Radical Starlet Engine swaps

• 2 months later...

20v into ep91- done (lookat austarletclub)

4efte from ep82 into ep91 (australain version of the starlet) seen a few

3sgte into ep82 (import starlet)

2zzge in to ep91 still waiting to be seen better still b18 from a type r would be crazy :spiteful:

• 3 months later...

Man most people do 4EFTE but i have seen the odd 20v in the EP91. But my mate had EP91 starlet and did a conversion he through in a 4EFTE and he did all that for like $2000 and it went pretty hard for wat it was and it look like your average EP91 starlet stock as a rock.

• 1 year later...

2zz-ge would be quite a fine engine in a ep91, how about the supercharged version? This would be a screamer. If I had all the money in the world (and I didn't want to buy another car) I'd like to see one with a rear-mid mounted 2.0L-3.0L V8 with twin turbos and of course either RWD or 4WD or perhaps settle for a natural or twin turbo v6 in the same vein as the renault clio v6. Of course everything would have to upgraded virtually to cope with the power but sure this could all be possible with enough work. Guess you'd have to pretty determined for your Starlet to do such a thing.

2zz-ge would be quite a fine engine in a ep91, how about the supercharged version? This would be a screamer. If I had all the money in the world (and I didn't want to buy another car) I'd like to see one with a rear-mid mounted 2.0L-3.0L V8 with twin turbos and of course either RWD or 4WD or perhaps settle for a natural or twin turbo v6 in the same vein as the renault clio v6. Of course everything would have to upgraded virtually to cope with the power but sure this could all be possible with enough work. Guess you'd have to pretty determined for your Starlet to do such a thing.

Why would anybody bother though? It would be an absolutely stupid waste of money.

I love cars and love spending money on them, but something like that is just ridiculous.

a waste of money would be a 1jz in a paseo, would like to see no traction on that.

but IMO, i would buy one with the engine in it already or do it yourself, (picked up a friends project car for cheap as when he moved over seas)

a waste of money would be a 1jz in a paseo, would like to see no traction on that.

but IMO, i would buy one with the engine in it already or do it yourself, (picked up a friends project car for cheap as when he moved over seas)

You can't put a 1JZ into a Paseo full stop.

2zzge in to ep91 still waiting to be seen better still b18 from a type r would be crazy :spiteful:

Now I don't know how much room their is to work with in a Starlet, but the 2zz wont fit into the Echo, so doubt it would make it into a Starlet.

Where's your sense of modding adventure? :P

Does the engine have to be connected to the car, or just sitting in it?

i reckon you can fit a 2j engine in it, just remove the firewall, mount the seat behind the b pillar and ahve some of the engine in the cabin hehehe. Like that focus with a lambo engine running around brisbane somewhere

i reckon you can fit a 2j engine in it, just remove the firewall, mount the seat behind the b pillar and ahve some of the engine in the cabin hehehe. Like that focus with a lambo engine running around brisbane somewhere

How are you going to fit all the driveline in?

Now I don't know how much room their is to work with in a Starlet, but the 2zz wont fit into the Echo, so doubt it would make it into a Starlet.

Where's your sense of modding adventure? :P

Does the engine have to be connected to the car, or just sitting in it?

ive seen the 1zre motor in a yaris and im sure there similare to the 2zz in the way it is mounted

Why would anybody bother though? It would be an absolutely stupid waste of money.

I love cars and love spending money on them, but something like that is just ridiculous.

As said in my post it'd certainly be ambitious, would cost a lot of money and you'd need to be pretty determined for the Starlet. Yes, common sense would dictate you simply get a car that would handle the power much better and would provide several other benefits at the same time. It is no more redeclious however than say a Renault Clio V6 which essentially loses its backseats and most of its boot space (therefore losing a main benefit of such a car). On YouTube I also saw a supercharged version, this is definately no less redeclious than the ideas I mentioned. Also you have AMG-Mercedes cars which use Twin Turbo V12 engines even though you could just as easily get as much fun and virtually as much performance out of the Supercharged V8 version. Then Brabus come along and enlarge the engine and turbos yet again. Also the post was called "Radical Starlet engine swaps" so I thought I'd just give my 2 cents. The only realistic mod I would think of is perhaps a direct injected turbocharged 1.6L i4 engine therefore providing much more performance without being necessarily radical. Of course other upgrades would also need to be done.

It is no more redeclious however than say a Renault Clio V6 which essentially loses its backseats and most of its boot space (therefore losing a main benefit of such a car).

Difference is the Clio V6 are factory, shame they never sold them here :(

If the V6 version is anything like the Sport version (2L engine) they are a pain in the ***** to work on. Just to change oil filters requires pulling half the fuel rail off. Classic case of big engine little car syndrome.

It is no more redeclious however than say a Renault Clio V6 which essentially loses its backseats and most of its boot space (therefore losing a main benefit of such a car).

If the V6 version is anything like the Sport version (2L engine) they are a pain in the ***** to work on. Just to change oil filters requires pulling half the fuel rail off. Classic case of big engine little car syndrome.

Just like working on a freaking 350Z. Hours and hours just to get one manifold off, even then you have to be a tetris pro to get them out.

I have also wondered how you would work on a Porsche 911 engine. Seeing the boot open with that engine makes me wonder just how hard the job must be for the mechanics, especially with its flat design. Just looks so awkward in there. Also speaking of Starlets however, has anyone noticed how far apart 1st and 2nd are apart on the stock 5 speed trans? Most of the time its not a issue but sometimes you notice that 2nd doesn't start to kick in until after 40 and doesn't really push hard until after 60 by this time 1st is already out. Of course in Toyota style the engines torque peak is not until 4300rpm which doesn't help things. Thankfully the car is light enough and the engine strong enough that ordinarally these dont become major issues.