Crunching Gears

Hi Guys,

On the sportivo here are the part numbers as they appeared on the paperwork i have from toyota

Number - Description

TO3123012191 - Bearing Assy, C EK01

TO3121002140 - Cover Assy, CLU EK03

TO3125002090 - Disc Assy, CLUT EK03

Would be interested to find out what they are on a Levin/ascent/conquest/ultima.

Cheers

Bill

Edited by xoom

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's the chassis code for the sportivo?

The ZZE122 and ZZE123 have the same disc and different pressure plate. The celica part for the pressure plate is a valid substitution.

post-148-1101042272_thumb.jpg

post-148-1101042373_thumb.jpg

post-148-1101042516_thumb.jpg

Edited by rollamods

took the stivo into castle hill toyota today.

at first, they said my car was perfectly fine. *cough*

so i told them to take it for another drive, with ME as the passenger.

Sure enough, it was crunching and grinding.

The technician said he's going to "order 2nd and 3rd gear" for me...

i was like..... :huh: ....can't i just have a whole new gear box? <_<

Oh wells...better than nothing.

took the stivo into castle hill toyota today.

at first, they said my car was perfectly fine. *cough*

so i told them to take it for another drive, with ME as the passenger.

Sure enough, it was crunching and grinding.

The technician said he's going to "order 2nd and 3rd gear"  for me...

i was like..... :huh: ....can't i just have a whole new gear box?  <_<

Oh wells...better than nothing.

Why didn't he inspect the matter further, could be just the clutch? The gears arn't broken are they so what for get new gears? :blink:

Because they are idiots. They just want to fix the problem and not the CAUSE of the problem. These people sound complacent. You know, it's like swatting the flies, but leaving the windows wide open because they are too lazy to get up. :angry:

Edited by aaronng

Yep aaronng that just about sum's up toyota's attitude to dealing with all the problems we are having.

Oh n when they think they have tried enough to fix the problem and the problem is still there then it must be the drivers driving style....what a cop out if ever i've seen one

Oh n when they think they have tried enough to fix the problem and the problem is still there then it must be the drivers driving style....what a cop out if ever i've seen one

Has anyone gotten this excuse when their car was still brand new (say 1000-2000km)? Also, the excuse that you should let the car run in to improve the crunching problem is utter BS! :angry::angry::angry:

I havent gotten that excuse since day 1.

The excuse i kept getting since day 1 is

Your problem is not occuring under normal driving conditions. :angry::angry: And this was with less than 500 Km on the dial

If anyone want to know what normal driving conditions is. In the manual for the car it has a table that says when we should shift gears and when we should down shift. Basically i tried it one day and the definition is between 3000-4000 rpm's.

My statement to this is if that is normal driving conditions rig it with an ecu that cuts it out at 5000 rpm's !!!!!!!!!!!

All i can say is toyota has marketed this car with 141KW, that the adrenalen doesnt stop once u drive it, put it head to head with their rally car in their ads etc etc etc and now that consumers want to use the product to the potential that was advertised all we get is excuses. Might explain y the ads disappeared.

Im really keen to see how they advertise the face-lifted sportivo.... I will be writing in to them if they apply the same advertising campaign as ours.

Edited by xoom

If they advertise it using the Rally Sportivo, then you'll have to demand that comes with a 4WD 3S-GTE under the hood. hehe. Reminds me of those Mitsu Lancer ads that say they beat the WRX in Rally Australia, and then at the end show "Mitsubishi Lancer, $19,990". LOL

Firstly I need to apologise to all the Stivo owners with gear problems for thinking you might be whingers.

But this morning I drove a training partners Stivo who has the problem and all I can say is Thank (insert your own Deity) that I don't have this problem.

We drove each others car and I could immediately notice a major difference between the feel of the clutches. Mine takes up much higher than his and feels different just pushing it in (so is it the clutch ?)

By the way he was told by Toyota it's his driving that is the problem as he's pushing against the gate (that stops you accidently putting it back to 1st from 2nd). What a load of cr*p as I don't have the problem and neither does he in my car. And I doubt there would be such a thing anyway but it does feel like you are struggling against something that does not want to let go.

