Blue_Stivo's not so Blue, not so Stivo...

MR22ZZ

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when I find a suitable engine.

$2500 for an engine right?

that's for just the engine though, I need harness, gearbox etc plus a few extra bits and pieces as well. Which is more like $4000 through King wreck.

I'd rather buy a wreck and strip it down to be honest, that way I know I have all the bits I need.

when I find a suitable engine.

$2500 for an engine right?

that's for just the engine though, I need harness, gearbox etc plus a few extra bits and pieces as well. Which is more like $4000 through King wreck.

I'd rather buy a wreck and strip it down to be honest, that way I know I have all the bits I need.

thats true. something like a half cut?

• 3 months later...

Had a go at sizing up my brake upgrade today :D

Before................................................................After

th_IMG_2255.jpg th_IMG_2258.jpg

th_IMG_2265.jpg th_IMG_2263.jpg

The difference in bracket and piston size... This was only a test fit so I didn't disconnect the brake line.

th_IMG_2256.jpg th_IMG_2257.jpg

I reakon I can fit about a 278mm disc in there ;)

th_IMG_2260.jpg

The current disc just touches the back part of the caliper bracket so I'll either by running spacers behind my chosen disc, or will spend some time searching the DBA list for a compatible hat height.

They are Corolla Sportivo ZZE-123 / Celica ZZT-231 front calipers, and bolt straight up :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sized up the ST185 discs today and :D is all I can say in comment...

here's some pics.

The difference in size of the discs

th_IMG_2267.jpg

Here is the spacing around the caliper bracket, as you can see it's pretty centered as it is

The disc was only held down by 1 bolt, but the disc was flush with the hub and the bolt on caliper side so this is a pretty real measure.

th_IMG_2270.jpg th_IMG_2269.jpg

And this is the finished product... at least how it will look once the discs are finished.

th_IMG_2268.jpg th_IMG_2271.jpg

No spacers required which is fantastic, it all just bolts up.

Now to get the discs drilled to 4x100 and slotted and I'll be a happy chappy.

I'll also like to comment that my car is running so awesome at the moment.

Since I replaced the front suspension struts and put the swaybars in it's made the car feel fantastic to drive on a nice twisty road.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

not a lot of progress.

I have gotten married and moved up to Sydney in the last 6 months and we are saving to buy a place so not a lot of cash to splash around, but I have managed a few things here and there.

I'm looking at fitting a roll cage soon, I've also got a few more brake calipers so I can compare a few fittments and caliper configurations on the front end, also getting some SW20 Turbo rear calipers to allow a vented disc on the rear. I've bought some Velo GP-90 seats to fit, but yet to fit them, and also ungraded to some sticky rubber (Kumho V70A)

hunt for and engine has been put on hold until the current engine dies.

To be honest I'm likeing the little 4A, it lacks in a straight line for sure, but it so much fun around the twisty stuff and so well balanced.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

timely bump...

this has just graced our garage :)

Looks like I'm back in the realm of 2ZZs :D

PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICS :)

P08-04-11_2037.jpg

just landed

P08-04-11_2045.jpg

VIN - according to the stickers on the rad it was built in Sept 2003

Shows it was a South African built Aussie delivered car... but the engines were still made in Japan, that's what matters :D

P08-04-11_2122.jpg

after a short amount of time and a 10 and 12 mm ratchet...

P08-04-11_2133.jpg

this is going to be the fun part

VIN - according to the stickers on the rad it was built in Sept 2003

Shows it was a South African built Aussie delivered car... but the engines were still made in Japan, that's what matters :D

All 2zz' were made in Japan :whistling:

Glad to see things are still progressing on this project.

Can't help on the vehicle history side of things though. All I know is it isn't mine or my dad's old one; only 3498 left to narrow it down from :P

freed the engine and subframe from the body of the halfcut today, thanks to Vito, Rona and Wagonist for their help.

now to tackle the wiring for the body and dash harnesses and then get rid off this corolla frame.

