read this review on o-100 time

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude... get over 0-100... It is not the be all and end all of performance... and if you dont want people to rag on your family car and say it's slow, then don't buy a family car in the first place...

thanks for your advice. I aimed and deliberate to buy a car that looked like a family car, but it is going to be a sleeper later on. To trick people on road. just as I did with my previous civic sedan(with b18c). Some v8 and wrx stopped at lights and asked me--is that turbo charged......thats the whole game I am playing....stay in tune.

Edited by chopin

You also have to understand that different journalistic bodies (ie newspapers, car company press releases, magazines) use different testing procedures. 0-100km/h times vary significantly based on number of passengers, tyres used, how much fuel is in the tank, is it done in both directions, whats the ambient and track temperature etc etc. I know for a fact that both Motor and Wheels do ALL their time testing with two people in the car and a full tank of fuel (a hark back to the old days where they needed one person to drive the car and the other to run the computer logging the data. This way they can compare data over the years)

He doesn't state it can only do 0-100 in 11 seconds.....

"Toyota says the manual Corolla gets from 0-100km in 9.7 seconds and has a fuel economy of 7.4L/100km (using 91 RON fuel), however in reality unless you are going to be brutal on take off and on the gearbox, the 0-100 times are going to be around the 11 second mark. In other words, incredibly slow."

He's saying in real world driving this is what you would expect unless you drive it at its hardest which is true. At the end of the day it's an economy spec 4cyl car and you don't buy it if you want a performance car...

You also have to understand that different journalistic bodies (ie newspapers, car company press releases, magazines) use different testing procedures. 0-100km/h times vary significantly based on number of passengers, tyres used, how much fuel is in the tank, is it done in both directions, whats the ambient and track temperature etc etc. I know for a fact that both Motor and Wheels do ALL their time testing with two people in the car and a full tank of fuel (a hark back to the old days where they needed one person to drive the car and the other to run the computer logging the data. This way they can compare data over the years)

Unless this has changed over the last few years, Motor and Wheels had very different testing methodologies.

Wheels tried to get a time that an average person could achieve. They had two people in the car, half tank of gas, 25kg suitcase in the back and importantly they didn't abuse the drivetrain.

Motor on the other hand were all about getting the absolute fastest time possible. Driver only, near empty tank and no drivetrain sympathy at all (think redline clutch drops in a WRX).

Motor times are consistently quicker than Wheels times and this is why.

However these were their stated methodologies a few years back and could have changed.

how about for the 1ZZ-FE, same 100kw...is the old vvti corolla 5 speed faster than new dual vvti 6 speed?

on paper yes, but in real life and depends on o-100 or in gear accleration. for the 6 spped, the gear ratio is closer and its dural vvti at all engine speed., it should be faster in gear accleration. for 0-100 all depnds on the driver I suppose?

for the 6 spped, the gear ratio is closer

Is there a spreadsheet/list of gear ratios so I can confirm this???

Reason: the 1ZZ 5-speed ratios are much closer than the Sportivo 6-speed... dubious about the new 6-speed having closer ratios

Edited by Tayles

Reason: the 1ZZ 5-speed ratios are much closer than the Sportivo 6-speed... dubious about the new 6-speed having closer ratios

yes, I have done all researchs. Check, the internet toyoya on 2007 model....

yes, I have done all researchs. Check, the internet toyoya on 2007 model....

2007 Corolla

1 3.116:1

2 1.904:1

3 1.310:1

4 0.969:1

5 0.815:1

6 0.725:1

Final 4.529:1

2003 Corolla

1 3.166:1

2 1.904:1

3 1.310:1

4 0.969:1

5 0.815:1

6 -

Final 4:312:1

Only the Final ratio's differ and not by much....

Chopin,

F*** ME IN THE BEARD! ITS A COROLLA! it was not designed to be quick, it was not designed with 0-100 in mind. Just cos its a 6 speed doesn't make it quick, besides the notion behind the new box was for improved fuel economy. Why didn't you just stick with the Honda's seeming they were so quick? There is no point bagging out the Corolla because of its 0-100 time nor is it worth saying that you are some "sicker" that can do 1-100 times that put stivo's to shame.

No offense... but build a bridge, cross it, then burn it behind you.

all factory corollas are family cars, the sportivo is no exception, its just a family car that goes half decent, but i still wouldnt class a factory stivo as a performance car

OH NO U DIDNT !!!!!!!! BAN HIS A.S.S ..... hahahahahahahahaha

i love this attitude ..... this is what makes it all the more enjoyable when i pass someone with this going through their mind :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

all factory corollas are family cars, the sportivo is no exception, its just a family car that goes half decent, but i still wouldnt class a factory stivo as a performance car

OH NO U DIDNT !!!!!!!! BAN HIS A.S.S ..... hahahahahahahahaha

i love this attitude ..... this is what makes it all the more enjoyable when i pass someone with this going through their mind :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Oh yes i diiiiiid, doesnt apply to your car though, notice how i said factory, your sportivo and my ae82 are far from factory.

and is regards to passign someone thinking corollas are ****, yours looks quick, lol all people i pass see is a stock lookign white ae82 corolla with a black rear bar, LOL oh yeh ive broken alot of spirits

Edited by Poggy