2001 sportivo 7afte versus the 03-05 sportivo 2zzge.

I have thought to myself maybe as a cheaper option i might be able to find a nicely priced stock 2001 model sportivo. I know it is going to be hard but i might have one lined up with low kilometres. Only thing i'm awaiting is how much the old girl wants for her turbo sportivo, i'm hoping under $14000.

So i'm after a bit of information and constructivce criticism from some of you blokes who know about these turbo models. Basically how they hold up against the 03-05 sportivos

Firstly i understand the engine is boosted with a small IHI turbo not sure how much boost it runs standard but i'm guessing something low like 6-8psi. If so is this easilly modifiable by a boost controller. I guess the question is how much boost can this engine take also considering the internals are apparently the same as the stock 7afe (no forged pistons). I have read injectors and a few things on the exhaust manifold are different and also the ECU, beefed up clutch as well i heard. I'm thinking maybe there is greater potential for more power at a cheaper rate in this car compared to the 2zzge.

Another question is although this power output is only 115kws compared to 141kws does the apparent extra torque of the turbo help with being able to keep with a 2zzge or will the 2ZZ eat it alive.

Any information would be great thanks guys.

I have thought to myself maybe as a cheaper option i might be able to find a nicely priced stock 2001 model sportivo. I know it is going to be hard but i might have one lined up with low kilometres. Only thing i'm awaiting is how much the old girl wants for her turbo sportivo, i'm hoping under $14000.

So i'm after a bit of information and constructivce criticism from some of you blokes who know about these turbo models. Basically how they hold up against the 03-05 sportivos

Firstly i understand the engine is boosted with a small IHI turbo not sure how much boost it runs standard but i'm guessing something low like 6-8psi. If so is this easilly modifiable by a boost controller. I guess the question is how much boost can this engine take also considering the internals are apparently the same as the stock 7afe (no forged pistons). I have read injectors and a few things on the exhaust manifold are different and also the ECU, beefed up clutch as well i heard. I'm thinking maybe there is greater potential for more power at a cheaper rate in this car compared to the 2zzge.

Another question is although this power output is only 115kws compared to 141kws does the apparent extra torque of the turbo help with being able to keep with a 2zzge or will the 2ZZ eat it alive.

Any information would be great thanks guys.

i dont know much about that sportivo

onlyheard it wasnt that good

but dont know for sure '

The problem with that model sportivo is the internals haven't be strengthen whatsoever so upping the boost is not a very good idea. The major weakness in the 7AFE is the conrods itself, so if you do intend to boost it up a bit you would be looking about a stronger bottomend. Might even try swapping to a 4agze head/bottom end and use the 7A block for larger displacement.

I'm pretty sure that the Turbo Sportivo wouldn't be able to keep up with the zze123 sportivo.

Turbo cars generally are more better to modify in terms of bang for your buck, unfortunately they(Toyota) didn't intend it to be a performance engine. All they did was slap an intercooled turbo onto a stock 7A.

Prolly nice to drive around town though with all that torque on tap at such low rpm.

Hiya!

I own a 2001 Sportivo Turbo (since January 06), and I love it, and although I have recently had the engine and the turbo replaced :whistling: (under warranty), and parts for the car are horribly expensive, and some not available...I still love it

Standard boost is 8psi and you wouldn't want to run much more through it, I don't think it would be able to handle it... my ECU has been re-mapped (which was effective but I'm not sure how long the old engine would have lasted with it that way) I had it brought back to stock when I had the engine replaced.

Parts Cost: to replace the original clutch is $5000 from Toyota, so an aftermarket heavy duty was the way I went, the exhaust manifold gasket was $520 and the exhaust manifold itself was around $2300 from memory....the reason parts are so expensive is because there was only 110 of them made and 10 were crashed in mandatory crash testing...

It has it's good points but interior components aren't going to be around much longer and although mine was somewhat of a lemon and I've had a mountain of bad luck, Toyota Extra Care Warranty is fantastic and have replaced everything that faulted (current repair bill is somewhere around $16,000 and has spent 235 days in service),

A major mod that is at the top of my list is the air intake, it travels way too far around the engine bay....

The Turbo that it runs stock, is quite tiny and when boost hits (around 1800rpm) you get the take off, the boost, tons of torque steer and the wheels spin, it was a pretty aggressive car, but when the turbo was replaced with a bigger IHI turbo the spooling takes a bit longer so at about 3200 rpm it kicks in which gives you the normal take off and then the boost kicks in and you're cruising it eats up the road and almost everything on it :) but hey, I'm a leadfoot :)

Depending on how you drive it, it can keep up and pass just about anything :ph34r: , but if I had to choose again now knowing what I know, I would probably go with an 03 Sportivo :)

If I can be of any help, send me a PM :)

Lesley

Well i found out this particular sportivo has 75000kms and the old bird is willing to let it go for around $15000. I think i might be better off with a newer car and with something with lower kilometres. This car is stock as well. If i did purchase it i would be saving a good $3-4k compared to an 03-05 sportivo. Not sure if it is really worth it.

not worth it just for the ugly gold colour :P

seriously, nothing against the older sportivo but the 03+ sportivo's are just leagues ahead everywhere that matters.

Dylan's sportivo is now officially the worlds biggest bargain.... might be worth looking into that, especially for one thats one of the quickest standard stivo's

seriously, nothing against the older sportivo but the 03+ sportivo's are just leagues ahead everywhere that matters.

...apart from the suspension :P

agreed, but easily fixed :P

agreed, but easily fixed :P

how so...?

I think he's referring to IRS vs Torsion beam...

perform the same mods to an AE and it will still handle better ;)

Of course you could always fix that nasty torsion beam with a grinder, zip ties and hotglue :ph34r:

I agree, Dylans is just stupidly good value for moolah atm.

I cloned miniature Chuck Norris's and installed them instead of coilovers.

I win, you fail Jason. PHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

...ail

perform the same mods to an AE and it will still handle better ;)

Of course you could always fix that nasty torsion beam with a grinder, zip ties and hotglue :ph34r:

Agreed, having driven both a ZZE122 and an AE102, I can safely say that I infinitely prefer the setup of the 102

way ahead of u Jason ;)

cept im utilising the greatest invention of all - gaffa tape