Presara Moon Roof Rattle

Is it a very slight (low volume) and intermittent rattle ? Is it apparent when the inner cover is open and not when closed? At least that is one rattle I've discovered over last few days, but it's so slight that if radio is on it can't be heard, and it's only present over bumps when the inner cover is fully open. I'm driving around touching/holding various parts at the moment to isolate the culprit for my next service complaint...

I have a passenger side dash squeak (also intermittent) which is a lot more annoying. I would happily keep the moonroof one over the dash one... problem is that I can't replicate it on demand, so no doubt when I take it in for service I won't be able to demonstrate the problem. :( (Murphy's law)

Is it a very slight (low volume) and intermittent rattle ? Is it apparent when the inner cover is open and not when closed? At least that is one rattle I've discovered over last few days, but it's so slight that if radio is on it can't be heard, and it's only present over bumps when the inner cover is fully open. I'm driving around touching/holding various parts at the moment to isolate the culprit for my next service complaint...

I have a passenger side dash squeak (also intermittent) which is a lot more annoying. I would happily keep the moonroof one over the dash one... problem is that I can't replicate it on demand, so no doubt when I take it in for service I won't be able to demonstrate the problem. :( (Murphy's law)

Thanks for the reply

Definetly intermittent but not so slight in my vehicle. It is apparent whether the inner cover is open or closed but it is only present when driving over bumps. Mind you the bumps dont have to be very large at all for it to occur. I will have it looked at when I have the first service done.

I have read a few posts about this dash squeak problem and have been listending closely to see if developes in my vehicle. I haven't heard anything yet (fingers crossed) My BF Ford ute had a squeaky dash and it was very frustrating. When did you first notice it in the Presara? Is it getting worse or just consistently annoying?

Yeah mine rattles like a dog, its getting worse now, it used to rattle with the cover open and the moonroof closed but now with the cover closed its starting to make noises as well.

Mine is probably worse even with the radio up its very noticable.

Im going to raise this on my next service.

I have a Presara with the same very slight rattle too only when the cover is open can you hear it too.

I have the same problem. I have cleand the mooh roof side rubber with water, dust gets in the rubber. And its ok. Toyota must have some type of clear tape that they can put on the frame to fix this. As some times they use the on the door fram.

I have the same problem. I have cleand the mooh roof side rubber with water, dust gets in the rubber. And its ok. Toyota must have some type of clear tape that they can put on the frame to fix this. As some times they use the on the door fram.

I have the same problem in my car - tried cleaning and everything - worked ok for a few days and the noise is back. TOYOTA SUCKS - will sell mine and get a Holden.

I have the same problem in my car - tried cleaning and everything - worked ok for a few days and the noise is back. TOYOTA SUCKS - will sell mine and get a Holden.

Can not ever imagine being that desparate. Might be an idea to check out the Commadore owners forum, there sure are some frightening stories there.

How about cleaning the rubber and applying Armor All.

Regards

Quark

Everything rattles in a Holden, they are designed that way, its the step before the plastic bits start to break...I've had 2 VE Calais V Series...absolute crap both of them.....DONT DO IT you have been warned...

Toyota owners have a good product.

Cheers

Edited by ME70

Yeah I don't think the assembly of the car isnt all to well...

A Holdenwoo sux just wait for the next recall, wait for the FG Ford I was mildly impressed with the range at the motorshow.

I'm not convinced that this will help in my situation as the rattle is also there when the moon roof is open (in either the up or slide position). The rubber seals are not stressed when moon roof is open, therefore that can't be the problem in my car.

I keep trying to isolate the noise, can't believe how temperamental and difficult it is... Likewise for the dash, just far enough to be out of reach for the driver. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not convinced that this will help in my situation as the rattle is also there when the moon roof is open (in either the up or slide position). The rubber seals are not stressed when moon roof is open, therefore that can't be the problem in my car.

I keep trying to isolate the noise, can't believe how temperamental and difficult it is... Likewise for the dash, just far enough to be out of reach for the driver. :blink:

Hi riftime,

Just had a look at the Sliding Roof pdf from the manuals site at the front of our forum. The diagrams on page RF-41 show the many setscews fixing the associated parts for the sliding roof in place along with the torque setting for each set screw. Might be the place to start looking, checking that none of these setscrews have worked loose.

Not sure as to how accessible they will be, but judging by the number of them involved this looks a likely spot to look for the cause of your rattle.

Regards

Quark

Hi riftime,

Just had a look at the Sliding Roof pdf from the manuals site at the front of our forum. The diagrams on page RF-41 show the many setscews fixing the associated parts for the sliding roof in place along with the torque setting for each set screw. Might be the place to start looking, checking that none of these setscrews have worked loose.

Not sure as to how accessible they will be, but judging by the number of them involved this looks a likely spot to look for the cause of your rattle.

Thanks for that advice, I'll have a look over the weekend, I'll let you know if I find anything there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have applied a silicon based spray to the surrounds of the rubber(not the actual rubber, but what the rubber touches). Seems to be fine (when I push it). I will dirve the car tomorrow and see if it is fixed (the silicon spray won't wear away either).

I will see how I go and reply here!!

Edited by Aurion

Well here you go my Moon Roof has a binding problem of metal touches each other, I have provide a Video of the problem I'm have captured.

Apparently it only happens on one side of the car, and the binding noise happens when ever the car hit a bump in the road or car twist eg: when the car is on and uneven surface, or just as the car move up a driveway or a transition of a slope on road the front wheel are on a different surface compare to the rear wheels.

Anyway the problem is the area (I point my finger too) is where the sound of the binding metal panels is coming from.

Anyway have a look at the video and see if you can move the same panel as mind, to reproduced the binding of metal panels? is your the same as mind!!!

Moonroof problem

Edited by Aurion ZR6

Well here you go my Moon Roof has a binding problem of metal touches each other, I have provide a Video of the problem I'm have captured.

Apparently it only happens on one side of the car, and the binding noise happens when ever the car hit a bump in the road or car twist eg: when the car is on and uneven surface, or just as the car move up a driveway or a transition of a slope on road the front wheel are on a different surface compare to the rear wheels.

Anyway the problem is the area (I point my finger too) is where the sound of the binding metal panels is coming from.

Anyway have a look at the video and see if you can move the same panel as mind, to reproduced the binding of metal panels? is your the same as mind!!!

Moonroof problem

Hmmm...just tried that...and it's not my problem!!

My problem is a bit better after applying the silicon spray. I think I might try another type of spray on it soon.

The area that is making my noise is unreachable, and the moon roof would need to be removed to find why it is rubbing between the metal panels.

If I move it with one hand and hold onto the area where the sound is coming from with my other hand, you can definitely feel the sound through my hand, as this is the area where the sound is coming from as on my video.