Blue_Stivo's not so Blue, not so Stivo...

MR22ZZ

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just placed an order on a set of these babies.....

2zzmr2hdr.jpg

hope to god they fit, they look this they will clear the support beam below the rear firewall, but they are designed to fit the 2ZZ conversion into a ZZW30 so no one can guarantee 100% they they will work. Fingers crossed.

Just placed an order on a set of these babies.....

2zzmr2hdr.jpg

hope to god they fit, they look this they will clear the support beam below the rear firewall, but they are designed to fit the 2ZZ conversion into a ZZW30 so no one can guarantee 100% they they will work. Fingers crossed.

Oh wow, they look very sexy, hope they fit for you mate. Best of luck!

I also know someone doing teh conversion into a ZZW30 anyway who may be interested in taking the headers off my hands if they don't fit, and I can go back to PPE with the modifications that need to be made to allow fittment to an AW.

I'm getting 5x 2zz flanges laser cut if you end up needing one. Should only cost a few hundred to get custom headers made to fit your car.

Cheers Jason, will let you know.

This one comes in delivered complete with ceramic coating for $800 ($660 in the raw) so I thought it was worth the gamble.

Would be hard to get one made locally for around that and PPE has a whole heap of experience with making 2ZZ headers that work.

It also helps PPE out to know the issues, if any for the conversion into AW11 which is becoming more popular.

Just putting this here for future reference...

with the power steering delete gear, no A/C and the MWR water pump overdrive pulley a 6PK1430 belt is what suits.

Would probably need a 1440 with the Alternator pulley.

• 3 weeks later...

With some help from Vito and not a lot of help from the timing belt mount, the front chassis mount and the A/C lines... the 4A-GE now sits on the garage floor. :D

This is also a largish diffuser I purchased

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

Tried to mock it up today but it seems that the exhaust is not going to allow it to work but we shall see.

I may just end up selling it.

It would work better on a Front engines car I think... unfortunately.

Productive day, 2ZZ now sits in the engine bay.

Template for the timing side mount adapter plate has been designed and will have a mock up made this week before the final mount adapter gets fabricated.

Things that don't work...

most things from teh C52 swap straight across to the C64, the mounts lined up perfectly, what was not so much...

The gearbox side mount doesn't fit if the shifter mechanism is in place, so some of the metal of the shifter plate has to be taken out so I can put that all back in place.

The clutch fork on the C64 is about 50 mm lower than the C52 so I couldn't swap over the brake lines and the bleed line bracket which will make bleeding a pain. I'm still entertaining the idea of swapping over the shifter mechanism to the other side for the gearbox. I have everything I need, I just need to drill a hole in the gearbox housing to fit it.

I'm going to have some fun getting the heater hoses connected, the outlet hose in particular points directly the wrong direction off the block.

Working out how to connect the oil cooler, both in terms of the oil lines and the coolant flow.

I'm sure there's more... I need to take a note bookm down and make a list.

... but the engine is in the bay... pics to come. Vito and Harreh took heaps.

Thanks to Vito, Harreh, Gun Metal, and Wiso for helping out today.

Pics from Vito

Gearbox mounts lined up perfectly

14082011150.jpg

14082011152.jpg

Timing side mount needs a little work, not a huge amount though

14082011157.jpg

14082011154.jpg

Job done for the day

14082011156.jpg

Shouldnt be long before this thing is doing 1:10s at wakefield :D

Headers arrived today... lets just say they were a bit of a squeeze...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm shiny :)

001-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

yes, that's hard up against the firewall... :(

003-1.jpg

collector sits a little bit lot but not too bad.

006-1.jpg

'resting' on the cross beam

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

another 90 degree bend would go nicely here...

009-1.jpg

good clearance to the drive shaft at least.

012.jpg

Sent a message back to PPE to see if they will make another for me with the required modifications, and I'll see if I can sell this one on to someone wanting to do the conversion into a ZZW30.

• 4 weeks later...

bad news... shifter linkage components I need to convert the 6 speed box to MR2 spec will take about 3 more weeks. 2 parts Amayama can't get until the 30th Sept. Why did Toyota have to only sell sequential box ZZW30s in Australia :( would have been so much easier to scrounge bits from a wrecker.

no way this thing is going to be done before the baby :(

in brighter news, it gives me more time to get the mount sorted.

I might buy some off-cut bits from EZI metal tomorrow and do some playing with power tools on the weekend. Fabricators want to charge an arm and a leg for doing the simplest things it seems.

Should make a start on the wiring as well.

... and the drive shafts...

... and installing the solid mounts and replacing the rear bushings...

... and removing the rest fo the aircon stuffs and installing the battery relocation and isolator...

... and sorting out the intake route, though a temporary setup can be made easy enough, but in the longrun I will re-route the intake to the boot space.

... and get the flange welded to the temporary exhaust to bolt up.

... that should just about do it...

... except for getting the cage welded, and the harnesses installed. Bolts and mounting plates are on their way for the harnesses so can be running those without the cage if need be anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

with the mounts made up... engine is back in the engine bay, hopefuly for a more extended period this time.

It's still not sitting on the front torque mount the way I want but I'll play with the mounts tomorrow to balance it all up a bit better.

Clearance around the headers is brilliant. I can fit my hand all the way around it though I will need to be tricky with connecting the exhaust as it looks like the suspension arm mount will get in the way. So I will need some shielding there to protect the bushings.

Pics as always

P19-10-11_1948.jpg

P19-10-11_194801.jpg

You can see my mount adapter plate in the top right corner

Also note the ZZW30 spec (MWR version) side mounted oil level

not tight at all, there's heaps of space. The only tight section was for the headers and with the redesign that's been sorted easy, there is oodles of room in there now.

remember that I don't need to fit a radiator in there ;)

just purchased oil filter sandwich plate and fittings to connect the oil cooler and an oil catch can

going over the diagrams last night I worked out the routing for the cooling system and heater core and teh fuel lines, though still trying to work out a swap from the AW11 charcoal canister to the newer Corolla one.

Anyone know off the top of their head the flow direction through the filter so I can route the cooler in the right direction?

Also need to know the drection of flow through the AW11 heater core... or is this unimportant and can flow both ways?

... now to sus out the wiring...

I need to change the knock sensor from the later model 2ZZ type to the early model one used in the Celica for it to be compatible with the Apexi. The late model one has 2 wires where as the early model one has one wire... need to determine with wire from the late model sensor to connect the early model sensor to...