I know why you are so frustrated as it spoils the great thrill of hitting lift and powering on in 2nd (anything more would be illegal right) to 100k's ph.

So I only hope that Toyota accept this problem and help out with the rectification. Come on Toyota you made it you fix it.

Firstly I need to apologise to all the Stivo owners with gear problems for thinking you might be whingers.

But this morning I drove a training partners Stivo who has the problem and all I can say is Thank (insert your own Deity) that I don't have this problem.

We drove each others car and I could immediately notice a major difference between the feel of the clutches. Mine takes up much higher than his and feels different just pushing it in (so is it the clutch ?)

By the way he was told by Toyota it's his driving that is the problem as he's pushing against the gate (that stops you accidently putting it back to 1st from 2nd). What a load of cr*p as I don't have the problem and neither does he in my car. And I doubt there would be such a thing anyway but it does feel like you are struggling against something that does not want to let go.

I know why you are so frustrated as it spoils the great thrill of hitting lift and powering on in 2nd (anything more would be illegal right) to 100k's ph.

So I only hope that Toyota accept this problem and help out with the rectification. Come on Toyota you made it you fix it.

AMEN

MTBrider, you beat me to it, here's my story:-

Last Monday I took my Sportivo in for a service and asked them to check out

the 1st to 2nd gear shift at high RPM, when I got the car back they said they

found nothing wrong. I asked if the foreman would come for a drive with me,

after I shifted from 1st to 2nd at 8,000 he said I was shifting wrong, I said why

doesn't it do it when I shift at 6,000 RPM, he said it will always be a little

more difficult at higher RPM cause the synco's have to work harder??

MTBrider and I had a test drive of each others car today, First MTBrider drove my

Sportivo and his first reaction was how different the clutch felt, he said it felt

harder and had less slip when taking off and it engaged closer to the floor, after

he tried to change from 1st to 2nd at 8,000 rpm said "thats bullsht" he had several

attempts to get a clean shift without success.

It was then my turn to drive MTBrider's Sportivo, his clutch felt softer and the engage point was a long way off the floor and had more slip, the gear shift from 1st to 2nd at 8,000 rpm was much easier!

The difference in feel of the clutch would support my theory that Toyota are using 2 different vendors for their clutches.

I feel that the version of clutch in my Sportivo doesn't fully dissengage, surely

there must be some sort of adjustment??

I'm taking my Sportivo to a different dealer next week for a second opinion.

MTBrider, you beat me to it, here's my story:-

Last Monday I took my Sportivo in for a service and asked them to check out

the 1st to 2nd gear shift at high RPM, when I got the car back they said they

found nothing wrong. I asked if the foreman would come for a drive with me,

after I shifted from 1st to 2nd at 8,000 he said I was shifting wrong, I said why

doesn't it do it when I shift at 6,000 RPM, he said it will always be a little

more difficult at higher RPM cause the synco's have to work harder??

MTBrider and I had a test drive of each others car today, First MTBrider drove my

Sportivo and his first reaction was how different the clutch felt, he said it felt

harder and had less slip when taking off and it engaged closer to the floor, after

he tried to change from 1st to 2nd at 8,000 rpm said "thats bullsht" he had several

attempts to get a clean shift without success.

It was then my turn to drive MTBrider's Sportivo, his clutch felt softer and the engage point was a long way off the floor and had more slip, the gear shift from 1st to 2nd at 8,000 rpm was much easier!

The difference in feel of the clutch would support my theory that Toyota are using 2 different vendors for their clutches.

I feel that the version of clutch in my Sportivo doesn't fully dissengage, surely

there must be some sort of adjustment??

I'm taking my Sportivo to a different dealer next week for a second opinion.

What were the built dates for your Stivos?

next time u take him for a spin let him drive and thel him to rev the car slowly up to 8000 and change gears.. he will find it hard to get it out of first and hard to put it into 2nd.

I had may car tested a month ago at serivce.. and they told me that something was wrong with my car etc.. so they put a new clutch in and same prob.. then they told me they have to wait for toyota aus to look at car which is tom.

wish me luck let u know how it all goes...

