Noisy tappets

hey ?!

Check youve got plenty of oil in the engine,How long ago since last service,Check condition of oil on the stick( dark,cloudy ,clear etc)How many ks since last service?Any on the floor?? (which I hope u dont) With my experience with the rollas as a service advisor at Toyota,engine discrepencies are next to nil but they do have a tendency for 'Valve slap' or noisy tappets,Youlle know if the oils topped up to capacity,If the oils low theres not enuff lubrication upstairs,So check the oil then thats cool,It may be valve slap,The easy fix is different oil viscosity & maybe a additive worse case is to shim the tappets or 'lash adjusters'

good luck

thanks for the reply.

last and first service was done 2,000 odd kms ago. i haven't noticed any oil leaks, don't check under the car anymore because it's "new", i'll check the oil level in the morning.

would toyota fix this "problem" under warranty? or are tappets considered a deteriorating item?

i know there isn't much harm in noisy tappets, but it's annoying as it's a new car..

Lash adjusters are hydraulic & supposively quiet,but without substantial lubrication still makes noises,& they are not considered a consumable part so they are under warranty,I have seen new cars with the same problem some have opted for shimming in the end,worse lash adjuster replacement.But before they do this theyll check the oil pick up & pump & check the whole lube circuit.Theylle check for leaks external first & internal (worse case)

Youlle neva noe bud,prolly just a case of under lubrication..Its all warranty anyways

checked the oil levels after a drive and warm down for 20minutes. level is spot on and clean as vegitable oil :yahoo:

hahah lol I now see the problem, you should be using Mobile1 not vegitable oil :rolleyes:

istockphoto_2723966_pure_vegetable_oil_angle_view.jpg

hahhahaha At least the oil doesnt boil over & make a crackn good meal on the go!!

• 3 weeks later...

will check it, never knew injectors could be so loud. i just don't recall it being so loud before.

noisy tappets isn't a big issue, unless it's thumping like a 15" sub :blink:

i was thinking of just getting toyota to look over it for my 20k service, still have 7-8000kms to go..

will check it, never knew injectors could be so loud. i just don't recall it being so loud before.

i was thinking of just getting toyota to look over it for my 20k service, still have 7-8000kms to go..

Low pressure injectors (i.e. injectors that supply fuel into the intake ports) aren't normally that loud. I know direct injection injectors (like the ones in my wife's MKV GTI) are pretty loud. The Ultima hatch she had before that (ZZE-122R - 1ZZ-FE) had quiet injectors - same injection into intake port setup as your 2ZR-FE. Get it checked mate, just in case a lash adjuster has bunged itself in and causes consequential damage. :help:

I reckon when Toyota bring out the Valvematic engines to replace the current VVT-i series, they'll go direct injection. Still about 3 years away I'd say...

Low pressure injectors (i.e. injectors that supply fuel into the intake ports) aren't normally that loud. I know direct injection injectors (like the ones in my wife's MKV GTI) are pretty loud. The Ultima hatch she had before that (ZZE-122R - 1ZZ-FE) had quiet injectors - same injection into intake port setup as your 2ZR-FE. Get it checked mate, just in case a lash adjuster has bunged itself in and causes consequential damage. :help:

I reckon when Toyota bring out the Valvematic engines to replace the current VVT-i series, they'll go direct injection. Still about 3 years away I'd say...

itll be interesting to see.

if you want noisey injectors try the nissan rb30 theyre really loud

• 4 months later...

ok, finally got my 20k service done.

I told the serviceman about the noisy tappets and he said he'll look into it, but did mention that it could be the injectors. so i did get the injectors cleaned in the service as it is "recommended" every 12 months. i picked up the car and was told that there is nothing above the norm with my tappets. so i thought it was my injectors, started the car and popped the hood and what do you know, i have a cricket going off like crazy in my engine bay. i didn't bother taking it up with the service center as all the mech's went home and only office staff remained.

If my tappets are what they are meant to sound like i'll chuck the rolla in the bin tomorrow. my '89 civic was quieter that this.

hey ?!

