Blue_Stivo's not so Blue, not so Stivo...

MR22ZZ

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate we need to do something about the Hilux stance. Almost as bad a stock Sportivo!! Had a bloke try and hustle me in one of these the other day with a GZE in it.

Poor buggar......

unfortunately my driveway will not let me go much lower then this... it already feels like my ***** scrapes the floor as it is compared to the Corolla :P

the car has high arches, but it's real close to the ground through the mid section.

Looks alright to me mate!

I saw one of these at uni the other day and boy are they TINY! That's some mean power to weight action you've got in mind Dyl... two seats and a 2ZZ :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

MR22ZZ had it's first Wakefield Park session today. Performed remarkably well, lapping around 1:22 going by the times of the cars I was lapping with. I was timed for a few laps by someone on the wall doing 1:24s being conservative behind a Prelude that was holding me up in some corners, but I couldn't round up fast enough on the straight for either of us to be comfortable for the other to go in front.

Once the suspension is refreshed with new bushes all round I'll be heading out again.

Only real incident for the day was the discovery of a tiny hole in my radiator that meant I was slowly losing coolant, but slow enough that there was still plenty left in the reservoir which cut my day short slightly. I was still able to make it home safely with no overheating issues. Cooling system will now be thoroughly flushed and a replacement radiator installed.

roughly 1000kgs... the braking performance of this car is 1000 times better then the Sportivo (which isn't bad mind you) and it's still on stock brakes too :D

I'm really enjoying this car so far.

DPP_0037.jpg

...getting ready to pounce

too bad its NA... the 4AGZE is sooooooo much more fun... happy lil torquey mini ferarri... but its still nice... well done man...

oh n wat's with the plates lol... change em to MR24AG... niice

DPP_0037.jpg

OMG Dylan I need one of those 15" factory Toyota ("Corsa") wheels like on that red hatch... My car came with only 3 intact corners as you know and that's the style of wheel it had on it :(

too bad its NA... the 4AGZE is sooooooo much more fun... happy lil torquey mini ferarri... but its still nice... well done man...

lol, if you think about what his plates mean,he's going to put a 2ZZGE engine out of a sportivo in this baby, hence the MR2 2ZZ, hehehe it will probably tear any aw11 4agze owners asses open anyday once its finished :spiteful:

Chris

lol, if you think about what his plates mean,he's going to put a 2ZZGE engine out of a sportivo in this baby, hence the MR2 2ZZ, hehehe it will probably tear any aw11 4agze owners asses open anyday once its finished :spiteful:

Chris

Actually if Dylan is planning on just putting in a standard 2zz, it really will only be a marginal improvement on a 4agze...with some tinkering and upped boost i have seen the 4agze's pump out around 120kw atw with more torque than a standard 2zz could put out.

So i am going to take a guess that he is going to be perhaps putting in a premade N/A built motor with the suitable cam/rod/piston/valve/crank setup that should scream to a more healthy power delivery. Could get one of these motors for about 8-10k from the US, transplant would cost squat... would be a linear power delivery but 9k rpm and a light chassis should make up for that...should go good. Could try and turbo a stock motor just on low boost, but with the amount of room in the back of the aw11s... would be a REAL nasty job.

Or i could be wrong and he is just putting in a standard 2zz motor... which would be dissappointing :spiteful:

A standard 2ZZ-GE would still rip holes in a 4A-GZE. There's about 60kgs less weight for starters, in fact the 2ZZ is lighter then the 4A-GE too... but your other assumptions would be pretty close to the mark ;)

AW11 4AGZEs were dogs anyway, they were all AFM and make barely more power than a smallport. Go to a MAP-sensored one out of an AE101, and you get something like 20kw extra at the fly, and a much better engine

Mate she is a nice clean example of a MR2. After seeing it at the national meet compared to the size of a Corolla, putting a 2zz in the back it this thing will fly!!!

• 2 months later...

watch this space ;)

things are starting in the modding dept soon.

first on the list is to renew the suspension and steering, starting with a complete set of replacement bushes, tie rods, ball joints and swaybars.

I may even get the car put on a chassis jig to make sure it's perfectly straight before I start anything.

I'll soon have the choice to run on 14, 15 or 16 inches depending on my mood ;) :P

I'm still researching the best way to deal with coilovers and brakes but I have a few ideas to try.

Early in the new year I'll look to buy a ZZT-231 celica wreck and that's when the real fun will start :D

• 3 months later...

Well since writing a thesis gives me way to much procrastination time I thought I share a few of the goings on during that period...

Firstly, the healthy AU$ vs the Yen meant PowerFC was purchased in preparation of the 2ZZ-GE conversion

th_IMG_2030.jpg

I also picked up some nice Super Strut twin piston calipers with 2 sets of discs, one getting a little thin but the other with heaps of meat on it still.

th_IMG_2026.jpg

Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars front and rear. Front has been installed and the rear will go in when I buy the necessary hardware to install it (drop links, bush saddles and necessary bolts)

th_IMG_1971.jpg

My clutch master cylinder has a slow leak, so I bought a replacement through Road and Track in Qld which I'll endevour to fit tomorrow.

th_IMG_2027.jpg

I've also done some research into the exhaust to use.

The standard Toyota headers, even though they are well designed, the firewall on the AW11 does not agree with them. They fit, but the flange where the Cat-converter fits is pointed at the firewall so a slight redesign is required. Weather that means I use the standard ones with the collector repositioned, or look at some custom ones is still up in the air. I've found some that are designed for the US Matrix XRS which may fit but they don't look nearly as sexy as these I found for the Lotus... Unfortunately these would require me to remove the firewall to fit them, and I kind of like the boot space.

th_DSCF1942.jpg

Lastly, the middle is the style of muffler and exhaust tip I'm hoping to use. Again these are designed for the lotus. I think the outlet pipes on these would foul with the rear of the AW11 but there are similar designs out there with 2 outlets on the muffler, one on each side.

th_1257-RADSPORTSILENCERCOLLECTION.jpg

ooooo, looks like things are progressing nicely :toast: Not sure if you mentioned it yet, but do you have the engine and gearbox yet?

I just wish I had the money for the PFC when the dollar was nice and sweet :( All I could afford at the time was Endless pads, but at least I didn't miss out completely...

Edited by SuperDave

yeah I got the PFC when the AU$ was at 106 Yen :D

timed to perfection

no engine and g/b yet, but there are plenty of options at my disposal.

If all else fails I'll just grab one from King Wreck bu I'd prefer to buy one from auction