AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.


PengNZ

70L Fuel tank capacity?

Recommended Posts

I got really confused with the fuel tank capacity. Every time i fuel up my 2014 atx from the fuel light on (with 30 ish k crusing range) to full (the pump first time stops) takes only 50-51L gas. Is it really normal? The fuel tank of this model is supposed to be able to take 70L!!

Any replies are appreciated. Cheers:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

You'll find there is still a fair amount of fuel in the tank when the light comes on. It is common practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

You'll find there is still a fair amount of fuel in the tank when the light comes on. It is common practice.

Thanks for your reply, Trent. Good morning btw.  I’d agree with what you said but 20L (70L - 50L) gas is much more than ‘a fair amount’. Plus, if I do have 20L gas in my fuel tank, the car computer should tell me I got at least 150 kms cruising range instead of usually less than 50 the computer told me.

There was one time the cruising range was down to 8 km and the needle directly pointed to the Empty and I used only 53L gas to fuel up. 53L is enough for a 70L tank??? That made me really really confused. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PengNZ said:

Thanks for your reply, Trent. Good morning btw.  I’d agree with what you said but 20L (70L - 50L) gas is much more than ‘a fair amount’. Plus, if I do have 20L gas in my fuel tank, the car computer should tell me I got at least 150 kms cruising range instead of usually less than 50 the computer told me.

There was one time the cruising range was down to 8 km and the needle directly pointed to the Empty and I used only 53L gas to fuel up. 53L is enough for a 70L tank??? That made me really really confused. 

Have you owned Toyotas before?  They are renowned for giving a good 100k+ of additional range after the fuel light comes on or the trip computer says 0k to empty (and I'm not just talking about one particular model).  Much better to err on the side of caution than to have customers always running out of fuel (and you never want to run a tank down to the last few litres anyway, as it can cause fuel starvation which is bad for the pump AND the engine if it drastically leans out)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PengNZ said:

Thanks for your reply, Trent. Good morning btw.  I’d agree with what you said but 20L (70L - 50L) gas is much more than ‘a fair amount’. Plus, if I do have 20L gas in my fuel tank, the car computer should tell me I got at least 150 kms cruising range instead of usually less than 50 the computer told me.

There was one time the cruising range was down to 8 km and the needle directly pointed to the Empty and I used only 53L gas to fuel up. 53L is enough for a 70L tank??? That made me really really confused. 

Gauge empty doesn't mean empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I'm finding at 55L down the fuel light comes on. As mentioned probably a very good thing to do as electric fuel pumps can potentially burn out if left to run dry - not to mention the inconvenience of running out of fuel.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the fuel light comes on, you have a reserve of 15 litres.

I usually get another 5 litres in the tank after the pump stops first time. I have also noticed a difference with the hi-flow pumps stopping earlier than the normal flow pumps. The most I have refuelled has been about 60 litres so I do accept that the fuel tank capacity of 70 litres is as specified by Toyota.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just drove Melbourne Adelaide return. Wet weather and a slight headwind to Adelaide.

On leaving Melbourne, I filled with 98RON until it spluttered a little out the hole. Pretty full.

We added 95RON 59.95 litres at 755kms. The warning light had been on for a while but it hadn't quite got to 0.

To return, I filled with 95RON 'til it spluttered full. After 745 kms and with the 0 showing for 15 kms I added 58 litres.

Seems I might've gone another 75kms!

tO aDELAIDE, IT GOT DOWN TO 7.6L/100KM..oops..return to Melbourne it was down to 7.3l/100kms.

Edited by boxerboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Toyotas are well known for generous empty light indications. How long were you running with the light on for? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

Yes Toyotas are well known for generous empty light indications. How long were you running with the light on for? 

Usually less than 40 kms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PengNZ said:

Usually less than 40 kms

I hope you aren't doing this too often, you will be slowly but surely killing your fuel pump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

I hope you aren't doing this too often, you will be slowly but surely killing your fuel pump.

Yeah I guess it’s ok for a 2014 model though. I just never bothered to go to gas station very often 😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PengNZ said:

Yeah I guess it’s ok for a 2014 model

No; a burnt out fuel pump means you will be walking until it is fixed. The petrol is cooling the pump so a good reason to refill often. When I go to the petrol station I also refill 3 jerrycans so I can regularly top up the fuel tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, campbeam said:

No; a burnt out fuel pump means you will be walking until it is fixed. The petrol is cooling the pump so a good reason to refill often.

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.