Hotting up a ASENT

hey there,

at the moment im saving up for a Nissan 180sx, so for the mean time im driving my mums ASENT :D and i was thinking of doing afew mods as to look good in it while im saving up :P so far ive debadge it only leaving the Toyota emblem on the back. i want to put maybe 17" alloys, exhaust, lower it and may the sportivo body kit! B)

you guyz know trd website or any sites that sell stivo bodykit? is the stivo exhaust good enuff or go a aftermarket?

To my knowlege mate, the only place the sells the Sportivo body Kit is Toyota, so pop on down to your friendly dealership and screw them for a deal....

The only difference is you won't get the chrome 'Sportivo' badging for the side skit unless you order that separatley as a part and not an accessory.

Most 'speed/styling' shops will be able to participate in the sale of a body kit of some form, but you'll find it wont resemble the Spotivo one...

As for other mods, well I don't know too much about exhausts as I haven't touched mine (still running stock system) but from what I hear round the joint, on Corollas you will really need to outlay some green.

Just adding the ol $299 Cannon style exhaust I hear will actually create a reduction on power but check with Danthuyer because I think he has the details of a good setup that will give a power increase at a reasonable cost.

As for other mods, thry Cold Air Intake, nice set of wheels, tint your windows a little - but please don't use those cheeky $99.00 'Darkest Legal Tint' specials.

My last Corolla had a 'Titanium' tint from Ming on it. Cost me a couple of hundred, but well worth the investment. Not the darkest tint job in the world, but highly effective and I am sure anyone else that has had it would vouch for it. I will be putting the same on my Sportivo just as soon as Mr Credit Card gives me permission.

Don't go too nuts with your wheels is my suggestion. Just a nice set of 16's or 17's. Remember the bigger you go the more your rubber will cost, and I don't think too many states will allow increase in size past 17 anyway.

If you really wanted to go for the sleeper thing, keep the Ascent badging and styling (ie no sportivo kit) but put the sportivo engine in. In the words of my good ol buddy Kevin Bloody Wilson - "That'll F**K 'Em"

Have fun and don't get ripped off...

Cheers

Aaron

Actually if you're "saving" up for a 180sx, why spend the $$$ on doin up your mum's Corolla when eventually it's not going to be your own car.

In my opinion, save your money and buy a Sportivo. Anyone seconds that opinion? :P

But to answer your question and keep this topic on track, I reckon 16" wheels, don't do the suspension or your mum won't be able to drive it. Do the tint, put eyelids on and badge the car.

If you're saving for another car, don't bother with a body kit - Just keep it simple, a set of wheels, suspension and a well thought out exhaust does the trick. Have a look at mine in the last few pages of the gallery and you'll see the difference these simple things do.

If your planning on keeping the Ascent for a while, and you will be the primary driver of the car and not your mum then there is a few things you can do.

Toyota Sports Grille - Get rid of the stcok grille as your first move.

17' wheels, and superlow springs. Seen this done on one Ascent already and it looks great, no bodykit is needed since the car sits perfectly low without scraping the floor with the springs. Much cheaper option as well. If you have to be unique, 18' will also fit.

Remus exhaust would be next, its not a cannon or anything but a nice subtle twin tipped exhaust made for the Ascent, costs roughly $750-$850 however.

TRD Cold Air Intake - Im getting my car back today with this fitted, so ive no idea how it runs but im sure its worth it. Thats $450.

Genie headers/ Extractors - The next mod im getting myself, no idea on price or performance.

After those mods you would be pretty happy. I know you said exterior mods only but getting a bit of sound to prove your accelerating in the ascent is always a nice thing to have.

But if its really your mums car and she is driving it most of the time and doesnt have an interest in cars what so ever, then personally I wouldnt touch it and id just be happy to have a car to drive around in for a start. :D

Visit the TRD website and talk to Bruce at TRD sales for prices as it varies due to exchange rate. I would recommend keep the Corolla as it is and get the Sportivo as Egene pointed out :lol: Otherwise save all that cash for "refreshing" your 180sx. You will need it.

Actually if you're "saving" up for a 180sx, why spend the $$$ on doin up your mum's Corolla when eventually it's not going to be your own car.

In my opinion, save your money and buy a Sportivo. Anyone seconds that opinion?  :P

But to answer your question and keep this topic on track, I reckon 16" wheels, don't do the suspension or your mum won't be able to drive it. Do the tint, put eyelids on and badge the car.

Save the money and buy a stivo.

Why spend money on your mums shopping trolly when you can save and spend it on your own car when you get it... If you are doing just so you look good for your mates when driving, that is lame and you should get a life!!!

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with personalising a car but if you are doing to a car that is technically not even yours just to look good, then the money could quite easilly directed elsewhere that you are sure to get more long term pleasure from!!! IMHO

Don't buy a 180. there like a55holes- everybody's got one and does the same old thing to 'em. I agree with E-gene on this one. If you want a performance car and you don't mind the corolla's look or shape then go and get a drive of a Sportivo. Trust me the 180 probably won't be such an entertaining though once you've driven a Stivo :D Plus your buying a new car and not some five to ten year old import covered in Japanese fallout. Think of the cost of insurance for a 180.(turbo, sports coupe) 2 words insurance companies love to hear in the same sentence. I don't know how old you are but weigh up all your options before making a decision.

Cheers

thanks guyz,

i think ill just save the money and drive the acsent the way it is! :D

i reakon the sportivo is very nice car and i wish my mum bought one instead of the acsent!!! :angry:

dont you guyz mind that the sportivo is front wheel drive and wish its a rear wheel? :P

dont you guyz mind that the sportivo is front wheel drive and wish its a rear wheel? :P

I used to own a RWD car a long time ago, it was an 85 celica with a 2.4 corona engine, not much power but plenty of torque to smoke those skinny 185/14's on it and it was auto. The car got me in trouble soo many times in the wet that i actually recognise the FWD cars as much safer to drive in the wet, as for the dry weather handling, they are pretty darn good.

Personally I like FWD.

I remember a motoring reporter on TV trying to explain it with a stick. He put a weight on the front and threw it the stick went far and straight (FWD) he put the weight on the back (RWD) and threw it . it didn't go very well wobbling all over the place. Simplistic explanation but true to a point especially in the wet.

i too like FWD, cause you know you can take the corner and stay within your line

and plant it off

ANyhoos

you can do cheap mods to the ascent.

First pull off them dam black door bumper things, and you have a shiny silver surface

Then get tints,

Then lower your ride

Then find some rims, second hand is best

There are heaps of rims for sale on www.toymods.org.au, or this forum

I got my 16inch Sportivo ones for 750 with brand new tyres, just 2 days old

lowering cost around 400, just go for kings, usually the cheapest, and they set quite a bit so your car gets lowered within a year

All this for the low price of 1000

hehehhehe

and you will be happy with your car

Keep a strong grip on the wheel in the wet. Had some fun in mine recently when pulling out of a side street up a slight hill and planting the foot and feeling the car drift to the left, then hit second and hit lift, kept drifting and smacked the limiter, grabbed third and same thing. I pulled some right hand lock on got it straight in third and then it finally grabbed traction just as I hit lift in third. Talk about a sling shot! Who says you can't drift with the front wheels! :P