GPS units

Dead

I did a search on this topic and found a thread with a colourful placard of opinions as always. I noted the TomTom and Navman brands. I'm only looking to grab one dirt cheap, that is basic to use (but not a pain in the **** lol). I'm only doing this for any future sydney trips I have, as the CBD road map is a KENNNNTTTTT.

Anything you guys can recommend? (I'm looking at you Phil lol)

What kind? In dash or portable?

I'll only be using it when I'm going to sydney dude. No way I'm screwing around with an in dash one. Portable with one of those awesome looking suction cup thingies (*points finger down throat*)

Just simple and accurate, but not buggy and a pain in the **** to operate basically.

got a navman f20.. wont say they r brilliant but these unit def better then those thick heavy book :P

if ur not lookin into spending too much f20 might do the job or some random brand may do the job or else get the n40 (i think its n40 :P) pretty gd value for money :D

got a navman f20.. wont say they r brilliant but these unit def better then those thick heavy book :P

if ur not lookin into spending too much f20 might do the job or some random brand may do the job or else get the n40 (i think its n40 :P) pretty gd value for money :D

Cheers dude I'll have a geez ;)

I would have to say the tom tom is the most user friendly and is very accurate and is always updating its software so you just plug it into your PC and update it b4 you go on a big trip. It also tells you when you are coming to a speed camera. I think is the best bang for your buck Unless you need a new phone then get one of those nokia's with the built in gps

Edited by PICCOLO

Cheers guys, looks like I'll be having a geez at some TomTom's then. I still don't know how a guy with a white supra can be used as a navigational device, but anyhow...

The speed camera feature is very much a nice addition, esp with all these new ones popping up in Canberra.

I've already got a phone so I might go this route. Cheers again.

Has anyone compared the GPS units between the Nokia 6110 and the Nokia N95? If so, any difference?

havent seen it on the n95 but a work collegue's wife works for Nokia and i got to play with the 6110 a little...

cant say i would use it as a dedicated GPS unit but it's handy if u need a quick search. I found it was slow to react and took a while to connect to satellites as well as dropping out in the city/crowded area

im also under the impression the data transfer rates come off ur phone bill? maybe someone else can confirm..

there are plenty of cheapy GPS units about- strathfield, JB and tandy would be good places to start.

do you have a PDA? a second hand ipaq (100$) and a GPS receiver off ebay (70$) along with some *cough* TomTom software is what im using

^with those bluetooth GPS receiver, if you trying to use them in or near high rise buildings, it's very hard to connect to the satellites! (happened to me, switched the GPS receiver off, then turning it on after 30mins later, couldn't connect...but once we were outside CBD we were connected.

but the only major difference between a mobile phone GPS n a Portable GPS System, the Portable GPS System has better/stronger satellites receiver. What i mean by this is that, if you're inside your house, with the bluetooth GPS receiver you won't be able to connect, while the Portable GPS might give you 1-2 satellites and yet it still can calculate your route.

Has anyone compared the GPS units between the Nokia 6110 and the Nokia N95? If so, any difference?

havent seen it on the n95 but a work collegue's wife works for Nokia and i got to play with the 6110 a little...

cant say i would use it as a dedicated GPS unit but it's handy if u need a quick search. I found it was slow to react and took a while to connect to satellites as well as dropping out in the city/crowded area

im also under the impression the data transfer rates come off ur phone bill? maybe someone else can confirm..

there are plenty of cheapy GPS units about- strathfield, JB and tandy would be good places to start.

do you have a PDA? a second hand ipaq (100$) and a GPS receiver off ebay (70$) along with some *cough* TomTom software is what im using

I'm due for a new phone real soon and wanted to know if the GPS on these phones were adequate enough for my needs. I can't justify myself spending $300 on a gps unit that I'll only use once every few months. If it's good enough for an address search and showing me the path via voice commands, then it's good enough :)

I do have a PDA but never really considered a GPS add on for it. The add-ons were quite expensive. Might have a look around Ebay.

Brandon, Daz, I own one (6110) and I would agree with most of what Daz has said.

Dedicated GPS Unit? No way. Need to find somewhere or something everynow and then? Perfect.

Slow to react - Yes.

Slow to connect to satellites - Depending where you are but yes

Dropping out - Never happened to me, but im sure it could happen.

Also, i've been told that the usage of the system comes off onto your phone bill, but when I was buying it i spoke to the optus man and i asked him several times if there were any costs involved and he said no. And to date, I havent paid anything. So i would say its free.....

anyways... i stand by my original claim - Not that good for dedicated GPS, but awesome phone with a feature that has helped me numerous times.

1 thing though, get a car charger if u wanna use the GPS cos it does use a fair bit of battery power ;)

As far as I am aware, Optus (who I am with) provides absolutely nothing for the GPS to function in my phone (6110), you can even set your phone to offline mode and still use GPS. Therefore Optus have no right to charge anything for me to use GPS as it isn't them provideing it, but NavTec.

The Nokia N95 uses the same software for it's GPS, so it should be identical, but it has a larger screen.

I find mine great, but slow to connect. I would highly recommend it to someone who is after a new phone and GPS and only wants to use it occasionally.

My GPS when first fiddling around with it would take sooooo long to find some satellites. But i've found that after using it a few more times it likes to connect heaps quicker now which is good.

Tom tom have their software for the symbian phones (N95, N73 those types etc.) although it doesnt yet work with the internal GPS reciever..although they are releasing the version that will work very soon..and it will be *ahem* floating around ;)

hey people i still wanna know how i can get my Tom Tom XL to show me speed cameras and red light cameras. do i have to pay for the service or is there another way to get it to show me the cameras?

hey people i still wanna know how i can get my Tom Tom XL to show me speed cameras and red light cameras. do i have to pay for the service or is there another way to get it to show me the cameras?

it's for free... call up tomtom or send them an email for it, and they will send u an email as a reply, with the settings, all you gotta do is to upload it...

but tomtom will take their time... @.@~ took them 2 weeks to send the settings to me