, air speeds, vent directions etc work fine.

* Can only get cold air, no hot air.

* Original A/C amplifier part # is: 88650-06250

* Digital A/C amplifier part # is: 89660-06160

Conclusion: Even though I'm not getting any heat now that I've installed this unit, I'm seriously considering leaving it in and just throwing an extra jumper on during the colder mornings as even though I had full functionality with the previous knob-type A/C display, I absolutely detest the look of such a dated design in an otherwise very modern looking car, so if freezing my ***** off means I don't have to look at them then that's a compromise I'm willing to make :D

20150530_101510.jpg

20150530_102319.jpg

IMG_1207-resized.jpg

IMG_1209-resized.jpg

• Like 1

I am surprised you were as successful as you were.

In contrast to other Toyota models, the Aurion is a bit special in that it also uses a servo-actuator for mode setting in both the manual and climate control models - which is why you were able to get it working as well as you did.
However in the Presara/ZR6 models, the temperature is also adjusted via an electric servo whereas the knob cable operates the temperature in the base models.

I'm not sure whether the heater cores are the same with the only difference between the presence or not of the electric servo - this is normally the case in many newer Toyota models that offer both manual air con and climate control. The climate control models also have both interior and exterior temperature sensors as well.

You've most likely gotten the most out of a conversion most people could get without considerably more wiring/parts

I am surprised you were as successful as you were.

In contrast to other Toyota models, the Aurion is a bit special in that it also uses a servo-actuator for mode setting in both the manual and climate control models - which is why you were able to get it working as well as you did.

However in the Presara/ZR6 models, the temperature is also adjusted via an electric servo whereas the knob cable operates the temperature in the base models.

I'm not sure whether the heater cores are the same with the only difference between the presence or not of the electric servo - this is normally the case in many newer Toyota models that offer both manual air con and climate control. The climate control models also have both interior and exterior temperature sensors as well.

You've most likely gotten the most out of a conversion most people could get without considerably more wiring/parts

I'm pretty sure that the heater core and whole A/C assembly is the same between the manual controls and electronic controls, but I'll have to take a close look when I get back to work next week. I work at a wrecker who sells nothing else but Toyota parts so comparing the two systems is pretty easy and as luck would have it we have both types of heater cores already removed from the vehicles so the first thing I'll look at is the servo to control the hot/cold mix. With a bit of luck I'll just have to switch them over and it will starting moving to the 'hot' position B)

Scott, I think you should try get it completely sorted, would be pretty awesome.

I think so too. I've come this far, so might aswell try and complete it properly ^_^

After spending some time studying the factory Camry/Aurion wiring diagrams (http://toyota.aitnet.org/Camry/Camry_2007_wiring_diagrams.pdf) I think I may have figured out the problem. I'm going to ditch my existing connectors for the back of the A/C display and use the proper connector that was designed for it, as technically right now the only two wires that are going back to the A/C amplifier is the power and communication wires. The two wires that my original connector is missing (red and black) are only for the A/C controls on the steering wheel, so I won't need to worry about those right now, but all of the other wires are in different pin locations, so if I use the proper plug all the right signals should go to all the right places.

According to the diagram, there's two hot/cold mix servos for the digital A/C, one on the driver's side of the A/C blower unit and one on the passenger's side - Which makes complete sense since that'll be how it sends two different temperatures left and right. There's also the addition of the interior temperature sensor and also the solar temp sensor on the dashboard, but I don't think I'll need to worry about that as that should only be required for the 'AUTO' function, which I've never bothered using in any of my Toyotas in the past. All of the other A/C components and wiring appear to be the same, so fingers crossed it won't require much more work to get the heat coming through :)

In the meantime, I took these night shots of the unit as I love the blue hue it produces when the headlights are on:

IMG_1219-resized.jpg

IMG_1220-resized.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

After spending some time studying the factory Camry/Aurion wiring diagrams (http://toyota.aitnet.org/Camry/Camry_2007_wiring_diagrams.pdf) I think I may have figured out the problem. I'm going to ditch my existing connectors for the back of the A/C display and use the proper connector that was designed for it, as technically right now the only two wires that are going back to the A/C amplifier is the power and communication wires. The two wires that my original connector is missing (red and black) are only for the A/C controls on the steering wheel, so I won't need to worry about those right now, but all of the other wires are in different pin locations, so if I use the proper plug all the right signals should go to all the right places.

