AFC

Do any 2ZZGE owners out there have air fuel controllers and had them tuned? Performance increase??

I was talking with my mate recently and he recommended me to get one, as I have a CAI and exhaust combo.

He said something about having a nice A/F curve to get maximim power. Im not 100% sure on the facts, but in a nutshell the car should be putting enough fuel in and not flooding the engine with excess fuel.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.........

If its worth it from the replies I will consider getting one..............

Yep, that's what the Unichip effectively is, though it does timing as well as A/F.

Gains have definitely been seen... but at the end of the day it's better to get something like a Power FC so you can maximize the lift point as well.

Yep, that's what the Unichip effectively is, though it does timing as well as A/F.

Gains have definitely been seen... but at the end of the day it's better to get something like a Power FC so you can maximize the lift point as well.

how much is the power FC cost?

how much is the power FC cost?

the unit is around $1000-$1400 + install + tuning.

the unit is around $1000-$1400 + install + tuning.

or a bit less... :spiteful::spiteful::spiteful::spiteful::whistling::whistling::clap::clap::clap:

Any confirmation with the fact that tuning in open loop mode will be fine with the sportivo ecu??

I know that in closed loop mode we are completely at its mercy.

I'd rather have the factory econo settings for closed loop mode anyway, there is no need to change these as you aren't pushing the car. In open loop mode is where you are in the zone where gains can be made.

I dont really want to go all out for a standalone ECU, as Im not planning to modify hardcore. Ive been doing some reading, will a A/F controller suffer the same problems as the unichip where some people say the factory ecu overrides the tuned settings over time.

I was thinking of an Apexi unit either the SAFC, VAFC or AFC NEO

Edited by JAZE55

I think all you have to do is tune it in open loop mode as closed loop mode is already fine.

I'm not sure if aggressive tuning will work on open loop mode.......I think Xoom or Rollamods can add some light into this, or alternatively perform a search, I believed its already been covered

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of an Apexi unit either the SAFC, VAFC or AFC NEO

neo 3 is the latest which combines both functions of the older units. if you can afford it get the neo, or find a cheap version 2 unit since it is discontinued or second hand.

although i would say it is quite hard to hit the factory ECU's knock threshold levels with just tweaking the A/F ratios unless you are being stupid and trying to starve the engine or something.

as far as gains go...i think it really depends on how your stock ECU is responding to your mods, and this is something i think people overlook with these cars. I for example had a full 2.5" exhaust sytem and AEM intake on a 1zz corolla and the factory ECU really didnt know how to use those mods to their best potential. The car ran rich in the lower rpm range and leaned out hardcore at anything over 4.5k rpm. When i threw the Power FC in there though i made a gain of 17kw atw peak power, i think some 6kw of which was simply from ironing out the A/F ratios.