Engine looks awesome though. Despite it being a frontal hit with quite a bit of damage to the frame and sub structure, the engine is perfect other than some small dings in the oil sump.

and Dave, I was lead to believe that all 2ZZs were assembled in Japan and shipped to South Africa/UK/Belgium/US to be fitted...

Oooh, I'm liking this thread....very nice :)

Always had a soft spot for the MR2, so it's good to see one getting some nice treatment :D

• 2 weeks later...

some more updates that I hadn't put up here yet...

engine extraction shennanigans...

unfortunately these are the only photos that didnt come out blurry as ****..

Engine no move? Hammer fixes this

10042011024e.jpg

Obligatory halfcut shot

10042011028.jpg

Dylbo power! With steve driving :P

10042011029.jpg

and because the world loves piccies...

the temporary position of the engine (still on the crane to stay stable)

P18-04-11_212201.jpg

P18-04-11_212202.jpg

The stuff going to scrap...

P18-04-11_2123.jpg

P18-04-11_212301.jpg

more goodies :D

P21-04-11_1746.jpg

Inlet - Duration - Low 276; High 304 - Lift - Low 9.7mm; High 12.5mm

Exhaust - Duration - Low 276; High 296 - Lift - Low 9.7mm; High 11.68mm

productive afternoon...

engine and gearbox have bid each other fairwell temporarilly, as has the engine loom...

bare engine, ready to go on the stand (hopefully it will fit with the clutch still in place)

P22-04-11_1701.jpg

lonely Mr C64...

P22-04-11_1702.jpg

the unfortunate news... it's still open diff, and looks like a standard clutch.

made some good progress today.

Engine is up on the stand, clutch looks fubar, intake has some oil residue in it (front end damage on the car could cause this) but the engine turns over OK and it looks pretty clean under the cam covers.

It's all pretty much pulled down now, time to get polishing, cleaning, and then reinstalling all the new bits to get it running again

P23-04-11_1938.jpg

where it sits now :)

P23-04-11_2048.jpg

The block is becoming smaller and smaller every day... I'm scratching my head trying to work out how this is called 'progress'

Replaced the thermostat today, pulled off the oil pan and washed and prepped the suface for the replacement pan, also pulled off the timing gear to install the replacement oil pump gear... all the timing gear came off pretty easy, but managed to stip the head of screw on the oil pump assembly. I was able to pull it apart with a easy out, and the other screws came out alright, but need to hunt down some replacements before I put everything back together unfortunately. :(

Also decided to bight the bullet and ordered some valves and springs... yep, it's going to rev to spastic RPM... well, above 9,000 anyway. This should make best use of the cams and net me a few more kWs perhaps. So waiting for those to come in will put reassembly of the engine back a few weeks.

So the still required list sits at

clutch

flywheel

gasket kit

LSD

the chains and guides look in good order so don't shouldn't need to replace them just yet.

anyway... pics

P24-04-11_1358.jpg

P24-04-11_1825.jpg

P24-04-11_1826.jpg

P24-04-11_182601.jpg

I also found these rather interesting... I wonder if they fit?

2zzmr2hdr.jpg

i know a bit of history about your front cut, if its the one im thinking of ....it should have had a few wires on the loom near the ecu cut open because they couldnt get it started and decided to play..... and part of an alloy wheel still attatched to the drivers side hub? and no pedal rubbers on the pedals beacuse it had the factory sports pedal which are now on mine smile.gif sorry haha. or it could be a different one! send me a pm if u like

hahaha, yep Dani, that's the one.

I actually had someone ask me if it came with the pedal rubbers. I was not so fussed.

I didn't notice the loom being open, but will take a closer look. At least all the wires are there and in the right place... I hope... it did seem that way.

They couldn't start it because it didn't come with a transponder key, but that didn't bother me, and also meant I got it for quite a bit less than the ususal market price I've seen these go for.

Engine seems pretty clean so far, but there was a bit of sludge on the underside of the tray on the top of the oil pan.