Has this ever happen to any sportivo owners ?

srr

Last week.. while i was driving toward the City in Sydney. My engine just shutdown, although I was going at a slow speed, I was 99% sure I didnt stalled the car (e.g. clutch). so i had to pull over and shut the engine off and then on again. It started fine.

This is after the recall... it only happned once.. tho.

just want to see if anyone else had that happened.

Yes mate. Peekay has experienced the same issue. Toyota have his car and said the diagnostics recorded some strange MAF sensor readings.

Take it to your dealer and have the car put on diagnostics to see if it recorded a similiar issue!

I hope this is not a pattern starting to form after Peekay's car and the strange MAF readings rollamods took.

This has happened twice for me and twice for the mechanic at Toyota who is working on the car, completely shutting down. It aslo has happened at various speeds but only momentarily over the past few months. I was waiting till it occured but more consistently before I took it to the dealer, but then total shut down occured.

I was talking to some one who imports parts from the UK tonight and it has happened on some of the Lotus cars that have this motor as well. Apparently they use the same ECU that the Corolla uses, the guy I spoke to said Lotus may design a new ECU to replace the Toyota unit if it still occurs. It gives me no comfit when the diag tool the mechanic was using detects no problems when it happens either.. :blink::blink: :( :( :(

the MAF in the sportivo is a similar design to the Subaru MAF in the WRX's which also plays up some time after installing a CAI, I'm trying to source some technical details about the reason the MAF cage (white plastic thing with the grill on the front) was included in the intake.

In the Subaru's the MAF can cost $800 to replace, or $140 if you just purchase the individual sensor itself. Subaru stopped covering the MAF under warranty on car's that had pods/CAI's/Intake mods performed. You can sometimes remove the MAF and spray it with some electrical contact cleaner as a temporary fix.

Ask Toyota to try a new MAF sensor and you will most likely find that the problem will go away for 10-20,000K's

Guys I know this may come out of left field, but has anyone tried tuning these things without a MAF?

I currently have a VY SS ute, which has been tuned MAF-less (maf removed) via accessing the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor. This tuning method has proven itself time and time again to extract more power than a MAF based setup.

I know its drawing a long bow, but if there is a problem with MAF's once you start changing CAI etc, I wonder if it could be tuned MAFless instead?

Food for thought anyway.

JC

the Denso ECU's are a lot harder for aftermarket tuners to crack, which is why you rarely see it done outside Japan. I wasn't aware of the 1Z or 2Z running a MAP sensor aswell, with the SS you can use LS1 Edit to reprogram the stock ECU but people dont have that luxury with toyota ECU's.

On the Subaru's they now use ECUteK to reprogram the stock ECU's but they still cant change from MAF to MAP.