One 10 inch or two?

Dead

Harro dere guys and gals

If you've seen my ride thread you'd notice that I'm forking out a fair bit for a high quality stereo this year in a few months.

As it stands, I'll be having a single 10 inch Ecclipse in a custom fibreglass box tucked in behind the right rear light. I've been told this will provide enough bass.

Now I'm really considering going all out with this and having a second put in behind the left rear taillight just because I can :P

I do like a lot of hard hitting bass these days, especially having grown fond of some of the electronica scene.

Any comments appreciated guys.

Harro dere guys and gals

If you've seen my ride thread you'd notice that I'm forking out a fair bit for a high quality stereo this year in a few months.

As it stands, I'll be having a single 10 inch Ecclipse in a custom fibreglass box tucked in behind the right rear light. I've been told this will provide enough bass.

Now I'm really considering going all out with this and having a second put in behind the left rear taillight just because I can :P

I do like a lot of hard hitting bass these days, especially having grown fond of some of the electronica scene.

Any comments appreciated guys.

I wouldn't dude. Even though i don't know you or your taste in music so well, I know you are, or used to be, interested in alternative rock/songwriters (eg Billy Corgan and co)

I have just come out of an electronica phase, recently coming out of a happy hardcore fixation. Sure its novel and all, but the constant doof, and the offbeat bass stabs between every count, eventually just kill my ears. Then when you put on something delicate, or really technical, you find the notes you want to hear dont sound as prominent as you remember them (Eg Norah Jones or, on the other hand, Symphony X).

I know i prefer bass as more of a counterbalancing measure... so shrill guitar solos dont sound so tinny, and string layers in the background are pumped up a bit - in short, bass to maintain the fullness of the sound, rather than pump synthesised drumbeats to the forefront of the mix.

If you wanna devise your own series of EQ settings for different musics to counter that problem, then i guess go ahead. For me, I wouldn't be trying to broadcast my music to the world - therefore one sub is enough, especially if its good quality anyway.

My 2 cents...

(PS - if you're not pumping out Puritania, then the sub is wasted :P )

Edited by Leroy

A bit of a toughie this one.

Generally I would stick with one high quality sub rather then two high quality subs. No two speakers sound the same and they might work against each other.

I don't know much about your current eclipse sub. But if its anywhere near the Boston Acoustics G5 or IDQ(MAX?) range of speakers then I'm pretty sure its all the quality and base you need. Anything higher really is following the law of diminishing return.

Cheers guys. I see a pattern emerging.

The gear I'm going for basically the top end'ish of the entry level gear. Then it goes into the crazy competition crap so I've been told. Too much bass could quite kill the system yesh...

Even the guys helping me said 1 is enough lol.

haha people i just recently put a Kicker solo baric L7 12inch into my car. its in a original kicker box. the downside is i literally have no boot. i mean none wat so ever. i never use my boot anymore but do i love the pure sexi bass. its probably not right to say this but the kicker goes off so hard that i nearly made a chik have an orgasm in the front seat. lollllll

I went for the 10" because I listen to different stuff ay. Some of the dance stuff I listen to, as well as rammstein and pumpkins etc will go well on that.

I dunno the 10" seemed to have a more... tight feel to it?

That's the box though dude. It sure is ;)

I went for the 10" because I listen to different stuff ay. Some of the dance stuff I listen to, as well as rammstein and pumpkins etc will go well on that.

good choice buddy.

hmm... A ten would be slightly tighter, however how they make the box can change the tightness quite a lot (hahaha that sounded pretty sexual hey)

Just look at mine compared to Micky C's. His actual box is smaller, only just noticably, and his bass is a lot tighter than mine is, but mine is much louder. Just ask them to keep the box as small as possible, tight boxes are always much better :P

good choice buddy.

hmm... A ten would be slightly tighter, however how they make the box can change the tightness quite a lot (hahaha that sounded pretty sexual hey)

Just look at mine compared to Micky C's. His actual box is smaller, only just noticably, and his bass is a lot tighter than mine is, but mine is much louder. Just ask them to keep the box as small as possible, tight boxes are always much better :P

Cheers Bra, I'll see how I go.