According to the diagram, there's two hot/cold mix servos for the digital A/C, one on the driver's side of the A/C blower unit and one on the passenger's side - Which makes complete sense since that'll be how it sends two different temperatures left and right. There's also the addition of the interior temperature sensor and also the solar temp sensor on the dashboard, but I don't think I'll need to worry about that as that should only be required for the 'AUTO' function, which I've never bothered using in any of my Toyotas in the past. All of the other A/C components and wiring appear to be the same, so fingers crossed it won't require much more work to get the heat coming through :)

In the meantime, I took these night shots of the unit as I love the blue hue it produces when the headlights are on:

IMG_1219-resized.jpg

IMG_1220-resized.jpg

Hey KiwiCorolla!

I'm so looking forward for this thing to work so that I can try it on my '08 Camry.

Btw, that 'rolla you got is awesome and you are so famous for that on PW!

(thumbs up)

Edited by Salarzae Kahn

• 9 months later...

Did you actually get it work?

On June 1, 2015 at 1:10 AM, Full-Throttle said:

IMG_1219-resized.jpg

IMG_1220-resized.jpg

Never did manage to get it fully functional. Even with the proper connector/plug it didn't work at all, so I came to the conclusion that that was the most I was ever going to get out of the swap without actually changing over the entire harness/loom and A/C components.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have auto head lights?

if so you should have the sensor in the middle of the dash.

The temp sensors you can get from the wreckers, and the cables and connectors.

are the plugs on the back of each unit the same?

if so let's see if the cable just need to be moved around.

So I just had a gander at the magic book of which I can't post because I got in trouble last time (I'll speak to Trent to see if I can arrange for it to be pored somewhere)

it looks like the only difference is a few cables, an ion generator, the solar sensor I'm pretty sure you should have if you have auto lights, a/c room temp sensor...

going on the diagram it's all the same otherwise.

• Like 1

Been through the complete guts of what's needed side-by-side with two Aurions with a stripped interior (Presara/Grande vs Sportivo) and there are many more changes needed than that unfortunately. For starters there's another servo motor on the airbox behind the dash, which can't be added in to the existing one - That's only for the dual zone function though, but still plays a big part in the functionality of the rest of the unit. The temp sensor down by your left knee is easy enough as there is already a port to plug it into, however you have to run new wiring to the A/C amplifier under the dash. Without swapping literally everything over from the top spec model, including the body harness, there's no easy way to get full functionality. I'd be very happy if someone proved me wrong however, or at least managed to get heat with it, but I believe I've gone down every possible avenue to get it working 'properly' without tearing my whole dash apart.

Could you do it? Swap it over I mean. It's possible but would you do it?

i would love to have a crack but I don't have the money 😕

What model sportivo do you have? Must be the SX6?

• 7 months later...

I also upgraded the dual climate air con control.  As Full-Throttle said the Air con control board must be replaced to  part # is: 89660-xxxx otherwise I would not work. To my surprise that both boards(manual and digital) are exactly the same, possibly the firmware are different so that  the manual board does not work with the digital controller.

The dual climate control looks a lot nicer than the old school manual one however the manual knob is a lot easier to use in my opinion. 

Also as Full-throttle has already mentioned, the dual climate control on my ATX only produces cold air, not blowing heat air at all, which is the compromise that you need to take if you decide to change over.

I paid $30 for the controlling board and $30 for the digital dual climate controller from a wrecked presara, great value for the upgrade.

Also, DO NOT try to get the Camry dual climate control to use in an Aurion, although they look the same. It would not work and verified by me. 

I also took the chance to upgrade the wood grain middle dash, the TRD gear knob, the TRD Seats, automated rear mirror and trims. My ATX looks a lot nicer now. 

air-1.jpg

air-11.jpg

ar-2.jpg

air-3.jpg

air4.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

25.jpg

• Like 1

Great to see that someone else has tried this. A shame that you also couldn't get any heat out of it, but that's understandable. If you ever do stumble across some magical setting between high/low or different temps left/right that suddenly produces heat please let me know! :laugh:. Loving the TRD SL interior by the way. I've always wanted that interior for mine, but we don't get the TRD models here in NZ (there are only two here that I know of, that were privately imported). Very nice indeed :cool:

• 9 months later...

HI everyone I have read all the talks and interested to change my manual control to digital in my Toyota Camry SE 2011. but as u guys discussed earlier about the amplifier part I looking it online but could not getting it on any website can u plz help to know from where I can get it