SB's replacement for the Bullit

SILVABULLIT

Hey all

Well i picked up the replacement for the Sportivo this arvo. It sure as hell is a lot slower but prolly a lot more practical for what I want and need to do these days. Here are a few pics I just snapped in the dark so they aren't really good but will get better ones in daylight. Colour is actuall deep metallic purple although it looks blue.

post-335-1181980746_thumb.jpg post-335-1181980771_thumb.jpg

post-335-1181980836_thumb.jpg post-335-1181980861_thumb.jpg

post-335-1181980901_thumb.jpg post-335-1181980942_thumb.jpg

post-335-1181980966_thumb.jpg post-335-1181980999_thumb.jpg

post-335-1181981026_thumb.jpg

geez thats a tough call.. i still cant make the call over what id really like to drive...

the freedom of a 4wd vs the compact fuel efficiency of a hatchback?!?

really cant bare 2 part with either of em unless i can get the best of both worldz in 1 car (highly unlikely)

edit: took this pic 2nite

then_and_now.jpg

Edited by JJCRU23R

Loving thte 4wd action :D ...it's time for massive fog lights and F* off HID action . :D Give those X5's something to worry about :P

Dont' drive it any different than I did the Sportivo apart from not having to crawl over speed bumps and having to judge bigger gaps in merging traffic as the acceleration isn't quite as good as the Sportivo.

Now what are the CES guys gonna do to this badboy :spiteful: :spiteful: :spiteful:

Let's just say that forced induction prices have been studied and reasearched ATM.....

Nice beast! Looks awesome! I would love to have that in Sydney traffic, no one will cut you off they'll be too scared you'll run over them like a monster truck! :D

Well I Went to CES yesterday and the plan of attack looks like it will go something like this...

Stock XR6 turbo factory intercooler

Stock Nissan S15 200SX Turbo

CES custom manifold and dump pipe

CES exhaust system to suit

dyno tune to adjust injector pump

Doing this on a budget and knowing the right people who already ahve the stuff you need is also a bonus.

So the Hilux will certainly be moving along a lot faster soon......

Well I Went to CES yesterday and the plan of attack looks like it will go something like this...

Doing this on a budget and knowing the right people who already ahve the stuff you need is also a bonus.

And your doing all this to the 2.7L...

This is just my opinion but that engine wasn't designed for up high power it's torquey down low n thats about it, so by throwing a turbo in you'll be going to be working against the grain of the engine. If this was me, a more sensible way to spend my money would be to throw in a 3VZ-FE or 5VZ-FE (or I would have bought the 01-04 SR5 models which had 5VZ-FE's stock).

This is because the VZ series engines are all pretty over built for their appications (with strong internals that can easily handle high power forced induction).

But I understand it's all up to personal preference and you probably want to be unique.

O well I guess ur only option now is to prove me wrong! :P

Good luck with the project anyways SB I love my luxy's

This is just my opinion but that engine wasn't designed for up high power it's torquey down low n thats about it, so by throwing a turbo in you'll be going to be working against the grain of the engine. If this was me, a more sensible way to spend my money would be to throw in a 3VZ-FE or 5VZ-FE (or I would have bought the 01-04 SR5 models which had 5VZ-FE's stock).

This is because the VZ series engines are all pretty over built for their appications (with strong internals that can easily handle high power forced induction).

But I understand it's all up to personal preference and you probably want to be unique.

Mate this is going on a 3.0 diesel!! Didn't want a petrol as i am going to need serious low down torque for towing as well as some decent economy!!

Mate this is going on a 3.0 diesel!! Didn't want a petrol as i am going to need serious low down torque for towing as well as some decent economy!!

I apologise and retract all previous statements!!!

My Dads got this Hilux (although not SR5), and yeah it REALLY needs a turbo (but he wont get one <_< ) :lol:

If you were in Sydney I would have recommended Berrima Diesel for the turbo job... but you live in Qld hey

You going to be 4wd'ing with it? If so Cape York trip is VERY HIGHLY recommended ;)

Make sure you keep us updated on this project!

Edited by grima88

my uncle is a mechanic in mildura....loves his toyotas and has had hiluxs and corollas and landcruisers all his life....i know afew years ago...prob your model he fitted on his own as a trial and then onto heaps on customers cars a turbo system with intercooler etc...i could prob find out some stats if you needed info etc

he isnt a hack either....50 + years experience.....his ride on lawn mower is powered by a datsun 200b motor...runing at 7:1 ration....aeroplane tyres ...etc...flies along..and he works as a head mechanic at the Karatha (prob wrong spelling) gas turbines when they pull them down and do the full rebuildat certain interims...let me know if you want any info

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Are you sure a T28 BB S15 turbo would be the go here mate?

I think they got a .60 (.43 on the RB26 N1 version) exhaust housing which isn't anywhere near big enough for a diesel... are you getting the housing modified at all?

I would also be reconsidering the XR6T stock cooler...from guys that i know who have done a bit of work with the XR6Ts, the stock cooler on them doesn't go very far at all...since the pipework is going to be custom for that anyway, why not just grab a budget bar & plate cooler from JustJap or something? For core only a good size is only around $150 with certainly enough efficiency for your application.

I know you aren't trying to build a race car here, but if you are making a torque producing workhorse you want it to be durable in all sorts of conditions....the proposed setup looks ready to blow at >4k rpm on a hot summer day (yes i know the redline of the car is probably about 4.5k :P)