Youlle know if the oils topped up to capacity,If the oils low theres not enuff lubrication upstairs

Theylle check for leaks external first & internal (worse case)

Youlle neva noe bud,prolly just a case of under lubrication..Its all warranty anyways

i find it interesting that for a "service advisor" for toyota you appear to be lacking in the "ability to spell words correctly" department. But i guess i shouldn't single just you out either. There appears to be a lot of this among the younger "i know everything" generation. I have also found this disturbing pattern in our local newspapers here too.

You spend the best part of 12 + years at school, only to go out into the workforce still with the inability to generate correctly spelt words. Is this because of mobile phones and text messaging perhaps??

cheers

hey ?!

Youlle know if the oils topped up to capacity,If the oils low theres not enuff lubrication upstairs

Theylle check for leaks external first & internal (worse case)

i find it interesting that for a "service advisor" for toyota you appear to be lacking in the "ability to spell words correctly" department. But i guess i shouldn't single just you out either. There appears to be a lot of this among the younger "i know everything" generation. I have also found this disturbing pattern in our local newspapers here too.

You spend the best part of 12 + years at school, only to go out into the workforce still with the inability to generate correctly spelt words. Is this because of mobile phones and text messaging perhaps??

cheers

hahah shut up you fool!

i personally couldnt give a rats if my service advisor or mechanic or whatever cant spell .. i couldnt care if they dont know how to tie their own shoe laces... as long as they know whats what under the hood and can offer me advice thats honest , thats all i care about.

Get off your soap box Captain Grammar

i will stand on my soap box for as long as i like....you can't stop me.

this is a free country.

i can,will and do speak my mind. so if you don't like it then stiff bikkies sunshine.

i am entitled to voice my opinion about whatever i wish.....once again if you don't like it then go crawl back under your rock.

cheers

ROFL...

I think the topic was about noisy tappets, not where do I find english lessons...

But anyway, I still tend to think the noise would be related to injectors and if not, then just the internal design in the engine...

My 7AFE is noisy as due to the injectors ticking, but it's all good... Just gotta turn the stereo up and it's gone haha...

this is a free country.

i can,will and do speak my mind. so if you don't like it then stiff bikkies sunshine.

i am entitled to voice my opinion about whatever i wish.....once again if you don't like it then go crawl back under your rock.

cheers

FFS

I know its a free country mate... this is why i have the right of reply.

speak your mind in off topic.. because in case you havent read the topic of this thread its supposed to be about noisy tappets you arrogant ****.

Calling me sunshine not only cements my view on the ignorant older generation, but confirms to me that you are as unimaginative as your 1st comment. Were you sitting there with your cobb webbed up wife telling her "watch this dorris i am gonna teach the younger kids what real english is"

Opps sorry "...going to..."

voice your opinion in another thread.. by all means please create another thread, to which you can dedicate the language that us in the "I know everything" generation use. Bear in mind... we'll be the ones paying your **** old age pension when your body has been saved by modern science invented by one of us so that you could live your miserable life a few years longer.

End rant.

That was a good use of past participle and the future present tense. Good on ya matey!

None the frinkin less, "Cup of Tea" ??

Or is it spelt, freaking? Is there such a work? Freak + ing ??

You are a freak! or You were a freaking freak!

Crack that whip baby!

:P

this is a free country.

cheers

FFS

I know its a free country mate... this is why i have the right of reply.

speak your mind in off topic.. because in case you havent read the topic of this thread its supposed to be about noisy tappets you arrogant ****.

Calling me sunshine not only cements my view on the ignorant older generation, but confirms to me that you are as unimaginative as your 1st comment. Were you sitting there with your cobb webbed up wife telling her "watch this dorris i am gonna teach the younger kids what real english is"

Opps sorry "...going to..."

voice your opinion in another thread.. by all means please create another thread, to which you can dedicate the language that us in the "I know everything" generation use. Bear in mind... we'll be the ones paying your **** old age pension when your body has been saved by modern science invented by one of us so that you could live your miserable life a few years longer.

End rant.