This aint happening until march / april anyway so I'll have time to plan. I still have that quote from Audiotech (even though I was never shown anything). That's basically lower end audio gear but with a clarion double din dvd unit.

With BDL I'm simply getting much better audio gear minus the dvd.

Plus I'm considering whacking this below the deck:

nengun-0734-00-defi-din_gauge_rhd.jpg

i guess the smarter thing would be to leave it at one.

you get your bass, plus you keep your boot space.

ive always wondered what would happen if i built a custom ported sub box to go with the sealed box ive already got. as suprathai said b4, the subs will sound slightly different, so why not have both types?

the ported sub would obviously need to be bigger and if it is moulded to the left side behind the tail lights, and the port would need to be somehow perfectly measured to suit.

or you could make things simpler and leave it at one.

Cheers guys.

It's getting installed professionally at a stereo place davi, plus i'm in Canberra :( thanks for looking out though.

I'm actually having a James Bond style alarm fitted as well :D

--------------------------------

JJ,

Cheers again for that man. I'll see how I go with one to start with, and if I want moarrrrrr, well, I'll just put another in I guess. Makes more sense now that I think about it :)

haha people i just recently put a Kicker solo baric L7 12inch into my car. its in a original kicker box. the downside is i literally have no boot. i mean none wat so ever. i never use my boot anymore but do i love the pure sexi bass. its probably not right to say this but the kicker goes off so hard that i nearly made a chik have an orgasm in the front seat. lollllll

Uber lawl

I met a friend of yours yesterday on PGA btw Sinan :P

He knows Semil as wel.

Uber lawl

I met a friend of yours yesterday on PGA btw Sinan :P

He knows Semil as wel.

wats his name and wats pga. me and semils were the best school mates. black stivo FTW.

10 inches my boy, use it well.

I think that going for 1x10 will be better (and tighter sounding) than 2. The soundwaves from 2 speakers will cause independent nodes and antinodes, so you'd have to position it perfectly for you to hear it; any shift could move your headspace into a node, reducing sound quality. Forget about passengers tho, they stand little chance of hearing the good quality.

Now I know that this is difficult enough physically speaking with 1 woofwoof, but it would certainly be easier than 2. So if quality is what you want, fine-tuning a single unit will be better. If you want to shatter your teeth and get buxom boosoms bouncing, 2 is the go.

10 inches my boy, use it well.

I think that going for 1x10 will be better (and tighter sounding) than 2. The soundwaves from 2 speakers will cause independent nodes and antinodes, so you'd have to position it perfectly for you to hear it; any shift could move your headspace into a node, reducing sound quality. Forget about passengers tho, they stand little chance of hearing the good quality.

Now I know that this is difficult enough physically speaking with 1 woofwoof, but it would certainly be easier than 2. So if quality is what you want, fine-tuning a single unit will be better. If you want to shatter your teeth and get buxom boosoms bouncing, 2 is the go.

Holy ****... :blink:

especially having grown fond of some of the electronica scene.

Electronic music relies heavily on low end, but most of the stuff we have discussed is at a decent BPM so bass notes will be quite short, so I think big subs will have trouble recreating the awesome low end that EDM needs!!!

I have also noticed that with the more rocky stuff your also into relies more on the mid range to drive the track so I guess you cant go wrong with 10"...

I may be wrong tho :P

especially having grown fond of some of the electronica scene.

Electronic music relies heavily on low end, but most of the stuff we have discussed is at a decent BPM so bass notes will be quite short, so I think big subs will have trouble recreating the awesome low end that EDM needs!!!

I have also noticed that with the more rocky stuff your also into relies more on the mid range to drive the track so I guess you cant go wrong with 10"...

I may be wrong tho :P

That's what I was originally thinking ay. The 10 sounded premo with Tiga, 666, Daft Punk etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of getting 2 x 12" subs when i got mine initially. The salesman basically said because the boot is small you need to point the sub east/west and having 2 x 12" would cause the bass to bounce of each other and sound very poor even though the sub may be an expensive one