Interview with Head of Toyota on GoAuto

Does this mean he is admitting there are bad Toyota cars.

ie Sportivo

JOHN Conomos likes to dismiss himself as “a simple truck

salesman”, a reference to the distant days. But the truth is

he sits as high in the echelons of his motor company as any

Australian executive plying their trade on the globe today.

Mr Conomos is not only executive director of Toyota

Australia but is also only one of a handful of non-Japanese

members currently sitting on the global board.

His international commitments means the man who has

played a key role in masterminding the rise and rise of

Toyota in this country is rarely available to the press.

An interview by Bruce Newton was recorded during a

briefi ng for select media, in which Mr Conomos explains:

200,000 sales target under threat

New model introductions

Fuel pricing hits LandCruiser petrol sales

$1.20 per litre will change buyer behaviour

Preparations for fuel price surge

Large cars the toughest segment

The fundamental buying pattern change in large cars

No bad cars anymore

The one million new vehicle sales market

The slowing rate of growth

guys and girls.

sorry to hear about everyones gear problems,, i had them with the ratteling gear selector cables etc.. i just got back from Longreach and picked up my car and what they had done was incredible ,,,

the new gear selector kit,, made a huge difference to my car,, the gears actually stick,, they move into place easily and the shift feels alot shorter aswell.. if you haven't asked them to do anything yet,, go in and ask your service person to order you in the kit,, whether or not you can get it under warranty or not and tell them to chux it in for you..

give it a go... just talk to them reasonably .. they know less than we do..

cheers

guys and girls.

sorry to hear about everyones gear problems,, i had them with the ratteling gear selector cables etc.. i just got back from Longreach and picked up my car and what they had done was incredible ,,,

the new gear selector kit,, made a huge difference to my car,, the gears actually stick,, they move into place easily and the shift feels alot shorter aswell.. if you haven't asked them to do anything yet,, go in and ask your service person to order you in the kit,, whether or not you can get it under warranty or not and tell them to chux it in for you..

give it a go... just talk to them reasonably .. they know less than we do..

cheers

You mean the gear selector cable and new gearknob recall jobbie? Had that done, gear shifter is tighter and fimer but still didn't solve the gear shifter jamming issue.

next time u take him for a spin let him drive and thel him to rev the car slowly up to 8000 and change gears.. he will find it hard to get it out of first and hard to put it into 2nd.

I had may car tested a month ago at serivce.. and they told me that something was wrong with my car etc.. so they put a new clutch in and same prob.. then they told me they have to wait for toyota aus to look at car which is tom.

wish me luck let u know how it all goes...

Did you get your old clutch back mate? Toyota could have lied you know :blink: .

Anyone getting their clutch replaced ask to see the old one.

i made the mistake of not asking and when i left the dealership i was sure the clutch felt exactly the same as the old one only minus the noises it was making before....took only 1500 km's to get the grinding/scraping noises back and then they were able to say well your new clutch fixed it for 1500 km's and because the problem is back well it must be the way ur driving the car.

For all i know they could have applied some WD40 to what ever was causing the noise tightened a few nuts n bolts n thats it....... :angry::angry::angry:

Learn from my mistake ..... ask to see all parts changed by toyota

cheers

Bill

hey guys. Here's how it went on Thurs.

I got there at the Toyota service and the lady that I normally deal with was not there. i spoke to another customer service rep and got into a fight with him. He was telling me that it is ridiculous taking the car up to 8000RPM and wouldn't even talk to me about it. As far as he's concerned they will not look at the problem anymore for me as he thinks that driving under those conditions is ridiculous. So I go off saying what's the point of 141KW at 7800RPM when we can't take it to that rev range etc etc (u know the whole deal). He just wouldn't listen to me. Kept on saying that's ridiculous. he went back and came back with the service manager and he told me to go back and talk to Jenny Stewart. They don't wanna deal with this issue anymore. So I rang Jenny as soon as I got home and she said that all she can do is pass any feed back to the technical team in Mel. That is all she can do and will be mointoring it.

I am now all finished with Peter Warren Toyota and will not be going back there again. I still have 1 free service which I will use up and that's it. I've had it!. :angry: