Just does not feel right, powers?

Alright, had my sportivo as said previously for roughly 2 years. I have been impressed by it and also not impressed. I feel some days i have to rip the guts out of it to get some decent power out of it. I feel a bit like a hoon too because of this. I am not a massive car expert but came someone shed some light to why this is happening. I have not issues with the car it just came out of it 60,000km service and i made sure my clutch and gearbox where throughly check and all came back clear.

More or less i am just worried that due to me having to hit a 4 or 5 grand rev to keep up for a decent flow of traffic with a v8 commo on my ***** it just feels like i expected more power?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a 1.8L N/A 4 pottter

You expect it to have mountains of torque and power, get real mate.

I find that changing gears at around 3.5krpm normally keeps me ahead of traffic, so I dunno about you.

And its a V8 commo, if its gen3 then its hard to keep up if he gunned it.

Is it stock??? If it is then modify it. You want more poke at lower rpm then get CES catback, ported headers and a CAI then you will have all the throttle response you'll need. And a Gen 3(stocko) will have to try real hard to get away with any sort of ease.

We would have an edge over an LS1 from a standing start. Come 100km/h + wave goodbye as his uber torque curve smashes you into oblivion...

...until of course, he is greeted with a corner. Then we would wave at him, as he struggles with the complexity of his car's boat like qualities and uber understeer.

Celica's and Sportivo's are made to rev. Rev it. When you want to go fast, go fast.

It's like making love, going slow and cruising is always good, but sometimes being rough and fast is required.

I read in som docco that Toyota tested the 2ZZ at revs in excess of 6k for prolonged peroids of time and discovered no significant wear or tear issues in any components.

I think it was the docco outlining the manufacture of the engine (a pdf sitting on my other poota)

I read in som docco that Toyota tested the 2ZZ at revs in excess of 6k for prolonged peroids of time and discovered no significant wear or tear issues in any components.

I think it was the docco outlining the manufacture of the engine (a pdf sitting on my other poota)

Yea I remeber reading somewhere that they actually ran the 2ZZ engine at red line for an hour with no dramas....could be a load of internet sh*t thought

Edited by Seano

We would have an edge over an LS1 from a standing start. Come 100km/h + wave goodbye as his uber torque curve smashes you into oblivion...

...until of course, he is greeted with a corner. Then we would wave at him, as he struggles with the complexity of his car's boat like qualities and uber understeer.

Celica's and Sportivo's are made to rev. Rev it. When you want to go fast, go fast.

It's like making love, going slow and cruising is always good, but sometimes being rough and fast is required.

hmmm sounds like your an expert at it :P

Sportivo (And Celica) with the 2zz engine are designed to be revved high to make power. If you look at some of the Dyno charts floating around the forum (Except for Xoom's) You'll see there's a big jump in power when it engages lift after 6000rpm.

just get cold air intake for a nicer below lift driving.

I used to feel very tired driving the celica, but after I installed cold air intake the car much much easier to drive around town. No more fatique, unless it is a hot day and the car do feel asmathic and back to fatique again.

Alright, had my sportivo as said previously for roughly 2 years. I have been impressed by it and also not impressed. I feel some days i have to rip the guts out of it to get some decent power out of it. I feel a bit like a hoon too because of this. I am not a massive car expert but came someone shed some light to why this is happening. I have not issues with the car it just came out of it 60,000km service and i made sure my clutch and gearbox where throughly check and all came back clear.

More or less i am just worried that due to me having to hit a 4 or 5 grand rev to keep up for a decent flow of traffic with a v8 commo on my ***** it just feels like i expected more power?

Question, why would you buy a sportivo if you don't rev it past 6 grand.

Plus i don't know how many car you have owned, but each car I've owned feels a bit off every now and then. Its got a lot to do with temp, fuels, oils, etc but the main factor is the driver!!!!Some days you are just harder to impress.

But i have got no idea how you have been driving a stivo under 6 grand, you might as well go buy an accent, it'll probably feel faster.

Hmm, my experiance with LS1's is that they get ahead of me low down, then when i'm in lift they cant pull away any further, or when i'm in lift they can't pull past me.

DANZZT231 is right though, if you have a spare hundred or two invest in an CAI. For me personally it provided the biggest difference in low-mid range torque. Exhaust doesn't seem to give as much a gain compared to the CAI. After the CAI my car's third gear provided much more pulling power compared to before, my exact response was "Sh!t!!"

CES CAI

2.5" Catback Exhaust

Ported Headers

Eibach Valve Springs

Supertech Valves

Piper Stg2/3 Cams (in your case I would go with stg 2 as your not comfortable with high revving engine)

PFC

supercharger is the solution if you after instaneous tourqe.

but overall I still believe CAI is the best bang for your buck if you after simple modification. Buy it and you won't regret it.

Unless you already have one and still find it lacking.

I've only got a 1zz Corolla but I'm agreeing with all the rest. I spent the 300~ to get a TRD Cai and the difference is quite obvious. You get a big more mid-range power, and the sound... omg <3

But yeah keep in mind the 2ZZ-GE really is made to be "flogged". Surely you noticed your redline is about 8400? (correct me if I'm wrong on that guys). When your engine reaches 6000rpm a set of high cams open right up and give the power another kick up the butt. I'm getting a Celica in about 5 months just for the lift yo!

It's not all the time you can use lift on day to day driving, and in most cases you probably don't use it at all.

So it is good to improve low-mid powerband, and the high end power is considered a plus.

Even better again if you can increase the engine response by changing to a lightweight flywheel.

Depending on how you like it to be, personally I think for day-to-day driving, cold air intake should be enough for most who just want that extra pulling power below lift. And you will be smiling too when you hit lift.

You're missing the whole point of VVTLi and VTEC...

The idea is to have a normal well-behaved engine below 6000RPM and then a suprising slap in the face of torque and power after 6000RPM.

There is a normal/economy camshaft that makes your engine behave like a normal Corolla until around 5200RPM, then oil pressure builds and the engine engages the performance camshaft which is much more agressive and opens the valves wider and for longer periods of time. Hitting the high-cam is not ripping the guts out of it, it's designed to do that, and you aren't making excessive noise or pollution because the car has passed all ADR's so you are not a hoon either.

If you want a lump of torque under 5000RPM like a V8, then buy a V8. If you want instant usable power between 2000 and 6000RPM then buy a turbo car. But if you want a car with 2 engines in 1, great fuel economy and a bit of fun whenever you want it, then stick with the VVTLi and don't whinge! :lol:

Hmm, my experiance with LS1's is that they get ahead of me low down, then when i'm in lift they cant pull away any further, or when i'm in lift they can't pull past me.

They must be slowing down man. That's all I can think of. Those LS1's are still dinosaur spec pushrod driven, but the torque they have up top is insane.

Unless that is, I haven't driven my old mans car without a full tank on board yet...

hmmm sounds like your an expert at it :P

lol

I have this too, a mate said something about it the other night too...

"What happened to lift?! it used to be like WOOOOAH!! now its like yeh rad, how ya going..."

Must get her looked at

Edited by Simo

You're missing the whole point of VVTLi and VTEC...

The idea is to have a normal well-behaved engine below 6000RPM and then a suprising slap in the face of torque and power after 6000RPM.

There is a normal/economy camshaft that makes your engine behave like a normal Corolla until around 5200RPM, then oil pressure builds and the engine engages the performance camshaft which is much more agressive and opens the valves wider and for longer periods of time. Hitting the high-cam is not ripping the guts out of it, it's designed to do that, and you aren't making excessive noise or pollution because the car has passed all ADR's so you are not a hoon either.

If you want a lump of torque under 5000RPM like a V8, then buy a V8. If you want instant usable power between 2000 and 6000RPM then buy a turbo car. But if you want a car with 2 engines in 1, great fuel economy and a bit of fun whenever you want it, then stick with the VVTLi and don't whinge! :lol:

instant usable power... turbo... should they be in the same sentence? maybe you should have said supercharged...

its great and all to have lift and that extra kick.. but I don't see the point of having it kick in at 6000rpm... who revs the guts out of their stivos in every day driving? i know some people are lead foots and like to guzzle the fuel but in my sc rolla now and then i'll redline which is all good, i just think 6k is too high IMO

just get a cai, its great bang for your buck, at first mine felt pretty much the same as stock, but i reseted the ecu and WOW! its mad!

but personally i think u had bought the wrong car, u probably better suited to big v8s or skyline or other torque monsters