Fuel Types Performance & Efficiency

NXT

As a proud owner of a 2007 ZRE152R Corolla Accent 6 speed manual, I'm a bit weary about the engine performance the car. Its true that the new model is now heavier than the model it replaces and has affected the cars performance and fuel consumption.

Lately I have been filling the car up with either Shell Unleaded 95 and United PLUS ULP (with 10% ethanol). Both of which I have not seen in real improvements to the performance of engine. I usually get about 7.6L/100km to 7.8L/100km. Later down the track I'll be filling it up with BP Ultimate and see how that goes.

Are there any other 2007 ZRE152R Corolla owners who have made any performance gains from filling up with other peformance fuel?

true the new model is heavier than the previous model. about 200 something odd kgs more.

however ive heard (on 2CH AM radio - they usually have auto reviews of new models released in australia on saturdays) that theyve managed to retain fuel efficiency even with the added weight.

i owned a levin sx, its true that its heavier, but you are getting a few extra 7kw of power, so that makes up for it. Fuel aint too bad...i'm still getting 9.2L/100km on my clock..but its gradually coming down. jsut hope it will hit the stated 7.6l range..i just use shell unleaded

i owned a levin sx, its true that its heavier, but you are getting a few extra 7kw of power, so that makes up for it. Fuel aint too bad...i'm still getting 9.2L/100km on my clock..but its gradually coming down. jsut hope it will hit the stated 7.6l range..i just use shell unleaded

How do you know that you are getting an extra 7kw of power from using Shell Unleaded? What type of Shell Unleaded fuel are you referring to? Has anyone tried ethanol fuel yet in their car?

How do you know that you are getting an extra 7kw of power from using Shell Unleaded? What type of Shell Unleaded fuel are you referring to? Has anyone tried ethanol fuel yet in their car?

Sorry, I actually comparing to previous model of corolla which is only 93kw....

As for the fuel...i have no idea

I only use BP fuel because its cleaner than Shell and Caltex fuel. I also have a 07 Corolla 6-speed Manual. My average fuel usage is 8.2L/100km according to the car odometer

I only use BP fuel because its cleaner than Shell and Caltex fuel. I also have a 07 Corolla 6-speed Manual. My average fuel usage is 8.2L/100km according to the car odometer

how do you know bp fuel is cleaner than shell, caltex and how did you test this??

how do you know bp fuel is cleaner than shell, caltex and how did you test this??

x2!!! That's an outrageous claim.

I just did nearly 650km on a tank of Vortex 98, calculated around 7.8L/100 km. That's after warming my car up for 5 mins every morning, driving in peak hour to uni everyday and revving to redline in 1st and 2nd gear fairly regularly.

Hey I just go by what I read. I found that I get a few more K's out of BP fuel than everywhere else, and Im happy with that fuel so I stick with that fuel.

Im not saying that the other fuel is bad

I have found this on my car. My weekly trip is the same each week and is uneffected by traffic. These figures are averages of 5+ tanks.

Shell 98: 7.3L/100km (old formula)

Shell 100: 6.8L/100km (V-Power Racing)

BP 98: 6.8L/100km

The only variance is time of year, with the Shell 98 being used in autum and the BP 98 currently being used in spring. I will be swtiching to Caltex 98 soon to see how it compares. But these values are by no means scientific and are only a very rough guide to what I get.

Edited by SuperDave

I just did nearly 650km on a tank of Vortex 98, calculated around 7.8L/100 km. That's after warming my car up for 5 mins every morning, driving in peak hour to uni everyday and revving to redline in 1st and 2nd gear fairly regularly.

I'm getting anywhere between 600-700k's(Normally pull 650 if not too much thrashing about) from a full tank of V-Power, warming up every morning, driving in traffic, quite a bit of lift too!

I prefer to put v-power in my car, after using fuels like caltex vortex and bp ultimate or whatever, and then putting in some V-power, i can instantly feel a bit of difference, my engine feels like its revving more freely or something.

I usually get about 650 - 700km from a tank of BP ultimate. On my trip to Sydney, got from northside Brisbane to Just South of Port Macquarie (BP on highway) with just over a 1/4 tank left. that was driving over night, so no traffic except trucks, that would be around 800km off the tank if i went till empty.

I'm getting anywhere between 600-700k's(Normally pull 650 if not too much thrashing about) from a full tank of V-Power, warming up every morning, driving in traffic, quite a bit of lift too!

I prefer to put v-power in my car, after using fuels like caltex vortex and bp ultimate or whatever, and then putting in some V-power, i can instantly feel a bit of difference, my engine feels like its revving more freely or something.

I do feel Shell V-Power rev better compare with Caltex too...even on stock 1zzfe :)

Also, drive by wire corolla (early model till 05) also got 100KW engine.

Edited by kelvinsw

i have been using v power for 2months now, and when i warm my car up in the garage(garage door open) and i hardly can smell any fume, so i reckon its fairly clean, and v power had this friction protection or what ever they calls it, anyone know what that is

As a proud owner of a 2007 ZRE152R Corolla Accent 6 speed manual, I'm a bit weary about the engine performance the car. Its true that the new model is now heavier than the model it replaces and has affected the cars performance and fuel consumption.

Lately I have been filling the car up with either Shell Unleaded 95 and United PLUS ULP (with 10% ethanol). Both of which I have not seen in real improvements to the performance of engine. I usually get about 7.6L/100km to 7.8L/100km. Later down the track I'll be filling it up with BP Ultimate and see how that goes.

Are there any other 2007 ZRE152R Corolla owners who have made any performance gains from filling up with other peformance fuel?

realistically speaking...the brands of fuel (whether BP, Caltex or Shell) and classes of fuel (92, 95, 98, ethanol) do not contribute that much to performance (power) and efficiency (fuel consumption ratios).

Yes, slight changes in performance and/or efficiency are possible, but they are far beyond the magnitude to make some "real differences", such as making the rolla like a V8 or consuming below 7L/100km. Rolla's enginer are only 4 cylinders after all...

However, one significant difference that the brands and type of fuel can make is the protection of your engine. 98 petrols (such as V-power and Ultima) release exhausts that are 30~50 times LESS carbon than 92, and 20~35 times LESS carbon than 95. That will mean a far less level of carbon residue to your piston and other moving parts of the engine

In a simple laboratory experiment we have conducted, feeding 92, 95 and 98 petrols to a simple Villiers Engine (the foundamental engine that all car engines bulid on) and let the engine run for 6 hours at 2000rpm. At the end of 6 hours:

* 92 petrol: wears and scratches are eye-visible on most moving parts

* 95 petrol: wears and scratches are microscopic on some moving parts

* 98 petrol: same as 95, but the severity of damages is less

Usually performance and efficiency are trade-offs, it is very hard to get both with current technology.

If you prefer performance more than efficiency... then there are many options such as CAI, bore-up or even turbo charges

If you prefer efficiency more than performance... then...probably drive slower is the only option...@.@

So yeah...hope this can help you...

i have been using v power for 2months now, and when i warm my car up in the garage(garage door open) and i hardly can smell any fume, so i reckon its fairly clean, and v power had this friction protection or what ever they calls it, anyone know what that is

V-power is more dense than other commercial petrols on the market

That's why when it is combusted, it also protects the rubbing parts in the piston and enhance a more complete combustion

The additives in the petrol also helps against wears and damages, such as the slight amount of extremely-long-chained alcohol groups and isotops of octane

if you are keen to know the exact ingredient...take about 20ml of petrol to any high school or university ...and do a titration of organic compounds...but keep away from fire!! :blink: